Old 12-11-2015, 09:41 PM

Default 1968 GTO A/C Vents

Hi everyone. I have a quick question regarding the a/c vents in a 1968 GTO. I am specifically talking about the three vents that are somewhat similar in appearance (wide and round). One is located at the very center of the dash pad. This vent came in a plastic chrome finish from the factory.

The other two vents are shaped similar to the above-mentioned dash pad vent and are located in the lower dash area, or more specifically, the "lap cooler".

My question is: As mentioned above, I know that the top center vent came finished in plastic chrome. Were the other two vents plastic chrome as well?

I am looking to rechrome my center vent, and want to know if I should send the other two vents as well. As they are now, they look like someone might have painted them gray. But of course, this could be the original finish.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l500.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	6.1 KB
ID:	415523  

Old 12-11-2015, 10:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by propuckstopper View Post
Hi everyone. I have a quick question regarding the a/c vents in a 1968 GTO. I am specifically talking about the three vents that are somewhat similar in appearance (wide and round). One is located at the very center of the dash pad. This vent came in a plastic chrome finish from the factory.

The other two vents are shaped similar to the above-mentioned dash pad vent and are located in the lower dash area, or more specifically, the "lap cooler".

My question is: As mentioned above, I know that the top center vent came finished in plastic chrome. Were the other two vents plastic chrome as well?

I am looking to rechrome my center vent, and want to know if I should send the other two vents as well. As they are now, they look like someone might have painted them gray. But of course, this could be the original finish.

Thanks!
I have an NOS lower A/C cooling duct assembly (not sure what it's really called) with those two vents. IIRC they are chrome. I can check tomorrow as it's stored where I can't get to it right now. From memory the ones that are in the 68 Lemans convertible (it's up in the air on the 4 post lift at the moment) look like they were chrome but have aged to a yellowish look plastic.

Old 12-11-2015, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytrainer View Post
I have an NOS lower A/C cooling duct assembly (not sure what it's really called) with those two vents. IIRC they are chrome. I can check tomorrow as it's stored where I can't get to it right now. From memory the ones that are in the 68 Lemans convertible (it's up in the air on the 4 post lift at the moment) look like they were chrome but have aged to a yellowish look plastic.
Thanks for the reply. If you could check that NOS unit for me at your leisure, that would be great!

Old 12-11-2015, 11:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I believe all three were chrome finish.

Old 12-12-2015, 04:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wink

All 3 are chrome finish.

Old 12-12-2015, 10:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuz68 View Post
All 3 are chrome finish.
X2 and you can get all of them from our host. p/n A274TC Lap cooler (Qty 2) and A274TD CenterVent Deflector

Ponchjoe

Old 12-12-2015, 01:20 PM

Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponchjoe View Post
X2 and you can get all of them from our host. p/n A274TC Lap cooler (Qty 2) and A274TD CenterVent Deflector

Ponchjoe
Thanks folks! I will get my three originals re-chromed. I use Vacuum Orna-Metal in Romulus, Michigan. They seem like real good folks.

Old 12-12-2015, 01:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Post some before and after pics if possible.Its nice know a good place plus i live fairly close to them.

Old 12-12-2015, 03:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I wonder if the vapor deposit aluminum they use holds up as well as the original chrome. I've seen that original chrome so thick on plastic that it will cut your finger when it starts to flake off.

Old 12-12-2015, 04:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by propuckstopper View Post
Thanks for the reply. If you could check that NOS unit for me at your leisure, that would be great!
Well I see you have gotten your answers that all three are chromed plastic. Now I have questions regarding the NOS duct I have lol. Part number indicates it is a 1969 part. I will have to post new question to find out if this works for different years.
Here are the pictures anyway. I didn't know the chrome deflector comes out as a unit with two screws after you drop down the duct.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2295.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	415551   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2296.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	415552   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2298.jpg
Views:	28