Old 08-17-2014, 04:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Vent flap seals

I ordered some new kick panel flapper seals for my 65. Looks easy enough and the seals have holes in them that match the factory rivets, but the seal itself seems significantly larger than the flap? Are you supposed to have to trim these? Hard to imagine why they would go through the trouble of putting the rivet pattern on the repro seals but then not trim them.

Or is the seal supposed to be bigger than the flapper door?

Old 08-18-2014, 05:15 PM
Senior Chief

For 1964

Steve,

I'm not that familiar with the '65 model year, but believe the vents are similar. By comparison, the 1964 oval metal flap measures roughly 7.25" x 3.75". The oval foam-rubber seal measures roughly 8.25" x 4.75". The seal sticks out about .5" around the circumference of the flap. The oval flap consists of two metal sheets riveted together, with the foam-rubber seal sandwiched between. The foam-rubber seal simply folds over the flap, transitioning near (at the spring point, and just beyond the second point) the pivot points. In other words, the seal is folded away from the direction of travel of the flap when closing the vent (on one of the long sides the seal will fold backward, and along the opposite side it will fold forward). The second photo shows the seal up in the front, and down (not visible) to the rear. The foam-rubber lays against the wall of the housing to complete the seal. The factory did not trim the seal at the two pivots, as the seal self adjusted based on the amount of resistance it encountered at the housing wall. The photos below are of an original, unmolested, '64.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1964 Kick Panel Vent 001.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	373637   Click image for larger version

Name:	1964 Kick Panel Vent 002.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	373638   Click image for larger version

Name:	1964 Kick Panel Vent 003.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	373639  

Last edited by JAKE 64; 08-18-2014 at 05:31 PM.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKE 64 View Post
For 1964

Steve,

I'm not that familiar with the '65 model year, but believe the vents are similar. By comparison, the 1964 oval metal flap measures roughly 7.25" x 3.75". The oval foam-rubber seal measures roughly 8.25" x 4.75". The seal sticks out about .5" around the circumference of the flap. The oval flap consists of two metal sheets riveted together, with the foam-rubber seal sandwiched between. The foam-rubber seal simply folds over the flap, transitioning near (at the spring point, and just beyond the second point) the pivot points. In other words, the seal is folded away from the direction of travel of the flap when closing the vent (on one of the long sides the seal will fold backward, and along the opposite side it will fold forward). The second photo shows the seal up in the front, and down (not visible) to the rear. The foam-rubber lays against the wall of the housing to complete the seal. The factory did not trim the seal at the two pivots, as the seal self adjusted based on the amount of resistance it encountered at the housing wall. The photos below are of an original, unmolested, '64.
Hi Jake,

That's exactly what my 65 looks like. I guess I can just go ahead without trimming then, the seals are correct. To me, it just looked like something was "off" but I suppose not!

Thanks for the help, I was really confused. No wonder it takes so long to finish a car!