Old 01-25-2015, 12:34 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Mecum Auction in Kissimmee

Some interesting results as related to Judges.

1. From the Macchia collection. 69 Limelight green with green guts. Automatic, disc brakes, nicely done only brings $43k (no reserve). From the same collection a 69 GTO convertible Judge clone (did not have RA system and was a standard GTO engine) brings $53k. It had hidden headlights, 4 spd. Carousel Red, black guts and top. Needed a little TLC to be very nice. 69 Royal Bobcat tribute car done in Carousel Red, hidden headlights, 4 speed, RA IV engine brings $42k and was nicely done. 70 Judge Polar white, red guts, 4 spd. $53k, needed some TLC.

2. Red on Red supposedly RAIV Judge, was originally white painted top, automatic, sold at $56k. 70 GTO RAIV car sold at $85k. 69 RAIV Convertible, bench seat, former Zeb Morris car goes for $175k.

3. Very nice 70 convertible clone Judge done very well was a no sale at $55k.

4. Nice 69 Judge Carousel Red 4 spd, sold for $105k. Low optioned car.

Several other GTO's with the Judge option added but did not sell.

All prices do not include 8% buyers fee.

MarkC

Old 01-25-2015, 10:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

All over the map on prices with some clones doing better than real judges or RA IV cars?

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 01-25-2015, 07:56 PM

Confusing indeed.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:27 PM
Senior Chief

This clause from Mecum's auction terms add to the confusion...

"The auctioneer has the right to place a bid for consignor up to the reserve amount."

So is it a real auction or not? would be interesting to know how often the auctioneer exercises this right.

Old 01-25-2015, 10:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

It is quite simple. We saw this several times. The bidding assistants holler/yell like they have a bid but no one was bidding. It clearly states they can bid up to the reserve. My explanation is they want to make their 8% so they will bid the car up to the reserve to "get the ball rolling" if no one else will and hopefully get a real bid over the reserve. If it does not get a legitimate bid above the reserve no harm. The car is still available in the "Bid goes on". My understanding at this point is you can make an offer and it is up to the seller to accept the offer. However be careful. I was talking to a local car dealership owner who ended up buying 2 cars at the auction instead of only one. Seems he made an offer in the "bid goes on" and at first the seller did not accept but later did. In the meantime he thought he was "out" on that car and bought another one. When he went to settle up at the end of the day they told him he bought 2 cars! He was a little surprised. I suggest attending a few auctions and doing your research. I think there are deals but at the same time there are cars that go for more than they should.

As for prices all over the place here is what I think the market values. Garden variety musclecars do not need to be numbers matching. Color combo and quality of workmanship is important here. A few tasteful mods and even a full resto mod can bring as much if not more money. Desirable cars such as Judge/RAIV/SD etc.. need to be numbers matching and fairly accurate. Clones of high end cars (Convertible TA clones, Judge convertible clones) can bring good money because a lot of people want the look but don't or won't pay the coin to have the real deal. Also color combos have a lot to do with it too. The 69 Judge that was Limelight Green with Green interior was done nicely and appeared to be correct but there was just too much green. I think the car originally had a green vinyl top too.

I saw a couple of 71 Lemans convertibles go for $22k and $29k. One was average the other nice but both in my opinion were not worth that much.

MarkC

Last edited by MCronkGTO; 01-25-2015 at 10:20 PM.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Another observation. I have attended this auction for several years. There are a LOT of cars that go through and a lot are not more than just nice drivers and some not that nice. Don't get me wrong there are some serious high end well done cars there too. However I think this is why you see prices all over the place. They all look good in the brochure but in person they are a different animal.

I found it interesting that all the 71 Hemi cars in the Wellborn collection never had their hood or trunk open during the viewing times. They all brought very good money from $900k to $150k so I have to assume they were very well done and correct. Just odd you would bid that much without having a chance to look under the hood.

MarkC

Old 02-04-2015, 11:53 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

MarkC. the reason the Wellborn Collection cars never had hoods open was to prevent walkaways of some expensive NOS goodies and original items underhood. Of course someone real determined might nick something anyway but it's harder when the hood is closed. That draws a crowd the minute you open it.

Old 02-04-2015, 12:34 PM

The Wellborn Collection cars were available for preview in a "Registered Bidders Only" section in one of the indoor display areas at Kissimmee. Guards were posted and there were no exceptions granted for access. I did notice some hoods up for inspection on Friday morning.

Old 02-04-2015, 06:57 PM
Senior Chief

I saw a 65 black and red 2 plus 2 vert that was in the catalog for saturday but did not go through! any ideas what happened to it? Also I do know of one car that was bid up by mecum that did not have any bids on it.

Old 02-04-2015, 07:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was wondering what happened to that car also because I have its twin and I'm taking mine to auction at the end of the month. I wanted to compare the price and see if it was inline with what I expect to get for mine. I had people down there looking for it but nobody could find it.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The 65 2+2 was never at the auction. I looked for it everywhere. I can only assume it must have sold before the auction.