The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 10-27-2014, 04:01 PM

Default 1970 GTO quarter panel swap questions

I'm replacing both my quarters and the rear deck filler panel on my 70 GTO. Currently I have the filler panel and the drivers panel cut out, and I have everything underneath cleaned up and epoxy primed, and I have the driver's quarter mounted, but not screwed or welded in place. Without the filler panel in place, my gaps seem pretty darn good. If anyone is curious about aftermarket panel fitment quality, 70 panels are probably the best fitting ones on the market. That being said, whenever I put my filler panel in, it pushes the quarter out too far, and the quarter/trunk gap is way too wide. I'm trying to figure out if this is because the new filler panel is too long, or if my passenger quarter is pushed in too far. My deck lid was lined up properly to both quarters and the old filler panel before I cut anything out, so I think the issue is in the filler panel. I'm guessing the solution will be to cut out a very thin section from each end of the filler panel, but I was hoping there were some competent body guys who have done this kind of work on a 70 before I proceed. This is my first ever restoration attempt so if I sound like an idiot that's why. I have attached as many photos of my panel gaps as I have. The very first image is the quarter/trunk gap WITH the filler panel in place and the next one is WITHOUT the filler panel. Thanks in advance for the help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0312.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	379986   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0314.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	379987   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0313.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	379988   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0307.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	379989   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0308.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	379990  

Old 10-27-2014, 07:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am not a "competent body guy" by any stretch, but I found the same thing when I changed my drivers side quarter and filler panel.

I believe the issue is the filler panel is slightly too wide. Since this was the first quarter panel I had ever changed and I was learning as I went, I was very concerned about doing too many things at once and screwing it up. What I did was leave both factory quarters in place, and start by just replacing the old filler panel, which made it easy to see that it was too wide.

To fix this, I didn't cut anything, I just bent the 90* flange at the end of the panel until it was flat, and then using a flat hammer and dolly I put a new 90* bend on the end but moved inwards a bit, which effectively made the filler panel narrower.

Once the filler was narrowed it fit OK and I attached it to both quarters and the inner trunk structure with sheet metal screws. After everything was screwed tight and the gaps were good, I then removed the drivers quarter and did all the fitting I needed to do to that panel.

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...
Old 10-28-2014, 07:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think you have identified the problem, that was wise to have the lid aligned and on the car while building it. Just shorten the panel.
Seeing the jack stands under the frame concern me, though. I hope you are putting the weight of the entire car on the suspension, and not the frame.

Old 10-28-2014, 07:28 AM

The Jack stand was only there because I had to remove the wheel to drill out the spot welds in the wheel well. This is how she sits now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0326.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	380103