Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 10-31-2016, 09:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Monte Carlo SS BOX

There is a guy selling 86 Monte Carlo SS boxes on eBay with the ragjoint and everything installed and ready to bolt in for less than 200 bucks. Has a lifetime warranty and he has been very quick to respond to my emails and seems very customer service oriented so I went ahead and bought one of his kits. There is so much info out there about what boxes work and turning radius rd and rag joints and lee adapters etc. it was nice to buy a kit that has all that already done. Has the fittings installed and the rag joint on the box. Supposedly he says put on your pitman arm and go. I just got overwhelmed with all the info about steering stops and turning radius rd etc. and this guy swears to god it's a direct plug and play. My question is does anybody else have the Monte Carlo box on an a body? Mines going on a 64 tempest this week

Old 10-31-2016, 10:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Put one in my 71 A body years ago and sold a second one.
It's the cat's pajamas!
Go for it.

Old 11-01-2016, 07:03 AM
Senior Chief

Let us know how this works.

Old 11-01-2016, 08:33 PM

I put one in my 72 Lemans and it works great. Probably one of the best modifications I made to it.

Old 11-01-2016, 10:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Question

Ok I have asked this question in multiple threads and gotten no answer so I will try here. I know how to swap the box and hook up the rag joint etc. but how do I make sure the box is centered so my steering is centered? I don't want it to steer more in one direction than another obviously so what's the easiest way to center the box? Also I have heard of some people ending up with an upside down steering wheel after the box swap. I have a wheel puller so fixing that wouldn't be the end of the world but I'd like to avoid it all together if possible.

Old 11-01-2016, 10:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

On my '67, center the front suspension and steering wheel. remove the pitman arm noting it's location relative to the box.

With the rag joint on the box input shaft (should go on 1 way only), rotate the input shaft lock to lock to find the center and then center it. Install the pitman on loose, it'll only go on each 90 degrees so there should be no question how it goes on. Install the box onto the end of the steering shaft, the two bolts are different sized, should be an easy fit. Install the rod end of the pitman, tighten everything up and have some fun.

George

Old 11-02-2016, 10:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

So this '86 Monte SS box uses the original style PS hoses from the vehicle you're putting it into without adapters? Also works fine with the original pump and it's output pressure?
Thanks.

Old 11-02-2016, 11:09 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via ICQ to Hammertime Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytrainer View Post
So this '86 Monte SS box uses the original style PS hoses from the vehicle you're putting it into without adapters? Also works fine with the original pump and it's output pressure?
Thanks.
Adapters needed for pump fittings.

Old 11-02-2016, 01:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
There is a guy selling 86 Monte Carlo SS boxes on eBay with the ragjoint and everything installed and ready to bolt in for less than 200 bucks. Has a lifetime warranty and he has been very quick to respond to my emails and seems very customer service oriented so I went ahead and bought one of his kits. There is so much info out there about what boxes work and turning radius rd and rag joints and lee adapters etc. it was nice to buy a kit that has all that already done. Has the fittings installed and the rag joint on the box. Supposedly he says put on your pitman arm and go. I just got overwhelmed with all the info about steering stops and turning radius rd etc. and this guy swears to god it's a direct plug and play. My question is does anybody else have the Monte Carlo box on an a body? Mines going on a 64 tempest this week
Got a link? I don't see an ad on eBay like that.

Old 11-02-2016, 02:35 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
Ok I have asked this question in multiple threads and gotten no answer so I will try here. I know how to swap the box and hook up the rag joint etc. but how do I make sure the box is centered so my steering is centered? I don't want it to steer more in one direction than another obviously so what's the easiest way to center the box? Also I have heard of some people ending up with an upside down steering wheel after the box swap. I have a wheel puller so fixing that wouldn't be the end of the world but I'd like to avoid it all together if possible.
I replaced my steering box last year and the steering wheel was no longer where it was supposed to be. I took the car over to the place that did the alignment just a few months prior and they had me put the steering wheel exactly where I wanted it and they adjusted it from underneath. Not certain what they did, but it only costed me 40 bucks.

Old 11-02-2016, 07:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-1976-PO...dXx9Dp&vxp=mtr.

He has already installed the lees adapters. I will put it on this weekend and report back.

Old 11-06-2016, 04:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well I got it done and even though it didnt just 'fall' in like everyone said it would it was pretty easy. Steering wheel is upside down now but from some of the other posts I read I kind of expected that. I have a puller so I will just pull it and swap it. Car drives a lot better. The turning radius and everything is improved but its not the OMG experience I expected from everyone elses posts. I mean its less turns and its definitely tighter but I think if your factory box is in good shape then money could be spent better elsewhere first. All and all I give it a 7 out of 10 on the mod o meter

Old 11-07-2016, 08:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

How different is this box to the mid 90s Grand Cherokee? I used the GC box and thought it was a big improvement.

Old 11-07-2016, 10:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's a big improvement don't get me wrong. The wheel is tighter and more sensitive and it takes fewer wheel rotations to make the same turns but it didn't "change the whole feel of the car" like some people have said. I'm glad I did it and I think it's a good mod but there are other things I would do first before I do this one unless your steering box is just totally worn out I wouldn't put this on my must do list. If your suspension has not been rebuilt like mine has I can really see it being a waste of time and money. I don't mean to sound like a Debbie downer but I read all the posts and I just expected it to be a major thing and it wasn't for me. I guess I'm just let down

Old 11-10-2016, 12:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I wanted to revise my initial review a little bit after a longer "test" drive today. I got to drive my car about 45 miles round trip today and I have to admit steering input is much improved. The wheel feels much heavier and almost like manual steering except for parking and slow speed situations. My only complaint is that in a deep turn the wheel does not return to straight ahead nearly fast enough if at all. Does anyone know the cure for this?

Old 11-13-2016, 03:29 PM

If you want the steering wheel to return to on center faster add more caster. Adding more caster will also increase the steering effort.