THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 07-17-2017, 12:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Met a real Hero

Got invited to spend the weekend at a friends parents mountain place, in the 15 years we've know her we'd never met her parents.
When we arrived and met Paul and Sara I was at first struck at how youthful they looked and acted. Paul is 93, Sara is 90. He and Sara have been married for 67 years. 10 years longer than I've even been alive.

Second was how well they get around. Paul still drives and gets around better than most people 20 years younger. They live by themselves with no assistance, 5 miles from a decent paved rd and 15 miles from the nearest town.
Anyway, looking around I notice some Naval and Air force stuff, I ask him which branch he served in. "Both" he said. Navy in WW2 and Air Force in Korea.

After making pleasantries my wife and I go to the spare bedroom and unpack, on the walls are some old faded pictures of a young Paul standing in front of an F80 fighter jet. Also some information about his fighter tactical group. On the other wall was a picture frame, in it was the Distinguished Flying Cross.

I wasn't there to pick him for old war stories, we just basically had a very good weekends worth of banter about all other things in life, went sightseeing around town, took him and Sara out for lunch and to a local micro brewery for a beer, but sitting on the porch in the evening he'd occasionally speak about some missions he flew in Korea. Some good stories for sure.
It wasn't until I got home and thought about it, that what an honor it was to meet someone who's still around and done that much for his country, and is probably the most humble and thoughtful person I think I'd ever met.

We're so blessed in America to have men like him.

Old 07-17-2017, 01:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

God bless him & his wife.............

Old 07-17-2017, 04:44 PM
Senior Chief

Great story!

Old 07-17-2017, 05:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Korea: The real forgotten war and warriors.

Sgt J.O. Butcher USMC
Viet Nam Class of '69

65 Catalina sedan. Allen Thomas Performance 495. KRE Heads at 310cfm ported by SD Performance, ProSystems Dominator carb on ported Victor intake, P-Dude custom grind hydraulic roller, MSD ignition, 3.50 Moser/Ford rear. F-Glass front bumper by son Rob, rear by the old man and joint effort for trunk lid. 3950# w/driver. Best of 9.5761/139 on 175 shot, 6.01 /114 in 1/8.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Coming back from the Brewery I saw a small sign on a corner for a cruise in, I asked Paul and Sara if they were up for one more stop. They were game but Sara waited in the SUV while Paul and I checked out the cars. Walking around I asked him what his first car was, he said a 1937 Packard, paid $85 for it.
Don't care how old you are you never forget your first car.
In typical Fighter pilot fashion he sure was drawn to the 3rd Gen Corvettes though. I told Sara when we got back to the car, she said she noticed that.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66bonne View Post
Korea: The real forgotten war and warriors.

Sgt J.O. Butcher USMC
Viet Nam Class of '69
Absolutely, Jim! We're losing Korean War vets nearly as rapidly as WW2 vets.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 07-18-2017, 09:45 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Great story! Not too many like him left to thank for their service!