Old 05-21-2017, 07:15 PM

Default Advice Request for Front End Suspension Rebuild - 71 T/A

Good evening,

I'm planning to have the front end suspension on my 1971 Trans Am rebuilt by a mechanic friend of mine, and to save a bit on the cost, I would like to source the parts myself. However, my knowledge in this area (and in mechanics in general) is very limited, so I'm seeking advice on this forum as to where I can find quality after-market parts to use in rebuilding my car's front end suspension in as close to original stock configuration (ride height, performance, etc.) as possible. Could I please get some guidance on where I should go to get the best parts available, perhaps in the form of a parts kit, if possible? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much for your time!

CEB

Old 05-21-2017, 08:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I bought all my front end parts from PTFB pro touring F body. His prices are reasonable and good quality. I ended up adding stuff like upper and lower tube control arms, comp suspension, rear discs etc. If you want stock ride height and changing the springs and shocks the GT or GT pro kit is what you want to go with. The comp kit is stiffer and sits a little higher in the back and is more geared for racing..
http://www.pro-touringf-body.com/cha...omponents.html

Last edited by niceta; 05-21-2017 at 09:14 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 12:40 AM

Helpful info, niceta. Thanks for your time!

Old 05-22-2017, 01:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Many people get Energy suspension bushings. Key to any of this is to make sure it all moves, so it works, has a Load on it , BEFORE you snug it up. Good luck!

Old 05-22-2017, 08:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you're looking for something close to stock performance, make sure you get proper rubber bushings, and not polyurethane.

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue