67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 12-09-2014, 04:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 1968 FB Automatic to Muncie Swap list

The questions in short are,

What shifter
what shifter a rod set
How to wire and install backup light switch and neutral safety switch?
What is the best speedo cable routing?
Header interference?

I was excited to see the trend of Muncie talk in here while searching but I wanted to start my own topic. In my old age I try to plan and research before jumping in to get the best result!

I have a 68 Firebird that is currently setup for ST300/TH350. I wanted to get specifics on a few items however I'll start with the overview and maybe it will help future searches. I have some parts but others I will be sourcing from scratch.

Items needed affected by swap(please read and revise if you see something is missing!)-

Clutch
Flywheel
Throwout bearing
Fork
Pilot bearing
Shifter
Reverse light switch and harness
Neutral safety switch?
Inspection covers
Speedo Cable
4 speed console
Rubber boot and retainer for shifter
Bell housing
Linkage
Transmission
Z-bar
Brake/clutch pedals
Frame brace
Driveshaft
Crossmember

I have in hand the following-

Bell housing
Linkage (spring, rods, hook)
Transmission (1968 M20)
Z-bar
Brake/clutch pedals (68 specific)
Frame brace (holds the Zbar to the subframe)
Driveshaft (same as the ST300/TH350)
Crossmember (same as the ST300/TH350)

My items with questions are Shifter, Backup switch and harness, neutral safety switch, Shifter rods and brackets, speedo cable and Headers.

Shifter - looks like the only choice for s clean non-custom fit is the Hurst competition plus shifter. There was a crossmember mounted shifter before 68. As far as other aftermarket shifters they all require mods to the tunnel or hit the console. Is that right? Is the comp plus the best shifter choice when starting with nothing in an auto swap? The Street super shifter looks cool but sounds like it won't work with the sheetmetal and console?

Backup switch and harness- It looked to me like in some cases a backup switch mounted directly to the shifter body but in other cases it mounted to the side cover and activated with a shifter rod arm. What is the story here?
-Harness, is the factory repro harness a plug and play at the auto harness or are there some splices needed? Or entirely different harness here?
What is the simplest solution for adding reverse light switch?

Neutral safety switch - How is this integrated on 68? I know the 69 column and backdrive is different.

Shifter Rods and brackets - I saw Harold B.'s post on FGF about the repro kit. I'm not clear on if it came with the specific bracket for reverse that activates the reverse lights?
Can I buy this kit and a comp plus shifter and call it done?

Speedometer cable - The cable attaches to the passenger side on the M20 and the driver side on automatics. I just need a slightly longer speedo cable? Does this mount cleanly just looping over the top of the tail shaft?

Headers - On the FGF do headers typically interfere with the Zbar or do they play nice? If there are problems where are they? Easy to resolve? Lots of room?

The FGF forum has a great template for cutting the tunnel hole and I am thankful mine is currently unbutchered. Anyone have tips or tricks for cleanest cutting? Maybe even a way to roll the lip?
http://firstgenfirebird.org/f-a-q/sh...peed-for-1968/

Also found this great set of pics showing the parts needed from Brian F.
https://plus.google.com/photos/10590...09036816296049

Old 12-09-2014, 07:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't have an answer to all of your questions but I can tell you this. A manual transmission 68 Firebird does not have a neutral safety switch. First year for manual transmission safety switches was 69. As for back-up lamp switch, I converted a 68 Camaro to Muncie (right side speedo drive) so I used a Muncie back up switch and harness:

http://www.camarocentral.com/product_p/wir-312.htm
http://www.camarocentral.com/product_p/das-299.htm

The harness goes thru the firewall and there is a dimple already for that, I found exactly where in the 68 Camaro assembly manual. You just have to drill it. The hole dimension I found in the assembly manual as well.

As for the speedo routing and entrance, I found all that info in the assembly manual as well. The speedo routing and entrance in the firewall is totally different on a Muncie equipped car. I enters the firewall kind of behind the distributor and is held with a few clips in the transmission tunnel. You do need a longer speedo cable.

When I did that conversion, I found quite a bit of info on the Team Camaro website.

Frank.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

By the way, the Super Shifter will not work with a console. It ends up on the very left side of the tunnel. Many years ago, I had a 68 Camaro with a Hurst Ram Rod inline shifter. It was cleanly fitted with a custom 4 speed "hump" like second gen F-body or A-body have. There was no way a console would have worked.

Old 12-09-2014, 07:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This is the correct 68 backup switch for performance years
RFU02A
Description: 1968 Firebird Back Up Switch Bracket Kit
INCLUDES THE SWITCH MOUNT BRACKET, SWITCH AND SWITCH HAMMER BRACKET W/WIRING. Does NOT include switch mounting clip, use RFU02C for Clip!!

For brackets only use RFU02B.

The one noted in the above post works but is 69.

For use of console or with out you can use Hurst shifter with the round bar. 391-4339 RB

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HURST-1967-1...cb0215&vxp=mtr

Do not use the hurst installation kit. Buy the rods from NPD Item 4035. When I ordered mine it came with the plate to mount the shifter but is not listed as a part.

If it does not come with the plate you can get it here. http://www.heartbeatcitycamaro.com/s...cket-kit-1969/

One important piece is your crank. Not all automatic cranks is machined for a pilot bearing. It all depends on the year. So that is something you will need to verify.

Last edited by silverbullet07; 12-09-2014 at 08:12 PM.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Frank! and Harold!

Good advice on the crank Harold, I did verify. I've been luck, every Pontiac I've had so far was machined. 68 350HO, 68 400 2bbl,69 428 2bbl, 72 400 TA, 72 455 2bbl.

So I see that shifter comes with the correct round stick. That's cool.

Seems odd that the clip is the only thing not included with that switch. Come to think of it, I wonder if PY would consider putting a package together of all the parts and selling it as such. It would be the swap set.

Old 12-09-2014, 09:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Anyone have experience with headers and the z bar fitment?

Old 12-09-2014, 10:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's a picture of a 67 Camaro with a Muncie showing the speedo cable routing and entry point in the firewall. You can also see where the back up light harness enters.

Old 12-09-2014, 11:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donovan View Post
Anyone have experience with headers and the z bar fitment?
No problem whatsoever with super comps.

Old 12-09-2014, 11:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68azbird View Post
No problem whatsoever with super comps.
That's good news, thanks!

Old 12-09-2014, 11:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankyboy455 View Post
By the way, the Super Shifter will not work with a console. It ends up on the very left side of the tunnel. Many years ago, I had a 68 Camaro with a Hurst Ram Rod inline shifter. It was cleanly fitted with a custom 4 speed "hump" like second gen F-body or A-body have. There was no way a console would have worked.
I'm a little disappointed since the reverse lockout feature sounds great. Really good detail on your experience. I often wonder about things like that and can imagine trying to make the second gen F-body or A-body hump. hahahaha

Old 12-10-2014, 11:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

do not use a super shifter unless you dont mind hammering the trans tunnel, and no console, ive done it many times, now i use, the hurst competion shifter for console

Old 03-27-2015, 09:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I continue getting stuff sorted out. I wanted to figure out a way to buy it all from PY but they are short on the list and then they merged ames!

I did pick up the Hurst shift from the link, Thanks again Harold you are a great help!
I used the make offer button and was able to get it at a decent discount compared to anyone else. I haven't made a move on any of the other parts but I have some money to spend now.

That shifter is sweet! I fondled it before putting back in the box hahahaha

Old 03-28-2015, 06:04 AM
Suspended

I know you'd like to have all the parts to be able to do it all at once , but your list is a lot of doubling up on some of the parts as you have over thought what is needed to swap over your trans. I have a feeling that no matter how much you try to think it out so all the parts are there so it goes very smooth there is always going to be something over or left out when you do something like this. It's not to discourage you but I would sit down & if you can have a car right in front of you when you order your parts so you can look right at a car that has a 4 spd. init while you order

Old 03-28-2015, 06:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Rex! I feel like I have a friend out there I've never met. I can't deny the over thinking.

BUT the delay has been money more than worry of all the parts at once. I do think I have a pretty good handle on the most important stuff. I wanted to support our sponsor with my purchase.

Old 03-29-2015, 01:28 AM
Suspended

I can say & feel good about it when I say when your on this site most all the guys & gals you talk to are going to be friends, it 's just that way. But I can say say all you need to do is ask & I will be glad to help any that I can. car people are I think some of the strongest friendships around.

Old 06-12-2015, 11:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Got the speedo cable run and the old hole plugged with a 1" rubber filler plug. Very good part from AMES

Got the clutch linkage and pedals in, that cross bolt was a little tough to do holding the pedals in.

Been trying to sort out a console partially because it will locate the hole accurately. But I'm confident I've sorted that out with measurements from a 69 Firebird as well as pics and FGF template.
I've been doing stuff to lose weight in the car already so I've talked myself into going no-console. I can always add it later. New carpet is about$170 where a new console is $550 even an old beat one is still $300. The factory console is really not very functional anyhow.

Mocked up the engine and everything is looking great. I'll have to make a cover for the hole in the tunnel since the auto hole does overlap the edge of the Muncie hole. I'll use some nice sheetmetal and some sealer then throw carpet over.

Also got an Autogear front bearing support and some hardware to put on the Muncie.

Still need to decide on clutch. hmmmmm