THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 08-10-2016, 05:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Craigslist "rage" rant

I decided to get rid of my 65 Impala to focus on the Firebird so I listed it.

The price I listed was based on research (Hagerty, NADA, Classic Car price guide, and Hemmings) and the appraisal my bank did on the car when I used it as collateral for a loan back in '08.

So I get a call from a guy, he asked me about if the car was numbers matching, then proceeded to argue with me over the price and demanding I tell him my bottom dollar.

I never understood how people can have the audacity to do that

I can understand haggling or negotiating but lowballing then getting upset, come on.

68 Firebird 400, YC 400, Hbeam rods, ported 670 heads (2.11i, 1.77e valves), 1.65 RRs, Torker 2 intake, Nodular Crank, Eaton Limited Slip, Richmond 3.55 gears, M-20 M4
97 Trans Am WS6, LT1, M6, FLP LTs, Cutouts, Flowmaster catback, Jet Airfoil, K&N air filter, MSD Opti and Coil
14 Fiat 500e 83kW motor, 24kWh lithium ion battery, +2 sized summer tires
Old 08-10-2016, 06:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Broker/Dealer, happens all the time. I just say come to look at it if you are serious, if not the price is the price.

Old 08-10-2016, 06:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep. No good to waste time arguing on the phone. Come and look at it or don't. No big deal.

Old 08-11-2016, 10:00 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I think he probably spends too much time watching the "reality" shows on Velocity

68 Firebird 400, YC 400, Hbeam rods, ported 670 heads (2.11i, 1.77e valves), 1.65 RRs, Torker 2 intake, Nodular Crank, Eaton Limited Slip, Richmond 3.55 gears, M-20 M4
97 Trans Am WS6, LT1, M6, FLP LTs, Cutouts, Flowmaster catback, Jet Airfoil, K&N air filter, MSD Opti and Coil
Old 08-11-2016, 10:18 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainofiron View Post
I think he probably spends too much time watching the "reality" shows on Velocity
Yep it's the "velocity law of used car pricing"

1- repond to add.
2- ask seller what they really want
3- cut that price in half
4- meet exactly in the middle of that spread.
That's how it's done. Sellers don't have a choice in the matter. "Hey, I watch MOron Garage I know....
Steve
PS somebody cuts my "what will you really take" price in half, I'm walking away w a finger up.

236 244@ .050 108 LSA .511 lift, duration 289,297 @.oo6
Edelbrock Aluminum 87cc round port heads Larger valves ,ported polished and cut
Powerjection3,T2 manifold, Try-y’s
Flowcooler water pump.
71 formula with TKO600,hydraulic clutch 3.42 posi and 26 inch tire.
17x9 YO Honeycombs with Nitto 555's
Old 08-11-2016, 10:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Funny, reading this...I thought same thing. Art of negioation..gone. Really wanting a car..gone

Determine the sellers desperation level and steal the deal. For the game of it...

Old 08-11-2016, 10:35 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:

The price I listed was based on research (Hagerty, NADA, Classic Car price guide, and Hemmings) and the appraisal my bank did on the car when I used it as collateral for a loan back in '08.

So I get a call from a guy, he asked me about if the car was numbers matching, then proceeded to argue with me over the price and demanding I tell him my bottom dollar.

I can understand haggling or negotiating but lowballing then getting upset, come on.
When someone pulls that crap with me, I tell them that my bottom dollar is 150% of my asking price. It's your car, your investment and your choice what to ask. If someone chooses not to pay your price, they are not worth your time.

69 Judge convertible........clone! Carousel red, parchment, hideaways, TH400, 10" Continental 3200 stall, 12 bolt with 3.42, 469 c.i. with ported #48's, ported cast iron intake, Cliff's Q-Jet and ported 2-1/2" Ram Air manifolds.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My favorite seller moment a long time ago in Oregon:
Sitting there in guys kitchen counting money out to buy 72 F400 I used to have (Ratbird).

He gets a call from somebody on the Formula. Sounded from his end like someone who had called before. His patience was already gone with the caller evidently. Shortly into this call, the guy yells into the phone: "I wouldn't sell you this car if you were the last F*&%$)@ing person on the face of this earth!!!!! and slammed the phone down hanging up on the caller. We both just looked at each other and laughed a good one. Epic moment.

Old 08-11-2016, 12:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yea after a while of the guy trying to lecture me on how much it will cost him to get my car up to his standards, I told him: listen my bottom dollar is pretty much the price I listed it for.

If you want to make an offer do it, if not good luck find a car as in nice of condition as mine for the price

then he backed off and would call me tomorrow. I was thinking to block him.

Thats the good thing about using my google voice phone number on craigslist, weeds out most of the scammers and you can just block the idiots.

Old 08-11-2016, 01:16 PM

I had a guy do the low low low ball offer. I raised my price by 50% and told him it was my a****** tax. He asked me if I was serious. I went up another 50% and told him each additional a hole comment would add another 25%. I didn't sell him the car but I did get some enjoyment from an otherwise waste of time

Old 08-11-2016, 01:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Every time he starts to mouth off, raise your price by a hundred bucks.
When he asks why, tell him it's an a$$hole tax.

Old 08-11-2016, 04:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I will not negotiate with anyone from craigslist over the phone come in person and you will always get a deal.how can you offer less for something until you have seen it

1931 Pontiac 5 window coupe OHC6 powered
2015 GMC Yukon SLT
Old 08-11-2016, 06:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We use the following selling cars or parts at a swap meet or anywhere if the potential buyer shoots us an obvious stupid, low ball offer. We ask them to wait a minute, will fumble in our brain box (the place you keep all your hooks, pens, business cards for swap meets), then grab a pen and piece of paper and tell them we need their address or email address. When they ask what for, we say we need to know where to send the credit application because we assume there offer was a down payment. Most of the time they don't say a word and just walk away, head shaking.

Old 08-12-2016, 09:31 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB VIDAN View Post
We use the following selling cars or parts at a swap meet or anywhere if the potential buyer shoots us an obvious stupid, low ball offer. We ask them to wait a minute, will fumble in our brain box (the place you keep all your hooks, pens, business cards for swap meets), then grab a pen and piece of paper and tell them we need their address or email address. When they ask what for, we say we need to know where to send the credit application because we assume there offer was a down payment. Most of the time they don't say a word and just walk away, head shaking.
hahaha thats a good one

Old 08-12-2016, 03:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That's a good one, and the best way to do it Bob. Puts them in their place.... right out the door.

I wish someone would do that to Richard at the Ass Monkey Garage.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 08-12-2016, 03:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I do not have my car for sale, but I had a guy at a show keep asking what I would take for the car. I answered him $60,000.00, he came back with $30,000.00. My answer was $65,000.00, he came back with $40,000.00. My answer to that was $70,000.00. He said I did not negotiate very well.
Told him the car wasn't for sale.

Old 08-12-2016, 04:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree its stupid for the dude to get mad.

But it goes both ways. I DESPISE haggling. But the way peoples minds are set up when something like CL is involved makes it necessary. I bought and sold quite a few firearms when I was in FL. I remember specifically the first one I tried to sell, I put my "real price" say it was $700. This was the fair price for the current market. For a week I got nothing but lowballs. I took it down for a week, and then put it back up for $850. I immediately got several offers in the fair range.

The system sucks, I wish people would just tell me what their fair price is and I will either say yes or no. Doesnt have to be bottom dollar like the dude was asking for in the OP. Which I agree is insulting.

But I also realize that I am probably in the minority of people who dont like to "play the game" when it comes to this stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 08-12-2016, 09:06 PM

I have a 1961 Safari for sale and have listed the good/bad and posted pics. People want to have endless email conversations that stretch over a week. Now, I ask them to call me if they are really interested and I will answer any and all questions and take all pics. Crickets..!!!

...we now return you to regular programming.

Old 08-12-2016, 09:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

Everyone who has replied to this post has VERY valid points, however you flawed when you priced your car also. All of your research guides have very inflated values of our cars. They are mostly used to insure them or for the banks to use them for collateral on loans. If you want a real value, and if your car is 'nice, correct, driver' or better, find some of the lesser collector auction companies and compare sales results to cars similar to yours.

Now, if somea**hat pulls crap like that when you've priced your car correctly, , just hang up the phone.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 08-13-2016, 02:49 AM

I have never really understood why some people take offense to lowball offers. Just counter them. It literally takes 2 seconds over the phone and who knows, they may start at a stupid low price but eventually come to an agreeably price.