Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-15-2017, 11:12 PM
Senior Chief

Default Megasquirt

Anyone here have any experience with megasquirt and a 670 cfm holley TBI? I've got an old analog holley projection unit that I'm using on a mildly modifI'd 75 TA 4 spd. It's adequate, but I'm curious if I can get better results in terms of performance and efficiency with a more modern setup like MS1 or MSN as the brains? It seems like a relatively cheap upgrade at 170 bucks for MS1 kit plus the cost of the various sensors.

Old 05-16-2017, 08:43 AM

I have used megasquirt in a batch fire port FI and it can be made to work well but be prepared for some work. Also you will have to educate yourself on fi systems which is not a bad thing but the kits are not a bolt on thing. Also if i did it again i would get the fast dual synv distributor as the firing signal fron the hei can be touchy. Or just get an fitech like i did and be done with it.

Old 05-16-2017, 09:48 AM
Senior Chief

Fitech is awesome and probably the way to go if you're starting from scratch. However, I've already got the Holley TBI, relatively new fuel pump, TPS, and coolant sensor. I just don't think the analog fuel controller is very efficient or accurate without a feedback loop. The megasquirt seems to be much more customizable and has control for ignition.
Multi port FI seems great, but the cost is real high for Pontiac engines. I'd consider going back to the q-jet, but good quality q-jets that are set up for good efficiency get pretty expensive.

Old 05-16-2017, 03:06 PM
Senior Chief

Default fuel injection

I used the Megasquirt on my 330 Desoto Hemi with a Chevy 350 throttle body and found it to be really good. I did the fuel and ignition control. It does take a little learning to tune it in. I am now working on setting up a port injection setup for it. This gives much better port to port consistency than the throttle body setups. I would go with the MSII at least and it can be upgraded to the MSIII pretty easily. I have made the jump to the MSIII upgrade. There is more forum help than you can imagine on the web.

Old 05-16-2017, 03:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My very first megasquirt conversion was a GM 2-bbl TBI on a Ford FE engine with a MS1. The throttle linkage and kick down rod geometry was all goofed so I eventually removed it, but it never started up better than when it had that TBI on it. For what it's worth, I'd get at least an MS2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvIBAqTb_-M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWADq9xc2VE

The Silver Buick- '77 Skylark coupe w/455, SPX, MegaSquirt 3 & TKO-600 (Drag Week 2011, 2012 & 2015!)

1969 Firebird with a turbo'd Pontiac L6 controlled by a MegaSquirt 3 and backed with a microsquirt controlled 4L60e and 4.56 gears! (Drag Week 2018!)
Old 10-26-2017, 11:59 PM
Senior Chief

I have a SPR Performance bored out and rebuilt 454 TBI, Suntuned rebuilt '81 turbo 301 distributor (computer controlled), and MS2 for my '79 T/A 400 4spd. Hopefully one day I can get it going and relay info on these subjects. Budget is my main hurdle.

Old 10-27-2017, 10:23 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via AIM to andyg

I use the microsquirt on my 5.3LS and it works great. I can only imagine the mega works as well, and better with the additional features.