Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 01-28-2016, 08:14 PM

Default Big mistake, couple of questions

Long story short I just finished my 488 build last spring/summer and ran it just enough to take a quick trip down the road before winter. Started out a mix of antifreeze and water. Couple of leaks resolved later and wound up with almost straight water in the block. Thought about it last wknd and looked to find ice in the radiator. Under the car are 2 freeze plugs. I'm pulling the engine this wknd to begin tear down and inspection for cracks in the block. (Keeping my fingers crossed but expecting bad news). If I wind up in good shape and my bearings look good would I be ok to re-use them? Do I need block washed to have it mag'd? Any other suggestions for how to proceed?

Old 01-28-2016, 08:54 PM
Boost Engineer

Pull the engine out of the car, Inspect everything, and then you will be ready to install a different block once you find the cracks.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That stinks! Be ready, as Tom mentioned, you will likely need a new block. Have checked, good luck.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

if there is no water in the oil then maybe its just the plugs that popped . I had the same thing happen to me a few years ago and just siliconed them back in , started it up and waited to see if I had any leaks. It was fine and the motor is still running in the car to this day..

Old 01-28-2016, 11:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie66 View Post
if there is no water in the oil then maybe its just the plugs that popped . I had the same thing happen to me a few years ago and just siliconed them back in , started it up and waited to see if I had any leaks. It was fine and the motor is still running in the car to this day..

this ^^^^^^

get the rubber compressed ones and stick in the holes, fill with water, and see if it gets in the oil. if it does, pull the motor, if not, get new freeze plugs and install them. you have nothing to lose.

Old 01-29-2016, 01:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If the radiator doesn't leak under pressure odds are in favor of block/heads being OK.

Old 01-29-2016, 07:09 AM

I drained the oil first thing and there was no water. That's the only thing giving me a positive thought. I didn't think to reinstall freeze plugs and refill with water/antifreeze... Thanks for that suggestion and any good thoughts!

Old 01-29-2016, 10:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It all depends on how lucky you are. Since it was a new build and the plugs were not rusted in place, there is a chance they pushed out and didn't crack the block. If you try the above and it's OK, remember there are additional plugs you can't see in the bellhousing area. It would be good to check them and make sure they haven't moved part way out from the freeze. As a high school student, I had a 69 Camaro small block. Filled it with straight antifreeze, no water. Got down to -10 overnight. Guess what? I learned something that day. Straight antifreeze will freeze solid. Cracked both heads, the block, water pump, radiator tank, aluminum intake. That's the kind of luck I have. Hope yours is better.

Old 01-29-2016, 10:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would consider new core plugs & refill - then pressurize the system to see if it holds. JMO

Old 01-29-2016, 11:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Pressurize the system with a simple pressure pump you can either purchase or rent from any parts store that mounts right on the radiator fill neck. If the system holds pressure, then obviously you dodged a big ole bullet. If you hear hissing or see water coming out, you didn't. This would be the first and easiest thing to do before tearing into the motor and could relax your mind (or crush it) real quick.

Old 01-29-2016, 11:16 AM

Thanks for the helpful responses! I'll try the pressurization before the year down!

Old 01-29-2016, 11:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-o View Post
Thanks for the helpful responses! I'll try the pressurization before the year down!
You'll get your answers real quick going that route first! Good luck!!

Old 01-29-2016, 12:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I used my old freeze plugs that popped with RTV and started it.. That was 6 years ago.. I think you're good... If you start it and it leaks at idle you're not going to ruin anything..

Old 01-29-2016, 02:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm glad some of you guys aren't doctors. You'd be cutting a man's chest open if he came in with the sniffles.

Old 01-29-2016, 04:26 PM
Boost Engineer

If they were doctors, they would run 6,000 tests on you and they still would not know the answer. An Engine is easy, you take it apart, look at the assumed failed part, and then put it back together the next weekend. If it is a cracked block you look for a different block the next weekend.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 01-29-2016, 04:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL BOWMAN1 View Post
I'm glad some of you guys aren't doctors. You'd be cutting a man's chest open if he came in with the sniffles.
LOL! Good analogy...

Old 01-29-2016, 06:07 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL BOWMAN1 View Post
You are right Bill. I've seen ice in the radiator more than once with no block damage. Some pressure testing would be my first step.

Old 01-29-2016, 06:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
It all depends on how lucky you are. Since it was a new build and the plugs were not rusted in place, there is a chance they pushed out and didn't crack the block. If you try the above and it's OK, remember there are additional plugs you can't see in the bellhousing area. It would be good to check them and make sure they haven't moved part way out from the freeze. As a high school student, I had a 69 Camaro small block. Filled it with straight antifreeze, no water. Got down to -10 overnight. Guess what? I learned something that day. Straight antifreeze will freeze solid. Cracked both heads, the block, water pump, radiator tank, aluminum intake. That's the kind of luck I have. Hope yours is better.
Really? Straight antifreeze freezes? I had no idea and have never heard of that before...... Hmmm

Old 01-29-2016, 06:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I guess it all depends on intent for use it and how you want to approach it. My understanding is "freeze plugs" are not intended to prevent coolant expansion in the event it freezes. I believe the holes are there to remove the casting sand. If there was enough expansion pressue to push the plugs out I would be concerned where else there may have been pressure that was not alleviated by the plugs popping out. There are a mumber of ways to approach it, to each his own.

Old 01-29-2016, 07:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As far as coolant goes, straight antifreeze hard jelly-like substance at +5F Rock hard frozen at -10 F. Max freeze protection at 70% coolant 30% water -58F. Typical pre-mix 50-50 -34F. A hard lesson to learn for a 17 year old! Screamed and yelled it was defective Peak Antifreeze, then I got the bad news.