Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 07-26-2014, 02:37 PM

Default Which rods

I have a 535 engine. IA2 block, Scat 4.5 crank. I've got Eagle rods and JE pistons in it now. We're going to change the pistons to up the compression and I was thinking of changing the rods to Oliver or something similar. Is it worth it or are the eagles with L19 bolts good enough? Just trying to make it as reliable as I can. It's a bracket car. About 2400 pounds.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Dang, whats the compression ratio, now???

Reason I ask, is a friend has a 541 w/ dished pistons and e-heads, his is slightly over 14:1

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 07-26-2014, 07:38 PM

Old 07-26-2014, 09:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Just get it running!

Then put a turbo on it....

Old 07-27-2014, 05:53 AM

It's running. Got it out back from Dales Saturday. He had to do more work than we thought to a car that was running. Had to put new shocks and springs on back . Completely rewire the car. Rebuild the steering. The list goes on. But after the other firebird went 6.9 with low compression we decided to up it in this one before we go out. That was the original plan. To put a turbo on it.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would say that depends on the RPM you plan to run.

Old 07-27-2014, 09:29 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

how high of compression are you targeting?

Also what ET are you targeting?

Old 07-27-2014, 11:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Food for thought... connecting rods are far more stressed as they go thru tdc dwell than they are on the down sweep of the power stroke. RPM and recip weight play the biggest role in what the rod needs to handle NOT Horsepower itself.

This is bore out in that vast majority of rod failures are stretched or separated NOT crushed or bent. (Bent/crushed usually not caused by rod itself or too much HP)

Depending on rpm and recip weight your rods could be fine. If you do decide to change rods Id suggest talking with Oliver THEN talk with BME... IMO if your app is 99% race Id go with the BME's...if street Id still consider them in certain applications.

Old 07-27-2014, 05:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

You got a light car - it's a bracket car - if the eagles are in good shape with a new bolt... You should be good!

If you want to up ur compression - that should wake it up more. Just get a good set of pistons... If it's already assembled- just run it. You can always upgrade later.