Old 08-07-2015, 01:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default New project 66 GP

I am working on a new project a 66 Grand Prix. Actually I am picking up where a previous owner left off. Therefore I have a few things I was not privy to how they were assembled. Some here may know of the car. It was supposedly stored on the second floor of an Ohio Pontiac dealership for about 30 years. It has 52,xxx original miles and the story is it was his wifes car. A few "unique" things are the bench front seat (I have seen a few in GP's), vinyl with cloth insets (forget the name of that combination), and it has headrests and a reclining passenger seat. The interior looks like "day one" the woodgrain, chrome trim, and dash pad are amazing. A few questions and advice please.

1. Are all 66 big car bumpers the same? Does 65 interchange? My front bumper is rust free but the original "little old lady" parked the car using the "bump and stop" method. If I decide to rechrome the bumper it will need a fair amount of straightening and I am concerned it will never be "right". Where is a good source for a show quality bumper or rechrome?

2. Vacuum source for heater control valve (the valve that the heater hose connects to before going to heater hose connection on firewall). I have no vacuum line running to the valve. I notice an empty hole in the firewall grommet where the other lines run. Where does the hose connect for vacuum source? This is a A/C car (sorry I don't have a service manual yet).

3. The car has a period correct 66 Tri-power on it. It has been many years since I messed with a Tri-power. Was the fuel line from the fuel pump rubber all the way to the fuel filter inlet or was there a metal/rubber combination? The tri-power was done by a popular/reputable restorer and appears to have all the correct lines/fittings/etc. The receipt shows the instructions for the application and jetting. Unfortunately it is not original to the car but I will keep it (I have the original 4 barrel and intake that are restored).

I am sure there will be more as I go along but this will help a lot.

Thanks.

MarkC
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$_587.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	404630   Click image for larger version

Name:	$_527.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	404631  

Old 08-07-2015, 05:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A 65 bumper will not work.

Looks like a nice car!

Old 08-07-2015, 06:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good looking interior. I used to have a '65 GP with a bench seat, it was the only one I've seen in person.

Keystone has a bumper chrome shop in Brainerd, MN that is well known for their quality. I've had several done there and have always been happy with them, they can straighten bumpers very well and prices are competitive (although these days chrome is expensive everywhere.) http://www.yellowpages.com/brainerd-...tries-12734386 I think (but am not sure, you'll have to check) that you can bring your bumpers to a local Keystone shop and they'll take care of shipping them to Brainerd and back. http://www.keystoneautomotive.com/

Old 08-07-2015, 09:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Agree, Keystone does a great job and is reasonable. All body shops use them one way or another.

Strato Bench, speed warning, low fuel warning, power windows, A/C.............very cool!!!!

65 Cat Ventura, 66 Cat Vert, 63 GP
Old 08-08-2015, 10:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for the recommendation. I may call them and get a quote on rechroming.

Also thanks for pointing out the low fuel warning! I missed that!. The speed warning still works. I am not sure about the low fuel light. A previous owner had removed the gas tank (car sat a long time). I believe it was cleaned and reinstalled. I have his number and have talked to him a couple of times. The person who sold the car to me said the gauge only goes to about half full when the tank is full so I will need to look into that. My goal is to get everything working as it should.

Except for the tri-power everything on the car is pretty much as built and I want to keep it that way.

A few more pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$_57.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	404758   Click image for larger version

Name:	$_517.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	404759   Click image for larger version

Name:	$_574.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	404760  

Old 08-08-2015, 10:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

a beauty! Can't wait till mine is done!

1970 GTO Convertible 455 Ram Air M-21, Atoll/Blue/Black, Hood Tach, 3:31 12-Bolt Posi, A/C, Console

1966 Grand Prix 421 Tripower 4spd, Marina Turquoise/Turquoise, a/c, console, posi, reverb. pa, pb, ps, remote mirror, mats

2010 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic, 6spd Hemi, Detonator Yellow, black stripe, black leather