Old 07-29-2017, 10:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default What disc brake conversion kit to get ??

Iam looking into putting a disc brake kit on my 64 Grand Prix...car has power drums now...and would like power front discs. What kits have you found to be the best...well..without breaking the bank. Car is just a cruiser . thanks

Old 07-30-2017, 03:19 AM
Senior Chief

I went with Master Power Brakes

Old 07-30-2017, 08:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Scarebird is another option. They sell the mounting brackets, designed for use with the other components (rotors, calipers, etc.) that are commonly available parts you can source locally.

Old 07-30-2017, 09:45 PM
Senior Chief

I should point out that I went with MP because I am in Australia and we do not have any Pontiacs in wrecking yards down here, so the option of sourcing other parts wasn't viable compared to buying it all in one kit.

Old 07-30-2017, 10:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

It's getting harder to find 5x5 brake discs as well even in the US. I think RockAuto has them but I'm not sure about the shipping costs. I kinda wish I would've gone with a complete kit but I was afraid of the kit not explaining what parts were used when it comes time to do a brake job. Then again it could have really been a weekend project instead of ordering, waiting, finding out you forgot something, and repeat.

Old 07-31-2017, 01:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I put the Master Power Brake kit on my 1964 GP about 4 years ago with good results. I am also using 15" Rally II wheels.

Old 07-31-2017, 08:51 AM

Scarebird disc conversion along with MP dual M/C is what I went with for my 62 Catalina. No issues. Very happy. Do a search on this site. Much information on this topic.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatracer1 View Post
I put the Master Power Brake kit on my 1964 GP about 4 years ago with good results. I am also using 15" Rally II wheels.
Where did you get those 5x5 Rally ll wheels in 15 inch ?

Old 07-31-2017, 10:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSLCAH View Post
Where did you get those 5x5 Rally ll wheels in 15 inch ?
I'd think they wouldn't be terribly hard to find at a salvage yard. They were an option on full size cars from 1971 through 1976, and wheels on some of the 1977 and newer big cars were 5x5 as well.

Old 07-31-2017, 11:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyyy View Post
It's getting harder to find 5x5 brake discs as well even in the US. I think RockAuto has them but I'm not sure about the shipping costs. I kinda wish I would've gone with a complete kit but I was afraid of the kit not explaining what parts were used when it comes time to do a brake job. Then again it could have really been a weekend project instead of ordering, waiting, finding out you forgot something, and repeat.
When I got mine, NAPA had them as well as RockAuto, but RA had a much better price.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 08-02-2017, 06:59 PM
Senior Chief

I went with the Master Power kit on my '64 GP. I'm not done installing the kit yet (still need to install the new booster/master cyl and run the brake lines), but it has been a good install so far. The company has been helpful and the instructions are pretty good.

I've heard great things too about Scarebird's kit. He's regularly in this forum. I went with MP because the kit was complete. No need to hunt down the correct parts (though Scarebird does tell you which ones to get) and risk missing something or getting the wrong parts. I believe Scarebird's kit may be a bit cheaper, depending on how well you did getting the best price on the parts.

I don't think you can go wrong either way. I think it's just a matter of preference and what you are comfortable with.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The wheels were used on lots of big Pontiacs from 1967 to late 1970s. I got 4 from a friend and 1 from the junkyard with a good tire on it for $15. You often see them at swap meets. Cheap!

Old 08-02-2017, 10:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I used Scarebird for a 4 wheel disc conversion on my '66 GP

1970 GTO Convertible 455 Ram Air M-21, Atoll/Blue/Black, Hood Tach, 3:31 12-Bolt Posi, A/C, Console

1966 Grand Prix 421 Tripower 4spd, Marina Turquoise/Turquoise, a/c, console, posi, reverb. pa, pb, ps, remote mirror, mats

2010 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic, 6spd Hemi, Detonator Yellow, black stripe, black leather
Old 08-03-2017, 08:03 PM
Senior Chief

I actually bolted my kit up yesterday and I have to say the Master Power kit is nice quality for a sedate cruiser. Although I haven't driven the car I am not sure the supplied calipers will be any use for people who like driving their car harder than a nice cruise or in a sedate manner (not a worry for me).

I have had some issues with the parts supplied to me being incorrect but the after-sales service has been amazing and the Master Power staff have shipped me new parts halfway around the world in only a couple of days.

Old 08-05-2017, 12:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv View Post
I actually bolted my kit up yesterday and I have to say the Master Power kit is nice quality for a sedate cruiser. Although I haven't driven the car I am not sure the supplied calipers will be any use for people who like driving their car harder than a nice cruise or in a sedate manner (not a worry for me).

I have had some issues with the parts supplied to me being incorrect but the after-sales service has been amazing and the Master Power staff have shipped me new parts halfway around the world in only a couple of days.
Always good to hear that a vendor stands behind their product.

Jim

65 Catalina sedan. Allen Thomas Performance 495. KRE Heads at 310cfm ported by SD Performance, ProSystems Dominator carb on ported Victor intake, P-Dude custom grind hydraulic roller, MSD ignition, 3.50 Moser/Ford rear. F-Glass front bumper by son Rob, rear by the old man and joint effort for trunk lid. 3950# w/driver. Best of 9.5761/139 on 175 shot, 6.01 /114 in 1/8.