THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 08-23-2014, 08:42 PM

Default My Starlight Black 69 GTO Judge!!

One year ago today I purchased the car that I grew up dreaming about.

1969 GTO Judge
Starlight Black
Black Vinyl Top
Black Interior
400 Ram Air III
4 Speed (M-21)

I have been a car guy my whole life. I caught the car bug at an early age living in a neighborhood that had a lot of car guys and a ton of cool muscle cars. Even though I was only eight years old, I knew this car was special and different from the other cars. I never dreamed that 41 years later I would own Mark Fry's 1969 Gto Judge. Mark was the second owner and purchased the car in Columbus, Ohio in 1972 and went through several motors including the original Ram Air III and a very stout 427 L88, yes a Chevy motor.

Mark had the car repainted in 1977 and drove it until 1980 when he put it a way to clean up the bottom and turn it into a street/strip car. He pulled the original 10 bolt and built a bullet proof 9 inch Ford with 40 spline axles and a spool. He purchased a Richmond 6 speed and had an aluminum rod 440 Pontiac motor built to power the car. (I think he felt guilty about the Chevy Motor he had in the car)

Mark continued to work on the car over the next several years but had some health issues that kept him from going all out on the car. Mark's health continued to decline and he struggled to get the car back together. Unfortunately Mark passed away in 2005 and never got the car finished, what he did get finished was very nice. He also made sure that everything he did to the car was done in a way that it could be returned to the stock configuration. His son took possession of the car and put it in storage in a mutual friends garage. It sat on a trailer in a very nice heated garage for the last 8 years. I stayed in contact with the mutual friend all of this time and made it known if Jason (Mark's son) ever wanted to sell it, I would love to get the car and keep in our circle of friends.

In 2013 I started thinking a lot about Mark and the Judge and made a phone call to my friend storing the car and asked him to contact Jason. He called me back after talking to Jason and said it was time to sell the car and he would like to talk to me. I immediately sent away for the PHS documentation and confirmed the car was what I remembered.

When I was in town for the Good Guys and the POCI Nationals in 2013 I was able to stop by and see the car in person. I had not seen the car since he took it off the road in 1980. I was pleasantly surprised how nice the car was and how many parts that came with the car. The car came with some very cool go fast and aftermarket parts. The more I learned about the car the more I was leaning towards restoring the low mileage car back to the way it was delivered to Marte Pontiac in Columbus, Ohio.

I have sold the performance and aftermarket parts to get this great muscle car with a lot sentimental value back on the road. I have started collecting the original parts to get this Judge back on the road. I have truly learned a lot from this forum and have met a lot of great people selling and buying parts. I will continue to keep everybody update on this project. Here are a few pictures of the car when I first picked it up.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	374138  

Old 08-23-2014, 08:50 PM

Paint looks pretty good for being painted in 77
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	144
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	374139  

Old 08-23-2014, 09:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks great just like it is. Some attitude.
Great story.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:10 PM

car looks great! What rims and tires are on the back? They fill the well perfectly!

Old 08-23-2014, 09:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice Judge!

Good Luck with getting it back to original specs.

USPS Money Orders or Wal-Mart to Wal-Mart money gram wire transfer -preferred payments.

If Payment doesn't show up in 3-4 days, I move on to the next person that wants it.

Serious Inquiries Only - Shipping Isn't Free.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Love the triple black - definitely worthy of a resto to original specs.

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
Old 08-23-2014, 10:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

congrats on finally getting it. post a copy of the phs if you don't mind.

Old 08-23-2014, 11:23 PM

One of my favorite color combos! used to have one in a convertible...

Old 08-24-2014, 11:14 AM

...beautiful, black is the perfect color

...I have a black 4spd Judge convertible

Old 08-24-2014, 12:35 PM
Senior Chief

I think Mr. Fry would be proud you are taking care of it.
John

Old 08-24-2014, 12:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Man, I don't care how much you paid for it, when you get a car like that, that you've admired since you were a little kid, you just hit the lottery just by getting it! Congrats. It's beautiful.

Old 08-24-2014, 05:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You are honoring his memory! Keep us posted on your progress, let us know if there is any way we can help.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 08-24-2014, 07:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Looks real good with those Welds on there. I think I would leave em on there. Jim

Old 08-24-2014, 07:51 PM

Triple black Judge... it doesn't get any better than than that!
Congratulations on fulfilling a lifelong dream!

Old 08-24-2014, 08:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Very cool story! It is also great it is going to someone who truly appreciates it.

-Dave

----------------------------------------------------------

2004 Grand Prix GT daily driver
1974 LeMans GT 455
Old 08-24-2014, 08:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lucky man! I don't think Mark could have chosen a better "next owner" to care for it.
Keep us updated, it's going to be sweet.

Old 08-24-2014, 10:29 PM

Thanks guys, this forum has been a huge help in educating me on what I need to know about this car. Every member I have talked to has been very knowledgable and friendly. Whether I was buying parts, selling parts or just asking for information, everybody has been great. This forum is by far the most helpful, most respectful group of people I have seen in any of the forums.

In the paperwork that came with the car he had several dash plaques from past GTO National events as well as several issues of The Legend news letter dating back to the mid 80's. He was always talking about the "Goat"! I'm looking forward to getting back on the road. Mark was a great guy and true Pontiac enthusiast, this car meant the world to him. (See the Photo Below)

The Weld Wheels do look great on the Judge, they fit perfect! The custom fitted 9" was the key to the way they fit. The fronts are 15x4 with Pro-Trac P215/75 and the rears are 15x10 with Firestone FireHawks 10.5 x 29.5 x 15. It was tempting to leave them on it but they were about 15 years old. More pictures to come on the progress so far.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	114
Size:	172.7 KB
ID:	374262  

Old 08-25-2014, 07:33 AM
Senior Chief

Send a message via AIM to 1968firebird455

Keep the pictures coming John. I remember talking to you at Norwalk last year about this car. Glad the deal went through. I know the car is in proper hands to get her back to her former glory.

Old 08-25-2014, 10:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My brother, Mark, also had a 69 Judge. He passed away at the age of 49 last December. So this story real hit home. Rest in peace Marks.

Old 08-25-2014, 11:51 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Great story and car. Mr Fry departing at just 51 seems criminal in the scheme of life.