67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Hot start issue

So, took the 68 FB with headers out for a 10 minute drive around the neighborhood. Its a hot 85 deg day, water temp stays at 180 for the trip after warm up. Runs great shut it off before entering the garage....go to restart and the token slow to barely crank heat soak starter issue. Wait two minutes still slow crank but fires and starts. Been starting great before todays hot day 10 minute trip.

After its back in the garage, reached under to touch the starter and its very hot to the touch.

I have a trunk mounted battery (Summit trunk mounted kit...not sure what size cables came with it), newer Summit mini starter and the Ford remote solenoid (installed in the trunk area). And a newer battery. Cables and wiring are all new along with the engine to subframe grounds.

Dissapointed cause I thought the starter heat soak issues would never happen with the new cabling, remote Ford relay and the mini starter.

Wondering if the starter heat shields (metal) or starter heat wraps are worth while and have they helped anybody with their starter heat soak issues?

Old 08-25-2016, 08:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Heat shield worked for me on a Corvette I owned.

http://www.byjanmarie.com/firebird/69.html
69 Camaro 327 4sp. 4.10
http://www.byjanmarie.com/camaro/69camaro.html ( SOLD)
2002 Camaro LE/SLP-(sold)
1967 Nova SS-- 327, M20, 3.73, FRT Disc
Old 08-25-2016, 09:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default heat shield

For me I have had great success with the double layer starter heat shield the AMES sells.
Run mine for an hour on the freeway and no issues.

Gerry

1968 Firebird 400, 068 cam, TH400 & 13" Continental Converter, Auburn posi with 3:08 factory gears, Cliff's Q-jet resting on a 68 factory iron intake, DUI HEI and Ram Air pans and RARE Long Branch Manifolds
Old 08-26-2016, 09:11 PM

You might find some hot starting issue help in this long branch discussion... http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=793509

Old 08-27-2016, 07:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for the help and ideas....still having the issue...so I'll keep reading and figure out what to do.

Old 08-27-2016, 07:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had a hot start problem with my TA. Everything was new and factory correct. Took me a while to figure out that the new battery wasn't quite up to the task. Bought a another one with higher CCA, never had another problem,

Old 08-28-2016, 05:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

esahlin-
I have similar setup and hot start problem in my 68 FB. Headers, mini-starter, trunk battery.
It runs 180 all day. Electrical path is as good as it can get with 2/0 starter cable, big Odyssey battery, multiple 2/0 grounds.
One trick that helps is opening throttle part way, then holding it open while cranking. This leads me to think there is some fuel related element to my hot-start problem. Maybe modern fuel makes it too rich on start up.
Gerry-
a double wall starter shield sounds good. Stock or mini starter? Headers or logs?
Hot start is such a pervasive Pontiac problem. You'd think we could figure it out buy now.

Old 08-28-2016, 10:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hey Tom-

What mini starter do you have installed? Ive had the Summit mini starter installed for about 4 years but the car has not been run nor started on a regular basis until a few weeks ago. So it shouldnt be worn out unless it deteriorates/corrodes from non-use.

Id like to get a thermocouple installed on the solenoid and get some data on how hot it gets...cant believe there are numerous people in the hot 100 degree weather states that dont have any hot start issues.

From what Ive read (on the Chevelle, Camaro, Nova sites too) it seems some people have success with the heat shields/wraps and others it doesnt help at all. I think I'm gonna try to fab up a shield for cheap and try it out.

Tom, let us know if you find a solution.

Old 08-28-2016, 10:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

IMI Starter has an aluminized heat shield and a remote solenoid.

Old 09-11-2016, 09:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I found the cause of my hot start issue....badly corroded internals in my Summit NipponDenso type mini starter. In the thread below I posted some pics of the corrosion inside and burned wires. I think the cause was the rainy and wet weather and the car sitting in a carport and not driven nor started much for a 2 year period.

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=795051

Old 09-12-2016, 01:02 AM
Suspended

I was having a similar concern & it turned out the battery was on the down side. Replaced the battery 7 now I have no more concerns.

Old 09-14-2016, 04:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

In case someone searches and finds this thread and wants to know how I resolved the issue:

As a replacement, I went with a Powermaster UltraTorque #9410 its based on a Hitachi mini design. the PwrMstr 9510 is based on the NipponDenso design which was my second choice. I evaluated all the other options/brands too but went with the PwrMstr 9410 for some reason. I would have liked to go with an original GM type but always had heat soak trouble with those types over the 30 years Ive owned the car. So I couldnt get over the old bitterness to try another one....even knowing that the new GM type would be better made.

My car is a 68 FB and I think with the steering box jammed into the side of the engine and then the addition of headers on that side I think that maybe the 68 Fbody header deal really produces alot of heat near that starter as compared to the other bigger bodies cars. Ever since I have added headers to this car 28 years ago...there has been intermittent heat soak issues.

Have the PwrMstr 9410 on the car already and starts the car great even after its warmed up....but of course the starter is brand new. Will see how it lasts....probably will build a heat shield as it sits a little closer to the headers than the NipponDenso Summit starter did.