THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:09 PM

Default Garage full of magazines and memories.

I have a bunch of magazines in my garage. Magazines from the 60's that have articles testing the 1967 GTO, some Car Craft, Hot Rod and Popular Hot Rodding that are only kept because of interesting pontiac articles, almost all of Pontiac Enthusiasts, and almost all High Performance Pontiac starting at Feb 1983 issue. Every once in awhile I will sit out there and look through some, bring some inside to read again, then swap them out with some more from the garage. Yesterday, I was out there again and started thinking of all I have been through in the past 30 plus years and somehow still kept them. A first wife/ divorce, many girlfriends (some living together), many jobs, many moves, college, two kids, my wife now. I guess I just think it was amazing how my life has changed so much and really the only thing I have saved during all that time and came with me everywhere were these magazines and memories.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If the first wife or girlfriends had only known how much you cared about them they might have torched them for you.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:41 PM
Suspended

I still have a lot of my old magazines and books from way back.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:16 PM

...I have never thrown away a magazine either

...several back into the fifties, mostly early sixties until yesterday...muscle cars mags, MOPAR, Hot Rod etc etc...Playboy back to 64...fun to look at the old ones occasionally

Old 02-03-2015, 11:30 PM

...I have never thrown away a magazine either

...several back into the fifties, mostly early sixties until yesterday...muscle cars mags, MOPAR, Hot Rod etc etc...Playboy back to 64...fun to look at the old ones occasionally

Old 02-04-2015, 09:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have just taken ALL my CarCrafts and Smoke Signals Etc. to the recycling. Hundreds of pounds of them. Gone. No regrets. Not worth anything, the info is elsewhere, and I don't have to dedicate the square footage or mindspace to them anymore.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 02-04-2015, 11:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool Pay it forward!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadhead View Post
I have just taken ALL my CarCrafts and Smoke Signals Etc. to the recycling. Hundreds of pounds of them. Gone. No regrets. Not worth anything, the info is elsewhere, and I don't have to dedicate the square footage or mindspace to them anymore.
You should have posted them as free to anyone who would pay the postage or just come by and pick them up. That is what I did to my stuff. Most went by mail to someone in California and a box or two by mail to a guy in Pennsylvania. I even had clippings from mid-1950's mags with Pontiac articles in them. When is the last time you saw a road test write-up of a 1958 Pontiac fuel injection car?

Going to the trouble of packing the US Postal "fits-it-ships" boxes is well worth giving it to someone who appreciates it, and hopefully, it inspires some "new" Pontiac fans to continue the Pontiac banner.

Leave some water to prime the pump for the next guy!

Old 02-04-2015, 01:53 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadhead View Post
I did pretty much the same thing. they had sitting for years and I never bothered to look thru them, time to go. I've gotten to the point in my life where I could loose any thing I own, rather to fire, flood or whatever and I'd never shed a tear. It's all just so much "stuff".

Old 02-04-2015, 06:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had all kinds of car magazines from back in the 60s up to the late 80s saved..... until the cellar flooded in the last house I was renting up North. Lost em all. The only magazines I have saved now are the Mustang Monthlies I bought when I had no classic car to play with. I was planning on a 68 Fastback at one time, but a little wisdom that came out of the blue saved me from that foolishness. LOL I still have the magazines tucked away in case some Mustang guy needs em... and they usually do.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
You should have posted them as free to anyone who would pay the postage or just come by and pick them up. That is what I did to my stuff. Most went by mail to someone in California and a box or two by mail to a guy in Pennsylvania. I even had clippings from mid-1950's mags with Pontiac articles in them. When is the last time you saw a road test write-up of a 1958 Pontiac fuel injection car?

Going to the trouble of packing the US Postal "fits-it-ships" boxes is well worth giving it to someone who appreciates it, and hopefully, it inspires some "new" Pontiac fans to continue the Pontiac banner.

Leave some water to prime the pump for the next guy!
Yeah I just had a thread about this a few months ago. That I was trying to find recent back issues of HPP. Nothing crazy old. But like the last 5-8 years. So the tech would still be relavent, but new to me. And 5 years of magazines would easily fit into one medium box so shipping wouldnt be insane

I had about the last 8 issues on my kindle before they went under. I wish the company that owned the rights (whomever owns Hot Rod I guess) would release electronic backissues cheaply I dont see why they dont honestly, it can make you some money that way, or no money as is.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 02-04-2015, 07:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a ton of HOT ROD mags that I have been wondering what to do with.

On a similar note, years ago I had 10 years worth of BYTE magazine, from issue 1, early days of computing stuff. Actually sold it on Ebay for $30, a total of $70 with shipping. Made 0$ but glad someone wanted them.

George

Old 02-04-2015, 09:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've been buying car mags since about 1983, and still have everyone one of them. Through the years, I also got my hands on a few other people's mag collections. All in all, I have thousands of them. I can't convince myself to get rid of them, even though I hardly ever read them anymore. I sure could use the space, but I have to admit, they are a part of my life.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I gave a bunch of mags to a Navy friend. They fly overseas a lot for many hours at a time. He says they are all getting passed around the plane and helps pass the boring flight away. I also take some to the fire departments here in town.

Old 02-06-2015, 12:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have every issue of Hot Rod Magazine from volumn1-1 to present except 2 that I'm missing. One of these days I'm going to have to see if I can get those. All the rest of my magazines I've given away to whomever wanted them.