Ames Customer Satisfaction Forum Post a 'current' compliment, suggestion or issue with regard to an Ames service or product.

Old 08-30-2014, 11:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default PY Online Ordering is the Pits!

Good Lord! I have tried for hours and hours to dig through that terrible online ordering website and finally gave up. What a mess. I guess I am forced to pay the extra fee to have a human do it.

PY - Your company seriously needs to look at updating that terrible system

69 OHC ZH Sprint Hurst 3 Speed 3:55 (1 of 213)
99 Valkyrie 1520cc Flat 6 108hp/110tq - For Sale
http://sohcsix.yuku.com/forums/1/OHC-lounge
Wanted: 1969 OHC "H" Camshaft
Old 08-30-2014, 01:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I do agree that the online ordering isn't up to date compared to a Summit or similar website. I would think that would be a big cost to do so though.
As an alternative I wrote down the parts needed (just bought release fork, boot and springs) from the PY "paper" catalog. I then called and left message with the PN's etc.. Stuff showed up at my door the 2nd day plus I got a 2% discount for using that service.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I hate the part using PAYPAL, I don't know for sure if my order went through or charged untill at least a day later when I am directed to another site [that I couldn't get to open] to finish making my PAYPAL payment.
I end up calling in my order with my order #.

Old 08-31-2014, 01:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I started an order and just quit. I also called and the guy didn't want to talk unless I had part numbers.

1963 Cat SD Clone (old school) streeter
1964 GTO post coupe, tripower, 4speed (build)
1965 GTO 389 tripower, 4 speed, driver
1966 GTO dragcar
1966 GTO Ragtop
1969 Tempest ET clone street/strip
1969 GTO Judge RA lll, auto
1969 GTO limelight Conv. 4speed go and show (sold)
1970 GP SSJ
1970 GTO barn find..TLB…390 horse?….yeh, 390
1972 GTO 455 HO, 4 speed, (build)
1973 Grand Safari wagon, 700hp stoplight sleeper
525ci DCI & 609ci LM V head builds
Old 08-31-2014, 02:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have to agree. As much as I love the forums and the fact that I've always gotten good service and products from PY...the online ordering is such a pain that many times I go the the APE just for the ordering convenience.

Old 08-31-2014, 02:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

wow..not having #'s and not wanting to talk to you?
to bad you didn't have the person's name and turn him in.
I have delt with people there and with out #'s they were very considerate..[Paul Spotts and Mike].

Old 08-31-2014, 06:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
I have to agree. As much as I love the forums and the fact that I've always gotten good service and products from PY...the online ordering is such a pain that many times I go the the APE just for the ordering convenience.
I ended up doing it the old fashion way and filling out the tight catalog form manually and faxed it in. Took all of 10 minutes to complete. I haven't ordered from Ames in a while but now I am going to go take a look.

69 OHC ZH Sprint Hurst 3 Speed 3:55 (1 of 213)
99 Valkyrie 1520cc Flat 6 108hp/110tq - For Sale
http://sohcsix.yuku.com/forums/1/OHC-lounge
Wanted: 1969 OHC "H" Camshaft
Old 09-02-2014, 04:37 PM

Default Gotta agree with you.

I like PY just fine. I've spent some good money here. But their website is really outdated. REALLY outdated. Honestly, most times, I buy online from heartbeatcity. I know, BOOOOO on the Camaros- but most of the stuff is the same except for the motor- and once you use that website, it's over. You get an auto ship notation from them in 2 hours. If PY used their system, they'd be RICH RICH RICH
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tach1.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	375121  

Old 09-02-2014, 04:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMD1969 View Post
Good Lord! I have tried for hours and hours to dig through that terrible online ordering website and finally gave up. What a mess. I guess I am forced to pay the extra fee to have a human do it.

PY - Your company seriously needs to look at updating that terrible system
Do you know what problems you were having? IE, logging in, finding parts, not enough pictures of products, adding to cart...

Old 09-02-2014, 08:33 PM

Default well

Its everything. The way the site is organized. You have to think like a customer would to understand. For instance, the search engine stinks. Wayyy too much emphasis on part numbers on your site. In fact, the default setting for the search engine is actually set to search part numbers! So you want a centercap for your rally wheels? Type in center cap, and hit search. No results. Every single part you want to search you must select "description" first. I can promise you 99% of your customers search descriptions. So why have part number as the default? Also, when you do get a match, the results come in a very hard to enjoy format. You cannot adjust the number or type of hits displayed per page. In short, it just is not fun to browse the site. I do not enjoy it- it looks like a website from 1997. Its also slow too. Classic's website is bad too by the way. I already mentioned one website that is great- perfectly laid out, great categories, extremely helpful descriptions, and fast as heck. Hope this helps.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

First and foremost, I am a customer, not an employee nor the owner. Maybe because I'm older, I don't get how the younger generation (you probably say gen) thinks. And, there is a thread to voice your opinions on.

If you can look through a catalog, you should be able to look through the site.
For your example, "I" would click on the vehicles' catalog I'm working on, IE Firebird. Click on the Wheels tab (to the right), click on Rally II attaching and the center caps are being shown (no typing).

Old 09-03-2014, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugbandtulsa View Post
For instance, the search engine stinks. Wayyy too much emphasis on part numbers on your site. In fact, the default setting for the search engine is actually set to search part numbers! So you want a centercap for your rally wheels? Type in center cap, and hit search. No results. Every single part you want to search you must select "description" first. I can promise you 99% of your customers search descriptions. So why have part number as the default? ........Classic's website is bad too by the way. I already mentioned one website that is great- perfectly laid out, great categories, extremely helpful descriptions, and fast as heck. Hope this helps.
I totally understand the frustration but please try and realize several things.

1. The emphasis IS on part number search because it's the opposite of what you think. 90% of our customer base has our catalog already! We use to default to description and since we changed it, the complaints have all but subsided to an occasional topic like this.

2. Our industry's products are not conducive to shopping by description! It's not just PY. It's not just Classic Industries. It's ALL of us. It's so frustrating to hear customers like you complain like it's just PY that has this problem. ALL the restoration supply companies have the same challenges.

Above you demonstrate my point perfectly. You say 'centercap' and you left out the space. Unless you are Google or Ebay (multi-billion dollar companies) you are not going to find 'centercap' if the real description is 'center cap'. I tested your search by keying in 'center cap' while selecting only the GTO catalog and 13 results come up. Pretty much everything our print catalog has. So I'm not sure what you were doing that is yielding 'zero' results except maybe the same thing you did above ie 'centercap'.

Here's another example; Say your dash gas gauge doesn't work and you suspect it's a problem with the device in the gas tank which will remain unnamed for a moment. What do you call it? What's its description? Well we hear customers referring to it as a Tank Unit, Sending unit, gas gauge, fuel sender, fuel gauge gas tank sending unit etc.

I can go on with examples like this for probably 20,000 part numbers. Do you follow the logic of the complexity of maintaining a description database that meets the needs of all of our customers personal automotive dictionary?

Anyway, all I'm asking is that you guys keep an open mind when you complain about your online shopping experience like it's the only thing that is important to you. I can't believe how many people have said 'PY was frustrating. I guess I have to go to Ames'. Like Ames online shopping experience is any better. If that's the #1priority for you, then I feel sorry for the person that buys your car when it's done. :(

After you shop for a 32 gb micro SD card on Amazon or Ebay, is it fair to come here and hold our small niche Pontiac company to the same standard? After you go to Disney World and then go to your local carnival, is it fair to compare the two? Yep, that's right, I'm comparing us to a carnival because from a size standpoint, it's pretty accurate! But there's nothing wrong with a good carnival either! And PY is a pretty damn good carnival! :)

There's only 2 companies on the planet that supply ONLY PONTIAC parts. PY is one of them. You can't go anywhere else and get this kind of selection, expertise, inventory, customer service or pricing. And even if you can bounce around from site to site and are lucky enough to purchase about 1/2 of what you need for your vehicle, you're going to have a similar frustrating experience IF YOU SHOP BY DESCRIPTION!

Despite this overwhelming and impossible situation, we continue to make thousands of improvements in our descriptions each year to yield better results and we will continue to do so.

In the mean time, we HIGHLY SUGGEST three very good ways to get those Pontiac parts you need;

1. shop by category
2. if you have our catalog, use it in conjunction with your online shopping (by part #) for a much better experience.
3. you can always pick up a phone and talk to some of the most knowledgeable experienced helpful staff you'll ever find. :)

Old 09-03-2014, 12:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, that's probably my problem. I haven't had a PY catalog for quite some time, wheras the other guy sends them to my quite regulary. I dug around here for a PY catalog for quite a while and couldn't find one.
I"m kind of an impulse buyer. I decide that I'm going to order my whatever it is, sometimes at 2am and I want to order it right now..or sometimes I may be at work. If I've got that catalog on my nightstand or in my locker, I'll break out my laptop and it's done. If I don't have the catalog nearby, I will do a search by nomenclature. In that regard, PY is still more difficult to use...I don't know why, it just is for me at least.
I'm definitely not a phone guy and avoid them at all costs. When you get a call from me, it's usually because there's a problem.
My most recent purchase was some Legendary seat covers. I went to PY, did not have any problem finding them but they were all listed out of stock...so, I went over 'there' and ordered the exact same product.
It took 5 weeks to get them.
It then occurred to me that it's probably the same as PY in that regard except PY listed them out of stock because they are drop shipped? The out of stock message is always a turnoff to an impulsive buyer like myselt. In that one arena maybe it would be better to note that they are drop shipped and how long it takes.
Bottom line, PY has gotten better with the web shopping experience (as opposed to 8~10 years ago) and I understand exactly the issue with using a naming convention as opposed to a part number.
It took me quite some time to get a user name over here that would work. You guys worked with me and I finally got one but to this day, I have password issues.
I'm still a PY fan though and shop the other guys as well sometimes just because you're both appreciated as Pontiac only suppliers.

Old 09-03-2014, 01:21 PM
Administrator

Good stuff Greg! It's very helpful to see people's buying habits. Regardless of whether PY thinks it's the right or wrong way to look at things, it is what it is. Gotta try and cover all the bases.

We were just making arrangements to send out a bunch of catalogs to our customers. If you have a catalog that's more than 18 months old, it's REALLY OLD. There are so many new items now, something 6-9 months old is outdated. This is good timing.

Old 09-03-2014, 01:31 PM
Administrator

fyi,

Current 64-74 GTO Catalog is 12C run this Spring

click here to order a free catalog: http://performanceyears.com/include/...OTempestLemans

Current 67-81 Firebird catalog is 13A which is really outdated. However, we just sent a new FB catalog to the printer. It should be ready to start shipping in about 3 weeks. Click here to order the new FB catalog:
http://performanceyears.com/include/...ata=FirebirdTA

Current 69-77 G-Body GP catalog is 2GP. Clicke here to get a free G-Body GP catalog
http://performanceyears.com/include/...Data=GrandPrix

The following links are to our online catalogs for

55-76 Fullsize Pontiac (except 69-77 GP); http://www.pysales.com/iw_products.m...11?company=PY1

The Late Model 2004-2006 GTO, G8, 1994-2002 TA; http://gtog8ta.com/

Old 09-03-2014, 05:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's a little tutorial...

Click on 'Catalogs' at the top of forum pages.

Then hover your arrow over 'CATALOGS' and click on appropriate catalog in the dropdown menu.

Then you can click on any of the following: SEND ME A CATALOG, BROWSE CATALOG ONLINE or shop now.

You can also hover your arrow over 'ORDER ONLINE' and click on 'SHOP NOW' in the dropdown menu.

Then either type in the search word or item number and click appropiate box or you can view the items interactively.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CatalogsA.jpg
Views:	497
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	375204   Click image for larger version

Name:	CatalogsB.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	375205   Click image for larger version

Name:	CatalogsC.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	375206   Click image for larger version

Name:	CatalogsD.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	375207  

Old 09-03-2014, 06:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Catalogs are always available at any event that PY attends. Matter of fact, my car was on the cover of last years GTO catalog, so I got a few of them :) Whether I need items right away or not, I always pick up a new catalog to make certain I am current.

I have been working on a 1949 ford truck lately and the my buddy who owns it has been ordering from LMC Truck. When I had a question about the accuracy of one of the parts ordered, I went to their website. It sucks. There was absolutely no description of the part, nor any other details. Just their part number and a price. Then I called them. I spoke to a lady who had no idea what a carburetor is, and she put me on hold to try to get someone who had anymore info. When she got back on the line she told me there was nobody who could answer my question. Great service, I think not.

I would imagine LMC Truck is a much larger organization than PY, but I guarantee PY has far better service. Plus I get to see Chris, or any of the other guys out at Carlisle and other events. I would be willing to bet $$ that you cannot see the owner of LMC out at a swap meet.

I will be honest, I bought a lot of items from Ames when I started building my car, because my father always bought from Steve Ames back in the 80's when he was restoring GTOs. Since I joined the forums and have been to all but one of the open house events (missed the 2014 event due to a health issue), I switched my primary vendor. I have been very happy with the service I have gotten over the phone, online, at a swap meet, and at PY's world headquarters, I don't think I have bought anything from Ames in 3-4 years. I agree that it can sometimes be tough to find something online, but a free phone call usually points me in the right direction.

Just my .02˘

1966 GTO Montero Red Hardtop - Holley EFI'd 462, KRE DPorts/Muncie 4spd
1990 Chevy 454SS pickup - Accel DFI/T56 6spd - Hot Rod Power Tour Long Hauler
1996 Chevy K2500 ECSB 'Poopy'
2002 Honda VTX1800C
2016 Cadillac CTS Premium

My project thread: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=516826

Old 09-03-2014, 06:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't really complain unless something is wrong, but it saw this thread, so.....I recently tried to order parts online from PY because you guys host this site as well as good parts and excellent service and my experience was less than stellar(on line). I also find the site difficult to navigate. I much rather read thru the catalog than shop the site. I understand that companies like Amazon spend big money on their site but let's face it is the wave of future. Which is certainly not new news. Catalogs can't be cheap between photos, printing and shipping, but in my opinion investment redistribution may be necessary. I too am an impulse buyer and I want what I want when I want it. I order from PY all the time and don't even bother shopping or try buying online with PY anymore. Don't worry you still have my business though, I just call. Point is really not fun PY online. Incidentally my most current catalog is 13a.

For what it's worth.....

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 09-04-2014, 02:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieT/A View Post
I don't really complain unless something is wrong, but it saw this thread, so.....I recently tried to order parts online from PY because you guys host this site as well as good parts and excellent service and my experience was less than stellar(on line). I also find the site difficult to navigate. I much rather read thru the catalog than shop the site. I understand that companies like Amazon spend big money on their site but let's face it is the wave of future. Which is certainly not new news. Catalogs can't be cheap between photos, printing and shipping, but in my opinion investment redistribution may be necessary. I too am an impulse buyer and I want what I want when I want it. I order from PY all the time and don't even bother shopping or try buying online with PY anymore. Don't worry you still have my business though, I just call. Point is really not fun PY online. Incidentally my most current catalog is 13a.

For what it's worth.....
You aren't one of those guys, but as evidenced by this topic, there apparently are members that are so frustrated, that they have decided to take their business to other companies without evidence of a better online experience. Nor are some willing to give PY enough credit for the balance of everything else PY provides to the Pontiac community. PY's not asking for hand outs. Not asking for you guys to have pity.

PY is not settling or giving up! There's a lot of continual improvements coming from PY with regard to the Internet shopping experience, but the bar has been set pretty high. As technology becomes more readily affordable, some of the features you'd like to see will be incorporated. But realize that the 'bar' will be set even higher with these giants. PY nor our competitors will ever look or function quite as good as the giants in this online environment. My point was to look at the things PY CAN do every bit as good or better than these giants. Stop comparing us to the likes of those giants and not close the door on PY just because just a single aspect that we came up a little short on.

Old 09-04-2014, 03:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Might I suggest attending the PY Open House in June. My son and I have attended the last 3 years. That is where you can see first hand how PY really cares about the hobby (also maintaining this Forum). Sure, it's a business, but there's real good caring folks steering the ship IMO.
Most folks who buy stuff online can be spoiled by the big corp. e-tail sites but PY just requires a bit more effort for just as satisfying a buying experience.
(Tshirt size is XXXL btw lol)