Tri-Power Tech 57-66 Tri-Power Talk

Old 07-23-2017, 09:39 PM
Senior Chief

Default Aluminum Or Cast Iron For 1966 ?

It seems I'm not going to get the original tri power back for my 66 GTO.

So I see set ups for sale with both cast iron and aluminum intakes, they say both are original. which would a 66 have come with? or can you know?

Old 07-23-2017, 09:41 PM

Cast iron only, no factory aluminum Tri-Power intakes were produced with the exception of 1961 Super Duty intakes.

An aftermarket aluminum 1966 Tri-Power intake is being produced, but again they were never available from the factory.

Some intake identification pictures and info:http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=786314

Old 07-23-2017, 09:46 PM
Senior Chief

There were not any factory Pontiac tri-power intakes sold to the general car buying public made of aluminum

Old 07-23-2017, 10:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The repop in aluminum is the same as the OEM cast iron version just in aluminum. Some like to buy that one and then paint it so you can't tell the difference but shed a few pounds by doing so. If you can use your original block and heads then you might want to hunt down an original cast iron to get the date correct.

Old 07-23-2017, 10:20 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks guys. I might see if I an find a date correct intake, maybe I can use it for the restored tri power set ups I see for sale and they can just credit me the intake core fee.

On that, they say these are new carbs on the restored set ups, but I assume new means rebuilt? there are no " new " carbs are there ?

Old 07-23-2017, 11:31 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMX guy View Post
Thanks guys. I might see if I an find a date correct intake, maybe I can use it for the restored tri power set ups I see for sale and they can just credit me the intake core fee.

On that, they say these are new carbs on the restored set ups, but I assume new means rebuilt? there are no " new " carbs are there ?
I have bought NOS replacement carbs for Tri-Powers (Rochester Products Built Pieces in the Box) occasionally) years ago. Today every carb sold will be a rebuild of parts from different sources. You can buy very good repop cast iron carb bases, and linkage rods, linkage kits, fuel lines, from a Dealer like TIM BENKO (who is at Norwalk each year).

The exception might be a carb from Jon Hargrove in Missouri that acquired some NOS stock years ago but he typically want $$$$ for his stuff.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would run, not walk, from anyone selling an original 1966 aluminum tripower with new carbs!

There are a number of reputable people in the Pontiac hobby, some that post and advertise here, that could sell you a rebuilt or restored 1966 original cast iron tripower with rebuilt or restored carbs. Some also sell the reproduction aluminum tripowers with rebuilt or restored carbs.

To my knowledge, the only new Rochester tripower carbs are new old stock (yes Tom, I still have a few that I have kept to settle arguments). There ARE new reproduction Stromberg 97's (type EE-1), and Holley 94's (type AA-1). Both are smaller than the Rochesters with a 3-bolt base instead of 4-bolt.

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMX guy View Post
It seems I'm not going to get the original tri power back for my 66 GTO.

So I see set ups for sale with both cast iron and aluminum intakes, they say both are original. which would a 66 have come with? or can you know?
Sorry to hear about the tri-power. Hope it doesn't slow your enthusiasm in getting the car to where you desire it to be!

I'll keep my eyes open for a 66 setup!

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 08-15-2017, 11:02 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have a Aluminum Intake (one of the early repos it think) and it doesn't fit worth a damn.. I'm not sure if the newer run ones fit better but the port match isn't the only problem(and the port match is very very bad). I could not for extensive work make the bolt holes line up and went thru on the water port on the fronts. Had to use studs on front two even with extensive grinding to make fit. So my vote is the aluminum manifold is junk and I would stay away from unless they've changed the mold.

Old 08-15-2017, 09:33 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric65 View Post
I have a Aluminum Intake (one of the early repos it think) and it doesn't fit worth a damn.. I'm not sure if the newer run ones fit better but the port match isn't the only problem(and the port match is very very bad). I could not for extensive work make the bolt holes line up and went thru on the water port on the fronts. Had to use studs on front two even with extensive grinding to make fit. So my vote is the aluminum manifold is junk and I would stay away from unless they've changed the mold.
You probably have a 2nd gen or 3rd Gen intake which was made by a different company vs the original PY 1966 Tri-Power Aluminum Intake which had excellent castings. I flowed a couple of them for Chris C many years ago. They were nice pieces.
1st Gen Aluminum Tri-Power Pictures (attached).

Tom V.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tri-power intake2.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	461251   Click image for larger version

Name:	tri-power intake1.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	461252  

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.

Last edited by Tom Vaught; 08-15-2017 at 09:45 PM.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I bought the 66 alum repop from Parts Place and it fit perfectly.

Old 08-16-2017, 05:33 PM
Boost Engineer

Glad you got a good one, some of the later ones had bad core shift issues.

Tom V.