Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 04-21-2017, 10:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Anyone Heard From Dave at SD Performance?

Two local racers have sent him heads to port and have tried repeatedly by emails and phone messages to reach him but no luck. I emailed him 2 weeks ago and haven't heard back.

I hope Dave is okay. Anyone heard anything?

Old 04-21-2017, 10:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

May want to try him on Facebook as those go directly to Smart Phone notifications...

'69 Firebird 400/461, 290+ E D-Ports, HR 230/236, 4l80E, 8.5 Rear, 3.55 gears
‘66 Lemans, 455, KRE D-Ports, TH350, 12 bolt 3.90 gears
'64 LeMans 400/461, #16 Heads, HR 230/236, TKO600, 9inch Rear, 3.89 gears (Traded)
'69 LeMans Vert, 350, #47 heads: Non-running project
Old 04-21-2017, 01:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was talking to him via email on the 13th.

466 Mike Voycey shortblock, 310cfm SD KRE heads, SD "OF 2.0 cam", torker 2
373 gears 3200 Continental Convertor
best et 10.679/127.5/1.533 60ft
308 gears best et 10.76/125.64/1.5471
Old 04-22-2017, 02:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

He's apparently OK, as I see him on Facebook right now. He has been having problems with his email. Like mine, some of his email reply's don't go through to who he sent them to, even though it shows they sent on his end. I've been dealing with this on my business email server, and can't figure out what the problem is as of yet.

520-409-7236
Koerner Racing Engines
You killed it, We build it!
520-294-5758

64 GTO, under re-construction, 412 CID, also under construction.
87 S-10 Pickup, 321,000 miles
99Monte Carlo, 293,000 miles
86 Bronco, 218,000 miles
Old 04-22-2017, 03:09 AM

I emailed him today about some heads and got a reply back within an hour.

Old 04-22-2017, 09:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

He's probably trying to stay in the shop and get some work done. Folks who have sent work to him should understand that if they email or call to check status on their work they just pull him off of work and put their job back even further. Dave is pretty much a one man show these days, with a heavy work load.

I'm seeing this more than ever in our business. Folks send work here, then immediately email or call to see if it showed up. Then they start checking status with emails and phone calls, and continue to do this until we start the work and get it shipped back out to them. Probably a combination of owning cell phones with Internet access and having enough spare time in their lives to be constantly updated on everything they have going on. None of this every used to bother me much, but its becoming enough of a problem that I have my secretary screen all calls coming in here, so I don't get tied up on the phone and can stay in the shop and get some work done.

I've also learned another big lesson in this deal, and this will help other business owners. Tell folks it will take much longer to get their work done than you know it will take, then get it done early rather than the other way around!.......Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 04-22-2017, 09:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivera View Post
May want to try him on Facebook as those go directly to Smart Phone notifications...
This....he has his phone while the machine is cutting metal.

Old 04-22-2017, 11:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've tried to e mail and call him a few times over the last couple of months to no avail.... i'll keep trying.

Old 04-22-2017, 11:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The difference here possibly, is that two local guys sent him heads and credit card payments and it's been a few months and they haven't heard back. But if Dave is having difficulties with his email, that would explain it.

Old 04-22-2017, 03:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R View Post
He's probably trying to stay in the shop and get some work done. Folks who have sent work to him should understand that if they email or call to check status on their work they just pull him off of work and put their job back even further. Dave is pretty much a one man show these days, with a heavy work load.

Cliff
I know that feeling

Old 04-22-2017, 04:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It took me a couple weeks to get a response but he did get around to me. He seems to respond in waves.

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 04-22-2017, 06:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

I'm seeing this more than ever in our business. Folks send work here, then immediately email or call to see if it showed up. Then they start checking status with emails and phone calls, and continue to do this until we start the work and get it shipped back out to them. Probably a combination of owning cell phones with Internet access and having enough spare time in their lives to be constantly updated on everything they have going on. None of this every used to bother me much, but its becoming enough of a problem that I have my secretary screen all calls coming in here, so I don't get tied up on the phone and can stay in the shop and get some work done.

I've also learned another big lesson in this deal, and this will help other business owners. Tell folks it will take much longer to get their work done than you know it will take, then get it done early rather than the other way around!.......Cliff
Cliff, this reminds me of a story about my old friend, Bud, There was a set of SBC heads a guy wanted ported. Bud had the only flowbench in Louisville at that time. Bud was told "no hurry", as it was months before the racing season began. The next day, the guy calls wanting to know if Bud has his heads ported. Bud's reply: "You said there was no hurry." Day 2: the same guy calls to see if Bud has his heads ported. Bud's reply" "You said there was no hurry". Day 3: the same guy calls to see if Bud has ported his heads. Bud's response: "I'll bring them right down". Bud walked in, dropped the heads(NOT ported) on the counter. When the counter guy asked if the heads are done, Bud stated..."The SOBs are as done as I'm going to do them!" and walked out. I still cannot understand WHY people tell you "no hurry" then start badgering you....

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 04-23-2017, 07:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Absolutely by at least ten fold this is the WORST year we've ever had for folks calling the shop or emailing wanting to know if a carb showed up, status, when it is going to be finished, etc. We've had folks call the same day it showed up when we haven't even logged it in or even opened the shipment!

We're back to telling folks 5-6 months turn around even though we'll probably get to it in about half that time, but I'm not sure that will cure all of it.......

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 04-23-2017, 08:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Business Owners ought be good at this by now..
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z_Nq3xuHkgE

Old 04-23-2017, 08:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think the customer just needs to be notified in a good way. #1 notify the customer that YES we have recieved your heads/ carb/whatever. #2 We will evauate the parts and notify you of how long it "should" take (I'm sure people have sent carbs and Cliff say's "WTF am I supposed to do with that")#3 IF there are any questions WE will notify YOU. If you have questions, email us and we will get back with you when we can. Do not call us. #4 Upon completion we will notify you for payment and that your part is shipped and send you a tracking number.

Now for the Customer to recieve good service. Put a highly detailed note with your parts. Put your Name, contact info, etc. The place you sent it, talks to maybe 50+ people per day, plus phone calls, plus emails. Its impossible for them to remember who was who and what your issue was. Do NOT put "repair as per my phone call" Please explain exactly what you want. Explain the issue you are having, NOT what you think is going to fix it (you are usually wrong) Be patient, your part is NOT the only one we have in front of us. If you are in a hurry, thats too bad, and poor planning on your part. Do not expect to go ahead of the line because you can yell louder than the other guy.

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.
Bill Nye.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

When I read about guys wanting their stuff done quicker, the first thing that comes to my mind is: There are other places to buy from, where the parts & quality of service are just as good as the big name guys, who have the long waiting lists. So, if you are not willing to wait for the big name guys, buy somewhere else.

From what I've heard, Cliff & Dave are both great guys who put out top quality products. If you want their products, you'll have to be willing to wait in line. Everybody knows that.

So, if you want, or need, your stuff quicker, search out a source with less waiting time. Their are quite a few sources for good quality Pontiac parts & services, nowadays. Hey, sometimes you may need your stuff quicker because the short block is in a shop somewhere, waiting for the heads, carb, or whatever, so they can finish assembly & put it on the dyno. There are lots of possible reasons for NEEDING stuff quicker, rather than just being impatient. IMO

Last edited by ponyakr; 04-23-2017 at 09:32 AM.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:42 AM
Senior Chief

I've sent him multiple messages, zero response...took my business elsewhere

Old 04-23-2017, 11:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Absolutely by at least ten fold this is the WORST year we've ever had for folks calling the shop or emailing wanting to know if a carb showed up, status, when it is going to be finished, etc.
I've experienced the same thing. What's up with that? I had one guy tell me there is no longer a rush on his engine because it will be at the chassis shop for a while. He called two weeks later to see if I made any progress.

Old 04-23-2017, 11:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedRamAirII View Post
I think the customer just needs to be notified in a good way. #1 notify the customer that YES we have recieved your heads/ carb/whatever. #2 We will evauate the parts and notify you of how long it "should" take (I'm sure people have sent carbs and Cliff say's "WTF am I supposed to do with that")#3 IF there are any questions WE will notify YOU. If you have questions, email us and we will get back with you when we can. Do not call us. #4 Upon completion we will notify you for payment and that your part is shipped and send you a tracking number.

Now for the Customer to recieve good service. Put a highly detailed note with your parts. Put your Name, contact info, etc. The place you sent it, talks to maybe 50+ people per day, plus phone calls, plus emails. Its impossible for them to remember who was who and what your issue was. Do NOT put "repair as per my phone call" Please explain exactly what you want. Explain the issue you are having, NOT what you think is going to fix it (you are usually wrong) Be patient, your part is NOT the only one we have in front of us. If you are in a hurry, thats too bad, and poor planning on your part. Do not expect to go ahead of the line because you can yell louder than the other guy.
Well said!

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 04-23-2017, 11:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL K View Post
I've experienced the same thing. What's up with that? I had one guy tell me there is no longer a rush on his engine because it will be at the chassis shop for a while. He called two weeks later to see if I made any progress.
Paul, Bud had an answer for this..."Race car people and airplane people are just alike. They all think their engine is the most important one." This was after one guy begged Bud to overhaul his O-200 after Bud had retired. This same guy called Bud four times in two days to find out if Bud had his engine disassembled. Bud told this guy that the #1 condition for him (Bud) overhauling this engine was that it would be done on Bud's schedule, not the owner's. Bud was experiencing some health problems (he was 77 at the time)that slowed him down. Upon receiving the fifth call in two days, Bud told him to come pick up his engine and take it some where else. ANYTIME I have someone perform engine work for me, I have them give me an ESTIMATED time for completion. I will NOT contact them before that mutually agreed on time has expired.

Dr. Thomas Sowell