67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 08-14-2015, 10:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 1969 Firebird 400HO WIW question

In the mid-80s, I ran into a very interesting 69 Firebird 400HO car near my first house. I was unable to buy it, but I kept in touch with the owner since he lives not far from my parents house. The car was taken off the road and parked around 1998.

The car is a Carousel Red 69 Firebird 400HO 4-spd car. If my memory is correct, it's got all of the original parts except the block. I've got a WQ short block, but I'm not sure how well the dates match up.

It's a non-a/c 4-spd car, but I'm not sure whether it's got a wide ratio or close ratio tranny. There is a limited slip tag on the rear, so I'm pretty sure it's got a limited slip.

The interior is black, and it has a console and the stacked gauges. I expect it's had mice in the interior, since there are bags of clothing and curtains and such inside the car

The last time I saw it was a couple of years ago. The owner is getting up in years and said he was getting close to retirement. He claims to be the original owner, and special ordered it to get the color he wanted. A lot of what I know is based on my memory. It's hard to get a good look at anything other than the bottom of the body panels since he's stacked a lot of junk on top of the car over the years. From what I was able to see, there are a couple of small bubbles in a few spots, but I don't think there is any major panel replacement required. It's been in the dry ever since I've known it.

Assuming the body is fairly decent and it is mostly original except for the block, what would a complete car that's been off the road for almost 30 years be worth.

Old 08-15-2015, 08:57 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

That is a very rare desirable car.

No way of determining value, without seeing the car, or showing pics.

Just, go get it!

Owner/Operator of Pure Stock Auto Restorations Inc.
www.purestockauto.com

1969 GTO Judge Ram Air IV M21 4 speed 3:90
1970 GTO Judge Ram Air III M21 4 speed 3:90 Oshawa Built
1970 GSX Stage 1 M21 4 Speed 3.64 # 67 of 678 Original Paint
1970 GSX Stage 1 Auto 3.64 # 603 of 678 12.44@109.73 mph 2011 Buick GS Nats Pure Stock, 12.71@110.64 mph PSMCDR 2011
1970 GS Stage 1 Convertible Auto 3:64 12.71@109.15 mph PSMCDR 2009
1970 GS 455 M21 4 Speed 3.42
1987 GN Astro Roof
Old 08-15-2015, 08:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm going through now and reducing my collection. I've got a number of 70-74s, about half are round ports. I don't have a first gen, and I've always liked the look of this car. I wish it were a round port, it'd be an easy decision.

I'm trying to determine what I can spend and at least break even if I decide to turn it loose over the next few years.

Come on, guys, what are your thoughts?

Old 08-15-2015, 10:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

PM,just work backward.What do you think a properly restored car would be worth?Would it be as much as a RA III T/A with a NOB?I think maybe close but not as much to me.How much will it cost you to do it correctly to get that price?Now leave at least 10 % fudge and that is what you can spend on the car and come out alive.Tom

Old 08-29-2015, 01:31 PM

Take some cash with you if you approach him with an offer. Hard to refuse green cash in your face. If you like it, go for it!

Granted the car is rare because of the HO option, but it has lost a lot of the value of that because it's not a numbers matching car anymore. That's where you would get the abundance of value on this car. Don't discount that entirely though. The fact that it is an HO car increases the value still a little bit, even without the #'s matching motor.

People generally are willing to pay investment prices for #'s matching cars.