Old 11-12-2015, 12:04 PM

Default New Project

After much delay, I decided to share the current project in our household...

Please read the article in the link:

http://barnfinds.com/barn-full-of-go...4-pontiac-gto/

In early spring of this year my wife and I decided we needed a new project. After viewing hundreds of pictures sent by the owner and several sleepless nights we decided someone had to save this GTO. Sitting in the same barn since the late 70's...with a great story, it seamed fitting this was the car for us.

I look forward to sharing our restoration with you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PHS (No VIN).jpg
Views:	234
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	413012  

Last edited by SONIC 4 U; 11-12-2015 at 12:15 PM.
Old 11-12-2015, 12:17 PM

A few before pictures...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC05859 - Copy.JPG
Views:	222
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	413013   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05864.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	413014   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05881 - Copy.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	413015  

Old 11-12-2015, 12:23 PM

We were able to use all original sheet metal excluding the lower rear quarters. This car spent much of its life on the drag strip and had fallen off of the jack more than once...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC05922 - Copy.JPG
Views:	243
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	413016   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150629_152048795 - Copy.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	413020  

Old 11-12-2015, 12:29 PM

Default In Color

Painted original Nocturne Blue, Thanks to the help and knowledge of Bill Ryder we were able to ensure it was correct.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GTO 1.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	413023   Click image for larger version

Name:	GTO 2.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	413024  

Old 11-12-2015, 01:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pretty neat build.

Code 3P Axle was the 3.90, required Metallic Brake Linings (check), HD Rad (check), and Safe-T-Track (check).

The M20 4 spd coupled with that axle required the 6 tooth speedo drive gear.

It was identified as the Code 9.

While this trans was a "regular" wide ratio Muncie, the specific speedo drive gear used with the 3.90 axle necessitated a unique p/n for the trans (9774826) whereas the Code W used for all other GTO axle ratios was p/n 9774825.

Fremont was SUPPOSED to stamp the Block with a 9 for that combination so that the Engine Code would read 76X9 in this case, the Engine Assembly shipped from the Pontiac Engine Plant arrived already stamped 76X for a GTO Tripower Engine for Manual Trans application, the Final Plants were to stamp the secondary trans codes when needed depending on the Trans selection (no additional code for the floor shifted base GTO 3 spd trans, W for the M20 4 spd except 3.90 axle, 9 for the M20 4 spd with 3.90 axle, 8 for the M21 4 spd (p/n 9777000 and required the 3.90 axle & Tripower). The M21 did not become available in '64 until around April but you could still get the 3.90 axle in any 4 bbl or Tripower GTO even after the M21 became available.

But the Shipping Manifest you have indicates Fremont stamped the Block with a "W".

That was either a mistake on the Manifest or a mistake in stamping of the Block. Since the Block is gone, no way to know for sure.

But it SHOULD have been stamped with the "9".

Although the Pontiac Plant ONLY coded Sales Code 592 in '64 for unusual special equipment requests resulting in a "MEMO" and did NOT code the 3.90 axle builds for Sales Code 592, this is the 2nd time I've seen a Fremont built showing Sales Code 592.

The other time was also for a Special Order Axle and included Metallic Brakes, so perhaps Fremont did code the 592 for such builds even when the Special Equipment was an available option and not any kind of "MEMO" item.

Although the article said it was "black over blue", the Color Code WW A indicates Nocturne Blue with Black Wheels. No wheel disc option, so came out of Fremont with the base "dog dish" hub caps.

Curious that the Ship To was a warehouse in Santa Fe Springs. Wonder if Tate Motors sent all of their deliveries to that location? Perhaps it was a central delivery point for area dealers to save on shipping cost. Tate had a neat dealership building.

http://www.insidesocal.com/davidalle...d-tate-motors/

Cool '64 GTO. Look forward to seeing it return to glory!

Old 11-12-2015, 01:09 PM

Great looking car. Great story.Great job. Keep us updated.

Old 11-12-2015, 05:51 PM

And, definitely keep the pics coming.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wink Yeah...

block for this car will bear the "W" coding...as per manifest. Many quirks on Fremont cars are not in keeping with the general consensus. Fortunately found a standard bore block and set of heads that fall well within the parameters of the accepted build dates. Spoiler alert....interior will be white. Can anyone shed any light on the "K08" cooling fan option? After years of doing '69's...we are coming to realize how much we DON'T know about these cars! I believe '64's to be the most challenging cars to correctly restore and involve the most variations. Even documented a Fremont car with different bolts on one side of the car than the other side utilized. Take THAT, aficionados!!!

"Gas is STILL your cheapest thrill!"

Your opinion of me is none of my business.
Old 11-13-2015, 04:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ron, I gather you are talking about the same GTO here?

If you are suggesting that the 76XW was a quirk that was common for Fremont builds, I have to disagree.

My own '64 is a Fremont build. I'm not sure what quirks you refer to, but Fremont normally stamped the secondary trans code correctly.

As I stated, since the original block is gone, there is no way to be sure if they correctly stamped the Block with the "9" or incorrectly stamped the Block with the "W".

It is just as likely that they incorrectly showed 76XW on the Manifest but stamped the Block with the correct "9" as to have incorrectly stamped the Block with the "W".

Either way, they would have normally stamped a "9" on this original Block, so they either got it right on the Block and wrong on the Manifest or wrong on the Block and wrong on the Manifest.

Point is, they made a mistake, this is not a quirk of a Fremont build. They didn't normally get that wrong.

But if you have a 76XW stamped block for the car, don't see any harm in that.

K08 was the Sales Code 644 Heavy Duty Cooling Fan. It was mandatory when the 3.90 axle ratio was ordered.

It would have shown up on the Window Sticker at a list price of $3.12.

It was the same fan as used for A/C applications, 19.5" diameter, with a fan clutch.

The early year version was steel.

Around April (so around the time SONIC 4 U's GTO was assembled) PMD switched to an aluminum fan due to water pump failure issues attributed to the heavier steel fan. A new p/n was issued for the fan at that time.

Since the change was being released around the time this car was built, no way to really know which fan it got (steel or aluminum). But for sure it was the 19.5" dia.

It also got the 2-5/8" thick Heavy Duty Radiator (UPC V01, Sales Code 432), also required with the 3.90 axle.

What is a bit interesting about this is that prior to about March '64, the Tripower GTOs ALWAYS got the HD 2-5/8" thick Radiator.

It isn't clear why PMD stopped using the HD Rad for the Tripower, perhaps it was associated with the change to the standard release axle ratio. Early in January, PMD announced that the Tripower would get the 3.23 axle as standard, it had been 3.55 prior to that. But they continued to get the HD Rad as standard for several more weeks before that was changed, and to my knowledge the change was made quietly, no announcement was published that I am aware of, while the Axle Ratio change was announced by SCN and News Flash.

After the change, if you wanted the HD Rad in a 3.23 axle GTO, it had to be ordered, the list price was $12.91.

Old 11-14-2015, 11:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wink Yep...

same car...belongs to my son. Just saying...if a judge wants to argue the block code...he'll be arguing with the manifest. You are correct...original block is history. If I've learned anything in the three decades I've been dabbling in these cars...it's "never say never". Aside from that...I'm always listening and trying to learn about these cars. Thanks for your input. Seems you've done your homework.

Old 11-14-2015, 10:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Fantastic job so far Kevin! Keep Ron as far away from it as you can and it's going to turn out super. Just hope I'll be able to see it in person when it's done.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 11-16-2015, 12:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wink Yeah...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry H. View Post
Fantastic job so far Kevin! Keep Ron as far away from it as you can and it's going to turn out super. Just hope I'll be able to see it in person when it's done.
no problem keeping the old man away...I'm tired and retired...don't even like working on my own. Besides...he out-shined me long ago. Has his own son to help him and he is already showing promise! But thanks for the vote of confidence...."buddy"!

Old 11-18-2015, 09:42 AM

A few updated pictures
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	413603   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	413604   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	413605   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	413606  

Old 11-18-2015, 10:37 AM

painted interior
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	413618  

Old 11-18-2015, 12:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looking good.

Old 11-19-2015, 09:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

looks great, love the white interior.

do all 64's have a dash pad?

I have a 64 Lemans, and it doesn't have one??? should I start looking for one? and will a 65 dash pad fit?

Keep up the good work, and keep the pics coming, I really enjoy watching the builds.

Thanks for sharing

Old 11-19-2015, 12:23 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
looks great, love the white interior.

do all 64's have a dash pad?

I have a 64 Lemans, and it doesn't have one??? should I start looking for one? and will a 65 dash pad fit?

Keep up the good work, and keep the pics coming, I really enjoy watching the builds.

Thanks for sharing
The 64 and 65 did share the same dash pad. It was an option. If your car has the holes in the dash then It likely came with a dash pad. If you need one try to find an original and have it recovered, the repo's fit poorly.

Sonic that car looks great glad you saved another one.

Old 11-19-2015, 04:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The dash pads were physically the same, BUT used a different textured (or grain) cover. Very distinctive if you know what to look for!!! "Bill!
Look at this old thread....

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...ghlight=madrid

Old 11-19-2015, 04:51 PM
Suspended

Bill, Was the same material used to cover the seats also the same material used to cover the padded dash option?

Old 11-19-2015, 05:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Great info. Thanks guys.

So I guess the white interior cars had a flat black painted metal dash.

hmmmmmm I think a padded dash pad would look better.

thanks again