THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 05-14-2015, 01:48 PM
Senior Chief

Default Air compressor oil

Anyone here use a Quincy air compressor? I just picked up a near new Qt54 on Craigslist for a good price. I drained the oil prior to transport and need to refill for start-up. I know for warranty purposes Quincy insists you use their own private label synthetic which is sold in ISO ranges based on ambient air operating temps. Any other options I should consider? I used simple ND 30 weight in my CH cast iron series but maybe it's best to stick with synthetic for the Quincy.

Old 05-14-2015, 02:00 PM
Suspended

Like you I use nd30 weight - in an 80gal 7hp compressor with a cast iron 2 stage pump which now has thirteen years on it with no problems.

IMO Quincy is just trying to sell oil to you but during the warranty period I would use what they tell you to use.

Old 05-14-2015, 02:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quincy compressors are very good. I have 3 at work, 2 of them run almost constantly. I use Mobil synthetic compressor oil on them.

Old 05-14-2015, 02:38 PM
Senior Chief

Since I bought the compressor used, Quincy won't transfer the warranty. So I can use whatever I want. This will sit in an unheated garage and I read the synthetics withstand winter/summer temp swings better. Not sure how true this is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Twister View Post
I use Mobil synthetic compressor oil on them.
The Mobil Rarus stuff? 30 weight? Unfortunately the only place I know around here that carries it is Grainger and it's more $$ than the Quincy Quincy Cip oil.

Old 05-14-2015, 03:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Twistytee View Post
Since I bought the compressor used, Quincy won't transfer the warranty. So I can use whatever I want. This will sit in an unheated garage and I read the synthetics withstand winter/summer temp swings better. Not sure how true this is.
No warranty,run what you want then. Compressors in unheated garages have been running Non detergent 30 weight for years. JMO

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
Old 05-14-2015, 05:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yes, It is the Mobil from Grainger, and it's expensive. I just took rod bearings out of one of the compressors and they looked great, after AT least being in service for over ten years cycling on and off a lot 24/7. It sounded like a rod knock in the compressor but was a loose flywheel.

Old 05-14-2015, 05:38 PM

Default Quincy oil

I have been in the compressor business for 37 years. Simple 30W ND works great in a recip, change it once a year for home use and 2 X for extreme duty like a full time body shop.

There is no big advantage to synthetic in a recip, but for a screw compressor, that is a totally different animal and you want to use a good polyglycol synthetic.

I tell my friends and customers, buy a good slow speed (900 rpm or less) recip over a screw unless you plan on running the wheel off it. T
he exception to that is when you get above 10-15HP in a single unit.