Old 08-30-2016, 03:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Looking at a 70 GTO, need some help please.

My boss just told me about a 1970 GTO that a guy has about an hour drive from me. He is not advertising the car for sale...he just told my boss that he would like to sell it. The guy has owned it for 15 years. I saw 3 pics of it sitting in the corner of a garage...I am going to go look at it within a weeks time. Here is what I know so far: 1970 GTO...NOT A CLONE, factory Sierra Yellow, black vinyl top, auto on floor, black interior. The car has been repainted a brighter shade of yellow, 400 is gone, replaced with a 360 hp 428 engine, Cragar mags with decent tires. The car runs and drives great, body sounds like it is pretty nice/driver/local car show quality. The interior is driver quality, can be left as is, not bad. Not sure if it has safety track rear or not. The car sounds like it can be totally left as is and enjoyed with no issues. In a ballpark figure, what do you guys think its worth. I know what he wants for it, but just want to hear what you guys think.

Old 08-30-2016, 03:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to kylek350

I'll take a crack at it... If it were me, I'd get the PHS just to know for sure what you're working with. It sounds like it's probably a base GTO (nothing notable/collectible such as factory RA IV, Judge, etc.). The factory color is somewhat rare (2,889 produced out of 40,149), but like you said, it's not painted the "correct" shade any longer. So between that and the replaced engine, it's value is really going to be based on how nice of a driver/looker it is as opposed to its collectibility. Without knowing more, I think it would be worth $10k on the low end, and maybe break into the mid $20k range if it's done really well. If it's not a rusty bondo bucket and I had to zero in on a number, I'm thinking something around $15k. Just my wild guess based on very little information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1951 Chieftain Deluxe Eight 4-Door Sedan - Saturn Gold, Hydra-Matic - Hibernating since 1969
Old 08-30-2016, 03:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks kylek350, I'm going to call the guy and get all the details tonight.

Old 08-30-2016, 04:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

PHS first.
Take a telescoping mirror( Harbor Freight for a few bucks) and a flashlight with you when you see the car and check truck side drop offs where rear fenders attach for rust and/ or fender replacement as well as any signs of water in trunk from rear window. Same for front fenders behind wheels and under battery tray . If he will let you, pop rear seat bottom out and check there.
If car runs, drives well and you like it, probably 15 to 20K. Bonus points for rare and still in place factory options.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I just talked to the guy. He bought the car 35 years ago when he was 15 years old...he paid $5000 for it in 1981. The car has never had any rust. Its bondo free except pass quarter from a dent, not much bondo, just enough to smooth out quarter....body extremely solid, paint is driver quality, pretty decent. He bought the car with the 428 already in it, so he knows nothing about it. Its non-ac, ps, posi rear...I asked him if it has power disk brakes, and he said he was not sure. He is not a car guy...I got that right off the bat. He told me he bought the car back then to "get the chicks"....he is a Ford guy "all the way", and has no interest in the GTO. The tires on the car are also 35 years old, just like the Cragars. The car would need a carb rebuild, new tires, and possibly a alternator or regulator. He told me the lights were dim at night years ago when he drove it one time. He has not started it for 4 years, but said "I'd bet a case of beer if I poured gas down the carb I could get it runnin" Interior is nice, no rips or tears in seats. This is a Minnesota car, and has never been driven in the winter by him or previous owner. So, the car needs carb rebuild for sure, tires, alt/voltage regulator...but is drivable as is right now. The car has only 83,000 miles...when he bought it in 1981 it had 64,000. The guy is not advertising the car, does not need the money...believe me he don't...price is $12,000 firm, no less he says. Does this sound like a good buy?

Last edited by 300deluxe; 08-30-2016 at 10:19 PM.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300deluxe View Post
The guy is not advertising the car, does not need the money...believe me he don't...price is $12,000 firm, no less he says. Does this sound like a good buy?

Sounds like a good score to me! Have you seen it?

• 1951 Chieftain Deluxe Eight 4-Door Sedan - Saturn Gold, Hydra-Matic - Hibernating since 1969
Old 08-30-2016, 10:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like a good car. Don't have him start it. You'll want to drain the tank, replace fuel and rubber lines, tires, battery, inspect the cables, find good working carb. Mice get everywhere, watch for smoke after you get it running. You'll find a few things need replacing after you've been driving it.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylek350 View Post
Sounds like a good score to me! Have you seen it?

No, but we will go look at it on a weekend after Motocross season is done...sometime in October

Old 08-31-2016, 03:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I love cars like that. Kinda like a time capsule to the 80's. Maybe there's a Motley Crue cassette in the glovebox...

Based on your description, 12k is a good price. Or, take it this way: I'd pay that based on what I am imagining.

Old 08-31-2016, 08:08 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
I love cars like that. Kinda like a time capsule to the 80's. Maybe there's a Motley Crue cassette in the glovebox...

Based on your description, 12k is a good price. Or, take it this way: I'd pay that based on what I am imagining.
or Wham

Old 08-31-2016, 08:17 AM

Quote:
or Wham

If there's a Wham cassette in that car, don't buy it.

Old 08-31-2016, 11:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It sounds like a deal to me if what he says is correct. And yes do not let him get it running follow ransoms advise.

Old 08-31-2016, 11:56 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The fact that the car is rust free is definitely a plus as it makes for an easier resto one day. The $12,000 he wants for the car is OK if the engine starts and runs well. Too bad it wasn't a stick car with a more desirable color, but the car sounds nice as is.

Old 08-31-2016, 01:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

And don't forget the oil change using the proper oil.

Old 08-31-2016, 04:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
or Wham
Don't care if it was Frankie Goes To Hollywood. Cars can be converted.

But come to think of it, bands like Poison and Crue back in the mid 80's weren't exactly pulling off a big manly bad-ass image. Think "Look What The Cat Dragged In". Nuff said!

There was a 69 FB (maybe T/A?) in the 67-69 FB section that was somewhat of a time capsule survivor. Those are cool. It reminded me of being in HS in the 80's, where EVERYBODY had Cragar SS's, and getting a sweet JVC cassette deck with a killer set of 100W 6x9's was livin' the dream.

Old 08-31-2016, 09:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Don't care if it was Frankie Goes To Hollywood. Cars can be converted.

But come to think of it, bands like Poison and Crue back in the mid 80's weren't exactly pulling off a big manly bad-ass image. Think "Look What The Cat Dragged In". Nuff said!

There was a 69 FB (maybe T/A?) in the 67-69 FB section that was somewhat of a time capsule survivor. Those are cool. It reminded me of being in HS in the 80's, where EVERYBODY had Cragar SS's, and getting a sweet JVC cassette deck with a killer set of 100W 6x9's was livin' the dream.
I remember listening to Metallica "Ride the Lightning" back in 1986 in my 68 Chevelle....now thats a manly recording...by the way, I had a Kenwood, with 100 watt Kenwood 6x9's with tuners on the dash...I frickin ruled

Old 08-31-2016, 10:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Found this cassette in it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgc_LRjlbTU

Old 09-01-2016, 06:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So much of everything that was wrong with music back then! I was never a fan of the Euro-pop stuff.

I wish you the best on the GTO. It seems, tho, like October is a long time to wait for looking at it. A lot can happen with a potential seller in a month or more, especially at a 12k price point. Ultra rare six figure cars can wait many months/years for a right buyer, but a 12k car can move in hours with a suddenly motivated seller. Keep us posted!

Old 09-01-2016, 09:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
So much of everything that was wrong with music back then! I was never a fan of the Euro-pop stuff.

I wish you the best on the GTO. It seems, tho, like October is a long time to wait for looking at it. A lot can happen with a potential seller in a month or more, especially at a 12k price point. Ultra rare six figure cars can wait many months/years for a right buyer, but a 12k car can move in hours with a suddenly motivated seller. Keep us posted!
The seller isn't advertising the car, we just found out about it through talking about cars. Its mine if I want it, and I could even wait a year if I wanted to. I can't wait to see it....I will give it a very good lookin over.

Old 09-01-2016, 10:11 PM

Quote:
No, but we will go look at it on a weekend after Motocross season is done...sometime in October
I wouldn't wait I lost out on some deals like that... Good luck!

original ca car