THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-03-2017, 11:15 AM

Default Couple questions about 1st and 2nd gen Firebird axle values

I know a lot of you guys are aware of what's rare or desired, so I figured I'd ask here.

I have a 79 TATA, 403 car. I'm not restoring it to original. It has the disc brake axle still. Is this of any significant value to someone restoring a car?

I also have a 68 Sprint Firebird. Numbers matching engine is gone, so it's being modified as well. The original axle is in it. I don't know the ratio or if it's a posi. Is it of any value to someone restoring a Sprint?

I'd hate to modify these axles or sell them to some random hot rodder if they are of value to the restoration crowd. Recouping some of my project costs and using cheaper axles would be a plus too lol. I have other axles I can put in the cars.

Old 01-03-2017, 11:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

unless the early one is a nodular rear...no real big value..the late model is a 8.5 and theres more avail right now than ever...

do what ya want, you wont be hurting the hobby if you modify them..they are common..

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 01-03-2017, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxjunk View Post
unless the early one is a nodular rear...no real big value..the late model is a 8.5 and theres more avail right now than ever...

do what ya want, you wont be hurting the hobby if you modify them..they are common..
Thanks. I know the 2nd gen 8.5s are pretty common, I've got 5 lol, but I wasn't sure if a disc brake rear might have a code the restoration guys need or something.

Old 01-03-2017, 12:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I bought a 2nd gen disc brake rear end w/o brakes for $400 a few months ago. But it wasn't easy to find one locally so I would advertise for 5-600

Old 01-03-2017, 02:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

2nd gen rears are hard to find around here. I've seen them anywhere from $400-$800, and they seem to sell.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National