THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 12-04-2014, 11:54 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Merry Christmas, you're FIRED

You are never going to believe this.

I got fired yesterday. Out of nowhere. I got into a completely different field trying to vary my professional background (from experience if you stay in Aerospace you end up being way pigeonholed) so I was learning alot of stuff.

From day 1 I had problems with my supervisor. I was trying to be nice to him, try to explain my line of thinking and how I was used to things/work. I had changed my approach a couple times with him to see if I could get him on my side, but nothing worked.

He was always micromanaging me. And when I would make a mistake he would try to hit me over the head with it, and wouldnt really explain how we should do it. Just make a big deal that I did do a mistake and even going as far as including coworkers in the email chain.

The thing that would aggravate me the most is when he would make a big deal about something I did, or didnt do, and I would later see that he did the same exact thing.

I got like ZERO training in any of their processes, I taught myself their software, and I never really got clear instructions, my supervisor would tell me one thing, then our boss another. Then he started making a big deal that I wouldnt ask questions, usually when I would get stuck I would try to work out of it, so that I would learn how to do that better, but he just wanted me to ask him and move on regardless of whether I learned or not.

I would regularly hear him complaining down the hall to our manager (I have really good hearing).

So yesterday we officially wrapped up the new project and all my work was done.

Basically we were done for the year. We were ready to ship out the new products. All that was left was detail stuff like preparing the documents.

So I was feeling pretty good. I noticed my supervisor was acting weird all day, ducking me, avoiding conversation, then at like 4:30, my manager goes by my office and asks me to go talk to him in his office and POW.

Can you believe this? Right before Christmas, Right before our baby is born. Talk about coldhearted. Now that Im thinking back Im starting to remember instances that happened that make me think my supervisor had been planning this for a while.

INSANE!

68 Firebird 400, YC 400, Hbeam rods, ported 670 heads (2.11i, 1.77e valves), 1.65 RRs, Torker 2 intake, Nodular Crank, Eaton Limited Slip, Richmond 3.55 gears, M-20 M4
97 Trans Am WS6, LT1, M6, FLP LTs, Cutouts, Flowmaster catback, Jet Airfoil, K&N air filter, MSD Opti and Coil
14 Fiat 500e 83kW motor, 24kWh lithium ion battery, +2 sized summer tires
Old 12-04-2014, 12:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Been there, done that. Christmass 2008. These guys don`t give a sh!t.They will use you till they have a convenient opening to can you. They figure they can get someone tomorrow that will do your job for less pay. They will never put their egos aside for someone that can DO the job. They would rather put up with a loser with knee pads.

The old saying; Keep sucking till you suck seed.

Last edited by PunchT37; 12-04-2014 at 12:40 PM.
Old 12-04-2014, 12:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The thing that makes me even more mad is they were just about to give out the Christmas bonuses in a few weeks, crazy

68 Firebird 400, YC 400, Hbeam rods, ported 670 heads (2.11i, 1.77e valves), 1.65 RRs, Torker 2 intake, Nodular Crank, Eaton Limited Slip, Richmond 3.55 gears, M-20 M4
97 Trans Am WS6, LT1, M6, FLP LTs, Cutouts, Flowmaster catback, Jet Airfoil, K&N air filter, MSD Opti and Coil
Old 12-04-2014, 12:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainofiron View Post
The thing that makes me even more mad is they were just about to give out the Christmas bonuses in a few weeks, crazy
Just icing on the cake to my statement above.

Old 12-04-2014, 12:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Man that sux. If you were in NJ, I'd say I worked for that same guy! I had the exact experience with my lead a few years back. Was always trying to pin things on me, didn't make my responsibilities known, but said I never did anything, that I should just "know" what to do. Had it out with him a few times. I was a short timer anyway as I was planning to move out of state. Worst 2 years of my career. NEVER met anyone like that.

And companies wonder why employees have trouble with dedication - because it's always in the back of your mind that this could happen at any time.

My Garage
Tarheel Tigers Pontiac Club of Raleigh, NC
Old 12-04-2014, 12:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sad to hear.
What reasoning did he give?

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 12-04-2014, 12:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Being unemployed is never a good thing...BUT,

It's the attitude you have between your ears that make a difference, in the situation.

Sounds like your job wasn't something that a person could put up with for very long!!!

God has ways of protecting us that we don't understand. I'd count it as a blessing.

Nobody is EVER going to be able to work for your old boss. He will treat EVERYONE the same as he treated you.
It would be fitting for him to hire your replacement that CAN'T even do their job, and/or make your old bosses life
a living HELL at work. We are not supposed to think this way, some folks invite these situations because they truly don't
know how to work with people, only how to control and manipulate others.
I left a similar job 2-1/2 years ago. MAN, I am thankful for my new job, Thank You LORD!!!

I'll pray that you find a new and BETTER job quickly, making 2015 a kickoff to a much better job!!!
Jeff

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...

Last edited by 77 TRASHCAN; 12-04-2014 at 01:00 PM.
Old 12-04-2014, 12:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 TRASHCAN View Post

It's the attitude you have between your ears that make a difference, in the situation.

Sounds like your job wasn't something that a person could put up with for very long!!!

God has ways of protecting us that we don't understand. I'd count it as a blessing.

I'll pray that you find a new and BETTER job quickly, making 2015 a kickoff to a much better job!!!
Jeff
Well said!

My Garage
Tarheel Tigers Pontiac Club of Raleigh, NC
Old 12-04-2014, 12:55 PM

They were threatened by your knowledge and abilities. Been there, it's not fun. Get up, brush yourself off and get that next job. Do not let this experience shake your confidence - you were working for incompetent losers.

Old 12-04-2014, 12:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
They were threatened by your knowledge and abilities.
X3. See it all the time.

Old 12-04-2014, 01:33 PM
Suspended

Lightbulb

Sorry to read about your job situation. Suxs. Been there, doen that, have several T-Shirts!

But no time to dwell on the negative right? So, I recommend you seek out, join and attend professional job search networking groups in your area ASAP!

It will help you deal with the anger, frustration, sense of loss and get you out of the house and structured meetings and actual people-to-people networking. Tip: Seek out the ZERO cost Professional organizations. Note the LINKED-IN Groups (below.)

Here's a quick search under "Austin Texas Job Search Networking Groups" link HERE

Also you can also file for unemployment ASAP which you can do over the telephone...regardless of what they told you @ the company. http://www.twc.state.tx.us/

You may also find some nuggets here @ Workforce Solutions Capital Area http://www.wfscapitalarea.com/

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Old 12-04-2014, 02:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That is pretty rotten office politics and it sounds like you were done wrong. Could be a great year ahead, however. Being in Texas, you have a pretty good job market and it's likely that you'll look back at this and want to thank that jerk for being a jerk.

Old 12-04-2014, 02:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jones View Post
Sad to hear.
What reasoning did he give?
that I wasnt performing to the level of my experience. Basically this guy had been there from straight out of college (10+ years) and was expecting me to pick up and perform like him and the other engineers in a completely new field

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 TRASHCAN View Post

Nobody is EVER going to be able to work for your old boss. He will treat EVERYONE the same as he treated you.
It would be fitting for him to hire your replacement that CAN'T even do their job, and/or make your old bosses life
a living HELL at work. We are not supposed to think this way, some folks invite these situations because they truly don't
know how to work with people, only how to control and manipulate others.
I left a similar job 2-1/2 years ago. MAN, I am thankful for my new job, Thank You LORD!!!

Jeff
Thanks, I do appreciate it.

Im not really stressing out, mainly trying to help my wife handle it and just trust that yea God did have a plan and everything happens for a reason. Im more relieved than anything. Because I hated going in everyday. At my old job I was working with friends basically, only to go to a place where everyone has their office doors closed and wont open and only respond to IM's it was infuriating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
They were threatened by your knowledge and abilities. Been there, it's not fun. Get up, brush yourself off and get that next job. Do not let this experience shake your confidence - you were working for incompetent losers.
Thanks man. Yea I got the feeling he wasnt a very good engineer, when I tried to have technical discussions with them, he would just give me a blank look. He was good at computers, but didnt seem to know much about the design/calcs behind the software.

Basically Im just feeling like it was the wrong job for me, I felt like a 455 trying to be stuffed into a Miata, HAHAHAHHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
Sorry to read about your job situation. Suxs. Been there, doen that, have several T-Shirts!

But no time to dwell on the negative right? So, I recommend you seek out, join and attend professional job search networking groups in your area ASAP!

It will help you deal with the anger, frustration, sense of loss and get you out of the house and structured meetings and actual people-to-people networking. Tip: Seek out the ZERO cost Professional organizations. Note the LINKED-IN Groups (below.)

Here's a quick search under "Austin Texas Job Search Networking Groups" link HERE

Also you can also file for unemployment ASAP which you can do over the telephone...regardless of what they told you @ the company. http://www.twc.state.tx.us/

You may also find some nuggets here @ Workforce Solutions Capital Area http://www.wfscapitalarea.com/

Best of luck and keep us posted.
thats good info.

I did get a severance package, so Im going to treat it as a paid vacation while my wife is in teh last couple weeks of the pregnancy, then I will hit the bricks hard. This morning I brushed up my resume and applied at a couple places where I would be doing what I love.

I think more than anything having address in the city will help. I cant help but think that back when I was in New Mexico that having a potential relocate 700 miles made alot of companies not want to interview me.

Will the unemployment affect my severance?

Old 12-04-2014, 02:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Id check into the bonus thing...if you completed the project and was there, im not sure they can keep the bonus..im not an expert, but i remeber a friend taking a companyto the labor relation board and he won hands down....but that was before the crash..id still check around a little.

as bad as things looks..it may be the push thru a door to a better future.....dont let it get ya down and keep your eyes open...i heard something yeterday that really made me think about ME...

it doesnt matter if the glass is half full....or half empty...as long as you are the one pouring the water...in other words, you control your destiny....grab the pitcher....

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 12-04-2014, 02:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i received my 10 year service award last thursday, this tuesday the wheels announced our division is up for sale, im 55 have a 401k, and more importantly a pension plan w this co. ive built my life around working here right here and now i have to transfer elsewhere, yes it sucks.

Old 12-04-2014, 02:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Seen this all the time at my previous job too. Letting people go just before Christmas.

I pray the best for you and your family.

Old 12-04-2014, 03:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Something like that happened to me years ago - it was a blessing in disguise.

It sounds like that job sucked - you'll be better off with a different one. Good luck.

Old 12-04-2014, 03:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Does the company have a medical leave policy that provided time off for having a child, and if so, does your boss know that your wife is expecting?

Old 12-04-2014, 03:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxjunk View Post
Id check into the bonus thing...if you completed the project and was there, im not sure they can keep the bonus..im not an expert, but i remeber a friend taking a companyto the labor relation board and he won hands down....but that was before the crash..id still check around a little.

as bad as things looks..it may be the push thru a door to a better future.....dont let it get ya down and keep your eyes open...i heard something yeterday that really made me think about ME...

it doesnt matter if the glass is half full....or half empty...as long as you are the one pouring the water...in other words, you control your destiny....grab the pitcher....
Well the bonus is based on performance and company profitability. SO I am willing to bet that they will just say that I didnt perform and since its a private company I wont be able to get anything regarding profit.

Yea I agree, I feel more relief than anything. I just got the severance package and they are paying for insurance until next year which is the main thing we were worried about with teh baby coming any time now.

Definitely glass half full (maybe even 3/4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtanner View Post
i received my 10 year service award last thursday, this tuesday the wheels announced our division is up for sale, im 55 have a 401k, and more importantly a pension plan w this co. ive built my life around working here right here and now i have to transfer elsewhere, yes it sucks.

Sorry to hear man, hope that works out for you, if not roll that 401k into an IRA and go get some oil stocks

here is a really good read as far as that http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=34700

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrt View Post
Seen this all the time at my previous job too. Letting people go just before Christmas.

I pray the best for you and your family.
Thanks man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris65LeMans View Post
Something like that happened to me years ago - it was a blessing in disguise.

It sounds like that job sucked - you'll be better off with a different one. Good luck.
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator67 View Post
Does the company have a medical leave policy that provided time off for having a child, and if so, does your boss know that your wife is expecting?
I think they just had the minimum FMLA stuff, and yea they knew we were about to have the baby

Old 12-04-2014, 04:06 PM
Suspended

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainofiron View Post
thats good info.

I did get a severance package, so Im going to treat it as a paid vacation while my wife is in teh last couple weeks of the pregnancy, then I will hit the bricks hard. This morning I brushed up my resume and applied at a couple places where I would be doing what I love.

I think more than anything having address in the city will help. I cant help but think that back when I was in New Mexico that having a potential relocate 700 miles made alot of companies not want to interview me.

Will the unemployment affect my severance?
Don't take my posts as gospel, please verify all topics as they apply to your specific situation.

Some of the things come to mind (intended as positive reinforcement FWIW):

IIRC - By law they have to offer you COBRA health insurance...that can charge you up to 100% above the previous contribution rate (by the co & yours?) and is handled directly by the insurance company. Usually some wait time until you receive the enrollment info and costs. Can be pricey $$$ wise...

Hence my suggestion is to "hit it hard" now while you can wo distraction of your new child, etc. and can establish your local job seeking professional networks and be in que for openings to be fill before year end (happens often) and the time/your severance/and cash flow can go by fast, fast, fast. And important to be able to have others to share "realities" associated with being between positions, and current interviewing trends, questions, etc.

Severance $$$ have to be declared, so - again- perhaps best to focus on networking, local engineering etc. gatherings.