THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 11-05-2015, 06:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default check your valve stems!

Guys,I have never thought about how long I have had my wheels and tires on my 421 SD lemans.Last sunday I was getting on the freeway to go to a local show and shine.Just got up to about 65 plus MPH and my car make a hard right.Thank God I was on the far RT lane and had a big run off area and REALLY good brakes.I kept it off the wall and called AAA for a flat bed ride home.I found that a valve stem had rotted away.I know they have been in the wheels on the car for right at 14 years.Tires were OK but the rubber stem let loose.Im going to make sure all my wheels have the metal stems so even if the rubber gasket rots away it wont be a catastrophic lose of air.Stay safe!Tom

Old 11-05-2015, 06:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Your 14 year old tires are OK? Really?

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 11-05-2015, 06:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's not like the stems are "out of sight, out of mind".
But we do seem to ignore them.
Good reminder, thanks.

3 Generations of "Beach Boys Racing" !

Everybody knows somthin.
Nobody knows everything !

1st time on a dragstrip, 1964. Flagstart !

"Thanks for the entertainment."

"Real Indians Don't Wear Bowties"
Old 11-05-2015, 07:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRR View Post
Your 14 year old tires are OK? Really?
My thoughts exactly. I won't run a tire 7 years, much less 14. I learned that lesson a long time ago when the steel belts let go on a set of red line radials - the tires looked perfect (no sidewall cracks and 80% tread).

The golf ball sized knot in the center of the tread with steel strands sticking out of it was problematic. I was lucky enough to get my GTO stopped BEFORE the tire blew.

Old 11-05-2015, 07:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I looked at the tires on my lift just the week before!They looked a little worn on the insides so I ordered a pair of tires to be put on monday!Lost the stem on sunday.There was nothing wrong with the tires when they were removed from the rims.They were M/T front runners.The Firestones on the rear are about the same age.Car is going in for a front end alignment next week and all rubber valve stems replace.Going to take a real close look at the rears and will be replaced as necessary.Tom

Old 11-05-2015, 07:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Fortunately, my tires have no hope of lasting 14 years.

Old 11-05-2015, 08:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

People that drive it get on it a LOT more than I ever do these days!Tom

Old 11-05-2015, 08:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am a new believer in the 5 year rule on tires. The tires were 6 years old. looked good. Tire pressure was good, Had a 18' flat car trailer w/ 3 ATV's hooked to the back. Tires were E rated . Truck is a 2500 Chevy. The tire let go going down the interstate. scared the crap out of me because I thought I got hit by a car. Ended up with a new bed side.

Tom, Glad to hear there was no damage to the car.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1256.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	412389  

Old 11-05-2015, 08:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You were very very lucky Tom. Good thing you weren't on a tree lined skinny 2 lane road.

New tires new valve stems. I've always done it that way. And when I polish up my Cragars I check the stems. I have to to get the chrome cleaner out from around them.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris65LeMans View Post
Fortunately, my tires have no hope of lasting 14 years.
Same here. New set every other year. My rears tend to wear faster than the fronts, so I rotate them in fall when I put the car away for winter. By the end of the next year, the tread is gone again. I must have a rear-end alignment problem.

Tom, I have to admit, this is the first time I've heard of a valve stem giving it up. Glad you were able to come out of it without incident.

69 Judge convertible........clone! Carousel red, parchment, hideaways, TH400, 10" Continental 3200 stall, 12 bolt with 3.42, 469 c.i. with ported #48's, ported cast iron intake, Cliff's Q-Jet and ported 2-1/2" Ram Air manifolds.
Old 11-06-2015, 12:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs69 View Post
Same here. New set every other year. My rears tend to wear faster than the fronts, so I rotate them in fall when I put the car away for winter. By the end of the next year, the tread is gone again. I must have a rear-end alignment problem.

Tom, I have to admit, this is the first time I've heard of a valve stem giving it up. Glad you were able to come out of it without incident.
We used to have them fail on aircraft tires(both tube and tubeless) all the time. If we had doubts, we replaced the valve stem or the tube.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 11-06-2015, 02:39 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Thanks Tom- I never even thought about metal stems being a "safety" item.
Glad you came out of it okay.

Old 11-06-2015, 08:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC View Post
I am a new believer in the 5 year rule on tires. The tires were 6 years old. looked good. Tire pressure was good, Had a 18' flat car trailer w/ 3 ATV's hooked to the back. Tires were E rated . Truck is a 2500 Chevy. The tire let go going down the interstate. scared the crap out of me because I thought I got hit by a car. Ended up with a new bed side.

Tom, Glad to hear there was no damage to the car.
I was lucky enough to avoid that when the steel belts on my GTO let go. I got the car stopped before it blew.

The cost of replacing tires on a regular basis is a lot less then the blood, sweat and tears that went into restoring my car. If I can't afford the tires, I probably shouldn't have the car.

Old 11-06-2015, 08:17 AM

Default salt belt valve stems

check your daily driver if you live where they use salt or brine to clear roads. my 2011 buick kept losing pressure. the valve stems corroded on the rims. I had no problems luckily. bob.

Old 11-06-2015, 08:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Glad no one got hurt and car ok. Funny I have been thinking of redoing brakes on SD.Pulled out of garage took across road to dead end road and let warm up. Checking for any leaks,got in car brake pedal went to FLOOR.Put in garage,rear of master cylinder very low.Glad that did not happen on road at speed!

Old 11-06-2015, 09:32 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbob View Post
Glad no one got hurt and car ok. Funny I have been thinking of redoing brakes on SD.Pulled out of garage took across road to dead end road and let warm up. Checking for any leaks,got in car brake pedal went to FLOOR.Put in garage,rear of master cylinder very low.Glad that did not happen on road at speed!
Suggestion: Check your wheel cylinders (rear) for leaking inside of rear drums is where my "lost" fluid was going. On mine, nothing of brake fluid on outside of drums or rear end on garage floor detected...had to pull wheels and drums to find "lost" fluid from blown wheel cylinder FWIW. Sure you already know this, but hope it helps.

Tom: Thx for the reminder heads up on the valve stems/tires. Glad you are OK and maybe helped remind others here to check and kept them safe and out if harms way.

Old 11-06-2015, 10:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

On tires: I took 72 to my tire shop here who sells BF's. I have 90% tread left nice looking TA's 225/70/R14. Look a year old. They date coded for me and they are 10 years old! He said they go by 7 year rule, but personally he said if always garaged and no flat spots, ones like mine are OK, but really time to replace regardless. So spring is $$ time for me.

Old 11-06-2015, 12:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

New brake parts ,everything.new tires and stems. Thanks guys for info.I thought I was only one with defects.

Old 11-06-2015, 12:13 PM
Suspended

Lightbulb

Saw this broadcast about date codes and lack of any regulations for dealers selling "old date code new tires" sometimes 6yrs old or older in warehouses

Reminded me to check date codes on next set of tires as installed @ fave tire shop...especially on "classic" tires such as Radial T/A's, PolySteel Radials, etc. etc.

Local shops sell years old tires as new - ABC2News.com
http://www.abc2news.com/.../local-sh...d-tires-as-new
Local shops sell years old tires ... and six year old tires sitting on store ... "I think consumers should feel confident that well established tire dealers, ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	412433  

Old 11-06-2015, 12:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
The cost of replacing tires on a regular basis is a lot less then the blood, sweat and tears that went into restoring my car. If I can't afford the tires, I probably shouldn't have the car.
That is a true statement we should all take to heart. If Tom had damaged the car the $2 valve stem was insignificant.

I'd say a fresh set of tires every few years is like an additional insurance policy. We sure don't want to re-restore a car if we don't have too!

Glad you came out unscathed Tom!

Email jbr69gto@gmail.com

My Website www.minnesota-muscle.com