Old 03-27-2016, 01:20 AM

Default '68 Glove Box Question

I tried the "Interior" forum with this question, but have had no luck finding the answer. I might have written my question in a somewhat confusing way, so I am trying this forum and will try to make the question a little more easy to understand.

So, I am installing a reproduction cardboard glove box liner in my '68 GTO. My question relates to the bottom lip of the cardboard liner, where it meets the glove box door hinge.

Does this cardboard lip install on top of the hinge, or does this cardboard lip install underneath the fixed steel dash panel?

Here are the two possible scenarios (I think), listed from top to bottom:

Cardboard liner lip
Glove box door hinge
Fixed steel dash panel

-OR-

Glove box door hinge
Fixed steel dash panel
Cardboard liner lip (tucks underneath fixed steel dash panel)

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-27-2016, 11:24 AM

I looked at my sons 68
Don't know if it's correct but....
hinge
Lip on dash
Cardboard
Like I said, not certain if correct but door fits the dash nicely and opens and closes properly

Old 03-27-2016, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by propuckstopper View Post
Glove box door hinge
Fixed steel dash panel
Cardboard liner lip (tucks underneath fixed steel dash panel)
This is how it should be. The glove box door is uneven, so the flat cardboard won't sandwich.
I'm going on memory here, but I believe the inside 2 screws (short) attach the lid to the frame, and the outside 2 screws go through the lid and frame and catch the inserts on the cardboard (or tinnerman clips if your glove box doesn't have the screw inserts made into it.)

Hopefully someone will come along and confirm this.

Old 03-27-2016, 03:50 PM

Please see attached picture. Now I realize this may look a little strange with the cardboard on top, but let me explain the method to my madness. I am certainly not saying this installation is correct, but here is why it makes the most sense to me.

If you put the hinge on top, "sandwiching" the cardboard lip between the hinge and the fixed dash panel, I found that the glove box door sat excessively high. This resulted in a glove box door that would not close, as the top of the door hit the upper portion of the fixed dash panel.

Now, my next statement will relate to mounting the cardboard lip at the very bottom, underneath the fixed dash panel. You will need to look at the picture to understand what I am about to say.

Look directly below the glove box lamp hole, on the floor of the cardboard glove box. You will notice that the way I have mounted the glove box, it bends up in two places to cover the hinge. When it bends up, it closes up what would otherwise be a good sized hole on the floor of the glove box. The interesting thing is that the glove box actually has two fold lines that run from left to right. When you mount the lip as I have, the box folds in two places and closes up the holes.

If you were to mount the glove box lip underneath the fixed dash panel, the lip of the cardboard would not need to bend in two places. It would come straight back and stay perfectly flat. This method leaves good sized holes on the left and right side of the floor of the glove box, near the hinge.

Further to my mounting method of the cardboard lip on the very top, closer inspection indicated to me that the shape of the lip matched perfectly with the shape of the hinge. The hinge also has a depression which perfectly accepts the size and shape of the cardboard lip.

Finally, I went and looked at the mounting method for my '65 glove box, and found the cardboard on top as well. I am not saying that my '65 is correct either; it is just what I found.

What I do not like about this mounting method, and what makes me wonder if it is correct, is that it seems that over time the cardboard lip will rip through the screws. However, once you get the cardboard folded on the fold lines, there is very little tension on the cardboard.

Anyone care to chime in?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	424637  

Old 03-28-2016, 01:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here are a couple of photos from the ultimategto site. Appears to be hinge up. Not saying it's right, I just remembered seeing a glovebox pic over there. Can't go by mine either as I've had it out and put it back the way it seemed right to me at the time. Can't really remember how I have it at the moment and I'm not near it now.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
Here are a couple of photos from the ultimategto site. Appears to be hinge up. Not saying it's right, I just remembered seeing a glovebox pic over there. Can't go by mine either as I've had it out and put it back the way it seemed right to me at the time. Can't really remember how I have it at the moment and I'm not near it now.

My sons 68 same as these photos
Doesn't make any sense to why they would put the cardboard on top of the hinge . With it that way every time you opened the glove box door everything in there would slide right on out to the floor.
But then again I ain't no engineer...

Last edited by mudslinger; 03-29-2016 at 12:06 AM.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Greg's pictures are correct.
I'd like to see the car.

Old 03-29-2016, 06:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The rest of the car is here- http://ultimategto.com/cgi-bin/showc...aa04/68hturq01

Just click 'Next Pic' at the top left of the page to scroll through several more pics.

Old 03-29-2016, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudslinger View Post
My sons 68 same as these photos
Doesn't make any sense to why they would put the cardboard on top of the hinge . With it that way every time you opened the glove box door everything in there would slide right on out to the floor.
But then again I ain't no engineer...
I am not sure what you mean when you say that with the cardboard on the top of the hinge, everything would slide out. Take a look at the attached picture. There is no way anything can slide out. It is completely sealed on the bottom.

Again, I am still not sure what mounting method is correct, but this mounting method certainly does not allow anything to fall out. Just for clarification, not for argument...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	424793  

Old 03-29-2016, 09:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My instinct tells me that the cardboard should not be on top. I just can't see an engineer designing it that way. Looks like it would be prone to snagging stuff and eventually fraying. I know from your other thread though that it has been called correct.

Also, Steve (400 4spd above) seems sure of the correct configuration and I know he's knowledgeable about these things.
Maybe Kurt (68GTOMN) who has an untouched original '68, will chime in.

I'll try to remember to check mine this evening.

Old 03-31-2016, 12:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I just remembered to check mine and it's just like the photo I posted above. Just to further clarify, the cardboard is not sandwiched between the hinge and the metal dash, it's actually below both.

Old 03-31-2016, 01:46 AM

Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
I just remembered to check mine and it's just like the photo I posted above. Just to further clarify, the cardboard is not sandwiched between the hinge and the metal dash, it's actually below both.
Hi Greg. Thanks for checking your car. Is your car completely original and untouched, or has it been restored at some point?

I ask only for the obvious reason: if it is untouched and unrestored, then we can be pretty sure that your glove box is correct. If it has been restored at some point, then we might be back at square one.

Please advise.

Old 03-31-2016, 06:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Definitely not untouched. I did a long term frame-on resto in my garage and driveway. Not saying mine is correct, just offering it as another example.
You know how when something has been in place for a very long time it kind of develops a memory? I couldn't remember how I put it back, for purposes of this thread, until I checked it but I know I put it back the way it 'wanted' to go.
Probably none of this helps you because I can't say for certain that it wasn't replaced incorrectly 30 years ago.
Between the pic of the car above, my car and Steve's learned opinion on this, I'm comfortable with it.