Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 11-12-2016, 10:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default New Crank

The Bryant crank showed up. Looks like a really nice piece. The champhers on the oil passages look perfect.

Like the REM finish too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bryant_crank.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	440671  

Old 11-13-2016, 12:59 AM
Boost Engineer

We now use a lot of Bryant cranks at work for our test engines. Good stuff and very high quality with quick turn around times.
Very nice Tom.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 11-15-2016, 07:33 PM

what is rem coating? i see it looks way smooth or sort like jet coating ? How much does it cost too if i could ask please ?

Old 11-15-2016, 10:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Always a good idea to base a serious build on good parts, look awesome!

Old 11-15-2016, 10:55 PM

Are Bryant cranks significantly more than, say a SCAT unit?

Old 11-15-2016, 11:36 PM
Boost Engineer

SCAT is a Forging for the most part of their sales. Call it a $800 crankshaft.

The Bryant crankshaft is a billet crank made from Timkin Ball Bearing Steel in Ohio and will be quite a bit more money to have one done for a Pontiac. A everyday Chebby 540 cid one might be $1800. A 6 cylinder Ricer "Special Price" deal is listed as $1400 on their website. A Pontiac crank would be higher.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 11-16-2016, 01:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren 639 View Post
what is rem coating? i see it looks way smooth or sort like jet coating ? How much does it cost too if i could ask please ?
---------------------------------------------------
The thing that drew me to Bryant was, EVERTHING they do is in house.

from Bryants website (because I don't know squat about this stuff)

REM Isotropic* Superfinish – The REM process is an isotropic surface finishing process that produces a non-linear, low Ra finish that improves wear properties and reduces friction. In the Motorsports world, numerous engine parts are REM finished and back in Mid-2009, Sonny invested in a REM machine for the plant. Like the rest of our manufacturing processes, REM is “Done in House”! Bryant Racing is the only crankshaft manufacturer to offer the true REM finish (in house) in the industry.

I do not have any paperwork in front of me, but we got a bunch of options. I think the REM treatment was around $450. Total was almost 2X the BBC 540 crank Tom mentions above.

*Isotropic or random pattern is a fancy term for vibratory finishing. There is a lot of science that goes with it however. A very dense media is used. Most of the places that do this type of finishing also have their own concoction of chemicals that are also used.

Remember your little rock polisher you had as a kid? Same concept.

Last edited by Tom McQueen; 11-16-2016 at 01:11 AM.
Old 11-16-2016, 09:35 AM

I figured it would be around 3500,if there around 2000 dollars I would get one

Old 11-16-2016, 12:28 PM

Sorry I guess I didn't read toms reply fully, wish I would not have missed the moldex crank in for sale section

Old 11-16-2016, 11:09 PM

Don did a nice set of Ram air 5 heads for me I also bought an aluminum block from all pont. But I have a what I thought was a moldex crank now I found out it may be a Ohio ? Now I'm not sure if I should spend the money on a nice piece like that one I see here..any idea or In put ?id appreciate it. The crank is supposedly a 4.50 stroke crank

Old 11-17-2016, 03:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

First, is your Ohio crankshaft a billet or a forging? The forgings are Chinese and Ohio does the finish work. I would assume the forgings are the same or similar to all the other Chinese forgings. The finish work I would have checked by a third party or measure yourself just to make sure the sizes and finishes are exactly what you want. Ohio billet crankshafts may be made in house or arrive semi-finished. Based on their lower price, it is unlikely they are of the "ball bearing clean steel" Tom Vaught often talks about. Premium quality billet crankshafts: Crower, Bryant, Moldex, Winberg. Not in a particular order. Ohio and the others are in a lower bracket under the best circumstances. Might not mean a thing for a given application. I equate it to hand tools. Certainly Snap-On, MAC, and Matco are top shelf tools. But a Craftsman wrench with a good mechanic on the other end of it can still loosen the bolt. If you already own an Ohio piece, have it checked for piece of mind and go if it checks OK.

Old 11-17-2016, 09:28 PM

Nope not billit so I do have some thinking to do. I'd rather run top shelf crank even though it's not 1000 hp.. one day if I do decide to swap it into the race car at least I'm not trying to start over buying better parts later.. thank you for Imput I'll start to look for billit unit. I have the new all Pontiac aluminum block and a brand-new set of oliver $1800 6.7 rod. I hate to skimp on the crankshaft now but I thought it was a forged moldex. when I sent it to Don he looked it up he told me that it was a Ohio unit. If I were to custom order a billet shaft and already at 6.7 Rod what stroke would you guys think would be the best to pick with the 4.350 bore.? Thank you for your valued time I've had a lot of Pontiac motors but this will be the first 6.7 rod motor I have built.

Old 11-17-2016, 09:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My personal opinion would be 4.250. That's what we are currently running with a 4.250 bore in an aluminum block. 482 CI. Your over square bore would be even better. We also ran 4.500 crank in the iron blocks. Was never happy with the pin placement and the large amount of piston skirt leaving the block. Just not the optimum set-up for long life and piston stability. Always had issues with collapsed piston skirts with both BME and Venolia pistons. And they both have much stronger skirts than say Ross or JE. Crower makes a fair number of Pontiac cranks now, you might want to give them a call and ask for Peter Harris. They have treated us well for 20 years. We have also used Moldex billet and they are tough too. I doubt however, if you ordered it tomorrow, you would have it for next racing season. Whatever time line they give you, double it or you may pull your hair out. Crower this time of year, probably 10-12 weeks. Don't have any contacts with Bryant and Winberg didn't seem particularly interested in taking my money when I spoke to them at PRI years ago.

Old 11-19-2016, 09:21 PM

Wow ok thank you I'll call Crower ask for 4.25 and find a top quality piston from some body who has dons head scan or has some experiences with them thank you