THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 02:38 PM
Pontiac performance Author

Default Dodge Demon stats

More powerful than a locomotive...er, a Hellcat. LOl!

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/bus...ers/103909632/

Major excerpt:

Quote:
To help us wrap our heads around the Demon’s world, Dodge’s mad genius engineer Chris Cowland and his merry crew shared a few more numbers.

■Demon has a 200 mph speedometer, but is governed at a top speed of 168-mph lest the street-legal, radial racing tires explode from the heat generated by sub-10-second quarter-mile times.

■Just 800 feet off the line (7.35 seconds down the drag strip), the hungry, supercharged, 6.2-liter V-8 will have sucked the equivalent of all of the air out of the Demon’s cabin. That’s 2,973 liters of air (at a record rate of 32,564 liters per minute). When Dodge’s unholy warrior crosses the quarter-mile it will have consumer 4,900 liters.

■To up the ante over the insane, 707-horse Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat, the bonkers Demon underwent 25 major component upgrades including a larger supercharger (2.7 liters vs. 2.4 liters) and a higher redline (6,500 rpm vs. 6,200 rpm).

■In order to produce 840 horsepower, Demon was outfitted with high-flow fuel injectors (that’s 101 pounds per square-inch — or 27 percent more than the 707-horse Hellcat’s 80 PSI). At full power, Demon is drinking 1.36 gallons-per-minute of high-octane unleaded gasoline — or nearly the same amount of liquid (two gallons per minute) that comes out of your shower head.

■ So powerful was the Demon’s supercharged V-8 that only a NASCAR-rated dynamometer could hold it for testing.

■Each piston downstroke — which occurs 50 times a second — is delivered with the compressive force of 11.1 tons from the cylinder chamber.

■How do you get 11.1 tons of compressive force? Ram supercharged air and fuel into a combustion chamber and detonate it with a spark plug, of course – an explosion that creates a peak combustion temperature of 4,500 degrees. That’s almost half the temperature of the sun’s surface.

■Isn’t that enough heat to melt the aluminum cylinder head? In theory, yes, since aluminum (depending on alloy) melts at 1,200-1,300 degrees. Fortunately, that heat is quickly dissipated — to crankshaft power, the exhaust, engine structure and heat transfer into surrounding coolant. As a result, the head stays at around 480 degrees.

■Demon is the first-ever production car to lift its front wheels — the result of a 2,576-pound weight transfer at launch to the rear which carries the fronts for a Guinness World Record wheelie of 35 inches long.

■On 91-octane pump gas, the Demon produces 808 horsepower and 717 pound-feet of torque. Add the available engine controller (found in the $1 Demon crate full of drag goodies) — calibrated for 100-plus, unleaded, high-octane fuel — and you get the full 840 horse/770 torque numbers.

■The Demon wears 12.6-inch-wide Nitto drag racing tires on all four corners (for optimum quarter-mile performance, Dodge recommends replacing the fronts with skinny “rollers” — also in the crate — for lower roll-resistance). An IndyCar’s race tires measure 10 inches wide in front and 14 inches in the rear.

■Atop the Demon’s hood is the largest functional hood scoop — with an opening 45.2 square inches — in production today.

■To save 113 pounds of weight, the front and rear passenger seats were removed (they can be optioned back for $1 each).

■To save 4 pounds, Demon uses a manual tilt/telescope steering column.

■For all its steroid-pumped power, the $86,090 Demon still comes with Fiat-Chrysler’s standard five-year/60,000-mile limited powertrain coverage.

■Dodge will make 3,000 Demons for the U.S. and 300 for Canada. Deliveries begin around Halloween.
This is a seriously bad ass muscle car.

Old 07-25-2017, 02:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I read Dodge was not going to let dealers mark them up, to get around that dealers are "auctioning off" the rights to buy it at MSRP.
I'd be ok with that if the money went to charity or something but it really should just be a lottery draw for buyers.
Guess the dealer doesn't want the buyer making money on a re-sell.

Old 07-25-2017, 03:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This is from early April, I didn't look to see if there are changes to the rules.
----

Effective April 10th, 2015, Dodge will limit the amount of markup that dealers can change above the MSRP price for all Dodge Challenger Hellcat models and Dodge Charger Hellcat models. The over-MSRP maximum limit is being set at $8,500. The new rule is in response to reports of dealer mark-ups that have exceeded MSRP by an average of $9,500, and in some cases as high as $25,000-$30,000.

Tim Kuniskis (President and Chief Executive Officer - Dodge Brand and SRT Brand, FCA - North America) said Dodge "worked hard" to price the Challenger SRT Hellcat at what he called an attainable $60,990, including shipping, "but that all goes out the window if this car ends up with $20,000 market adjustments on it."

The new over-MSRP cap at this time will only apply to U.S. dealers. Dodge is currently working on a similar plan for Canadian dealers.

http://www.hellcat.org/threads/dodge...ver-msrp.5587/

---

It's one thing to include "market adjustments" to the price of a car, but as we've seen on all too many other vehicles the whole thing can turn into a cash grab for the dealers which creates unrealistic pricing for people who actually want to use the car instead of flipping it to investors at the next big auction. Some years ago a friend bought a Shelby GT500; he called dealers all over the place to find them adding ridiculous markups to the car, but eventually found a dealer who agreed to sell it for MSRP.

Old 07-25-2017, 03:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I love the Challenger, and this latest incarnation, makes me like them even more.

I know a local who bought one of the very first (2008) Challengers;
Production for the Canadian market for 2008 my Challenger (all SRT/automatic) was 500;
Canadian cars actually received specific "500" badges in the grilles;
This guy, is a 'salt of the earth' guy, and put down a deposit as soon as pre-orders were being taken;
I cannot exactly recall his story, but it went something like, the dealer called back some months later, and tried to extort several extra thousand out of him for the privelage of getting one of the '500' cars;
He couldn't afford it.
It was either a zone rep, or maybe the dealership owner who intervened, and ensured he got his car...
Last I spoke to him, he still loved the car, drove it sparingly, and felt very lucky to have one of these low production run inaugural cars.

I understand that people are always looking to make an extra buck, but it makes no sise to gouge the customer;
Those cars will be in for service - so the dealer will make money on cars sold - so even if the selling margin is low, by having good customer relations, you are ensuring work in the future...

Then again, it seems as though so many these days just have to be the first to have stuff...

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 07-25-2017, 05:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If Pontiac was still in business and would have come up with something similar, this forum would have been melted down from excitement. Almost all my friends are lifetime Mopar nuts. In retrospect, I often wonder why I stayed with Pontiac for 45 years. It's a GREAT time to be a Mopar fan. It shows what cool things can happen when the RIGHT PEOPLE are able to flex their muscle and give buyers what they really want. Much like Pontiac of the 60's.

Old 07-25-2017, 06:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Dodge builds excitement. Love my '15 Challenger RT!

2015 Challenger R/T Plus, hemi, Sublime
Old 07-25-2017, 10:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If I were looking for a modern muscle car, I would go with the Challenger. It just looks better than the Camaro(we own an '14 convertible) or the Mustang(not a fan of the modular V8).

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 07-25-2017, 10:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In Drag Mode, the Demon's engine commandeers the car's air conditioning system to help chill things out. The Demon will have the first production application of a liquid-to-air charge air cooler chiller system. Literally, the car's air conditioning system is used to cool the air going into the engine, dropping temps by up to 45 degrees Fahrenheit. Dodge claims the system helps achieve "temperatures previously unattainable by pressure-charged street-legal production vehicles."

Now that's just plain cool.

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
If Pontiac was still in business and would have come up with something similar, this forum would have been melted down from excitement. Almost all my friends are lifetime Mopar nuts. In retrospect, I often wonder why I stayed with Pontiac for 45 years. It's a GREAT time to be a Mopar fan. It shows what cool things can happen when the RIGHT PEOPLE are able to flex their muscle and give buyers what they really want. Much like Pontiac of the 60's.
It's a GREAT time to be a car fan! Who cares what brand it is?! It's a bad ass, street legal, factory, 10 second beast. It could be badged a Yugo and I wouldn't care!

Dodge does make a fine, modern day muscle car. My daily driver '15 Challenger R/T Road and Track Package fully loaded:

1964 Pontiac GTO, Tri-Power, 4 Speed, Grenadier Red/Black Interior
1965 Chrysler 300 Convertible, 383/727TF, Factory Air, Spanish Red/Red Interior/White Top
Old 07-26-2017, 12:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The problem with Dodge is that their products have consistently been unreliable.

The chart above is the most current dependability ratings - the 2017 results are for 2014 models purchased new by their current owners.

Last years results:

And 2015:

Old 07-26-2017, 03:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

And my 17 year old bone stock motorcycle will out run it, both in the 1/4 and top speed.

But no AC ... and it sucks in the rain.

Old 07-26-2017, 06:40 AM
Senior Chief

It is a very impressive car, and way outta my budget.

Sad because I consider weight critical. 4400lbs sound horrid on these back roads tucked in between the hills.

Maybe the next gen will shed 1000lbs or more.

I still get a chuckle how Chevy says the new camaro is smaller and lighter than the last one - yea, technically it is, by the size and weight of a squirrel.

Old 07-26-2017, 07:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBF823 View Post
I still get a chuckle how Chevy says the new camaro is smaller and lighter than the last one - yea, technically it is, by the size and weight of a squirrel.
You must have some heavy squirrels in your area.

The 2015 6.2L V8, manual trans Camaro weighed 3908 pounds (500 pounds lighter than the Dodge) and the new 6.2L, manual trans Camaro is 223 pounds lighter. That's not a 1,000 pounds lighter than the Dodge - but it is over 700 pounds lighter...

Running through the hills in a new Camaro will be much more enjoyable than the bloated beluga Challenger...

Old 07-26-2017, 08:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

/\ opinion.

I would be hard pressed to consider a camero;
Challenger - Oh yeah!!

2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 07-26-2017, 08:55 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexus31 View Post
It's a GREAT time to be a car fan! Who cares what brand it is?! It's a bad ass, street legal, factory, 10 second beast. It could be badged a Yugo and I wouldn't care!

Dodge does make a fine, modern day muscle car. My daily driver '15 Challenger R/T Road and Track Package fully loaded:

Thats a Charger, not a Challenger...

Old 07-26-2017, 09:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrookie View Post
Thats a Charger, not a Challenger...
Hahahaha! Of course it is! I had Challenger on the brain thinking about the Demon. At least I got it right in my signature!

As for Dodge's quality, I've had the past 3 generation Chargers and haven't had an issue with any of them. Maybe I'm lucky!

1964 Pontiac GTO, Tri-Power, 4 Speed, Grenadier Red/Black Interior
1965 Chrysler 300 Convertible, 383/727TF, Factory Air, Spanish Red/Red Interior/White Top
Old 07-26-2017, 10:10 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My wife leases a 16 Charger R/T, it's a great car.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:25 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
You must have some heavy squirrels in your area.

The 2015 6.2L V8, manual trans Camaro weighed 3908 pounds (500 pounds lighter than the Dodge) and the new 6.2L, manual trans Camaro is 223 pounds lighter. That's not a 1,000 pounds lighter than the Dodge - but it is over 700 pounds lighter...

Running through the hills in a new Camaro will be much more enjoyable than the bloated beluga Challenger...

As someone who extensively test drove both and ultimately purchased the challenger less then 3 months ago I have to disagree. I really wanted the Camaro but it couldn't compete in my real world experience of driving. This challenger feels better going through turns and hills at higher speeds then the Camaro did. First non gm new purchase ever! Of course now with my very recent experience with my 2015 Silverado 2500 and Chevrolet customer service I'm strongly considering selling the truck and all my remaining gm cars and the ford with the sbc in it. Yes, even my 84 MC SS which I've had for 20 years now. That's how bad GM pissed me off and screwed me over last week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS Jeff Gordon Edition
2017 Dodge Challenger SXT Black Top Edition
Old 07-26-2017, 12:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Did anyone here read the final notes on the motortrend car of the year (Camaro) article?

It essentially says, that the car is great, but not ideal for regular driving.

lemme see if I can find it...

Old 07-26-2017, 12:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

here:

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/chevr...eview-verdict/

Title:
Quote:
2016 CHEVROLET CAMARO SS LONG-TERM VERDICT
A deserving Car of the Year award winner -- just a little hard to live with daily

Closed Thread