Old 06-08-2016, 02:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Question about new-for-1972 VIN coding

I’m trying to determine GM’s rationale for adding the engine code to the VIN sequence beginning in 1972. While I believe it was used to simplify the way insurance rates were determined/assessed for a given vehicle, I’m hoping to find something concrete from GM or a known-reliable source.

Might anyone have anything they can share?

Old 06-08-2016, 05:01 PM

From my google search I believe it is related to the Society of Automotive Engineers, in particular SAE J273A. Havent been able to dig up the details yet but found the link below.

http://standards.sae.org/j273_197206/

Old 06-08-2016, 05:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think that may be it too, but I've never been able to confirm it.

Old 06-09-2016, 07:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I cannot speak with authority but I get the impression (from what I see here) it was more about standardizing the VIN format and not about insurance rates (or perhaps the insurance aspect was a secondary benefit).

I will add that the program execution teams have some flexibility about how to apply the standardized VIN format. For example - when we did the 2001 GMC Denali program we elected to use the same VIN format as the regular GMC SUVs. However, for the 2002 Cadillac Escalade the team elected to use a separate and distinct VIN sequence as well as a unique engine identifier, for warranty tracking purposes.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 06-09-2016, 07:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks, Keith!

I read a vintage article that claimed that it was insurance companies lobbying for the change. It seems that unscrupulous (or savvy, however you choose to look at it!) buyers were telling their insurances agents that sleeper muscle cars had the smallest available v-8. The new VIN coding made it impossible for buyers to escape the premium surcharges, especially as these cars came into the possession of the second and third owners.

Now can you see why I was hoping to find something from GM that provides its official "reasoning!"

Old 06-09-2016, 12:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Rotella View Post
buyers were telling their insurances agents that sleeper muscle cars had the smallest available V-8...........
the rare inline six Judges were pretty cool.....

Old 06-09-2016, 04:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When I first went to GM school for ASE. cert. And Inspection cert. The instructor said it was changed to help states with strick emissions , and the car was tested to the specs of the engine listed in the vin. All GM engines were listed with emissions in 72, preceding the hammer down year of '73. My Grandfather (50 years with GM) had told me this as well. This could be just one component of the switch, but I belive based on history a more reasonable one as auto makers did not switch much without pressure. GOVT and EPA being higher on the list than the insurance industry.