THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 07-24-2014, 11:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Anyone here with Parkinson's?

Is anyone on this board suffering from Parkinson's disease? I've had some symptoms for years that have gotten worse just recently that are very similar to Parkinson's. I have to hold on to a glass really tight and pay close attention in order not to spill it. No pain or any other problems, just lot's of muscle twitches. It's hard to type because I have to correct so many mistakes were my fingers just jump across the keyboard. Not a biggie, just an aggravation at this point.

I have an appointment with my GP next Monday morning, I'll see what he says.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 07-24-2014, 11:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mother in-law had it for years. Shaking as you describe but that was it. She pass a few years back of heart failure.

TOM
Old 07-24-2014, 11:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My Dad had it. His hand would twitch when he wasn't doing anything but would stop when he used it. It progressed to where it was shutting down his motor functions at times. I am told MS can cause tremors also. My hand shakes at times so hope I don't get it too.
Good luck. Hope all goes well for you.

ECM member.
2008 Outlaw Pontiac Drag Series Champion
MANDRA
Do it now fool! Life is short.

69 Grand Prix/3163lbs / IAII 535 w/ Tiger heads by Gaydosh....9.35@ 144 so far.. through mufflers. 1.26 60'.
Going back to track with pump gas engine....
My 60 Ventura retired to street/strip duty..
Old 07-24-2014, 11:39 PM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry H. View Post
Is anyone on this board suffering from Parkinson's disease? I've had some symptoms for years that have gotten worse just recently that are very similar to Parkinson's. I have to hold on to a glass really tight and pay close attention in order not to spill it. No pain or any other problems, just lot's of muscle twitches. It's hard to type because I have to correct so many mistakes were my fingers just jump across the keyboard. Not a biggie, just an aggravation at this point.

I have an appointment with my GP next Monday morning, I'll see what he says.
He's going to refer you to a neurologist. It's not necessarily Parkinson's. What you're describing could be an "intention tremor."

Good luck.

Old 07-24-2014, 11:40 PM
Senior Chief

Might want to run tests for Huntington's as well.

2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS Jeff Gordon Edition
2017 Dodge Challenger SXT Black Top Edition
Old 07-25-2014, 06:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My former mother-in-law and my uncle have it, terrible thing. Hope it's not what you suspect.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Know many older people (mid 70s) with tremors. First try a couple shots of scotch. Can abate them. Dr actually suggested prior to going on meds. Then there are medications. One friend took the meds for years but HATED the side effects. He had a hard time holding a fork or spoon prior. He eventually gradually reduced meds and quit them. Now tremors are less significant and he is happier without the meds. He is a big golfer.

Tremors far more common than Parkinsons. Good luck.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 07-25-2014, 10:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I definitely have some sort of tremors. But it would be hard to have scotch at 6am in the morning! Seems thats when they are the worse.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

My Dad has tremors, youngest brother also, Thankfully I do not. I have enough other health issues....
The tremors are not easy to deal with, but are livable.

Parkinson's can be dealt with, but is another whole different story. It progressively screws w/ your body, until you lose most of your motions, like walking .

One of my fellow Pontiac enthusiasts has the real Parkinson's Disease. He's had it for around 10 years, retired 3 years ago @ 64.

The only medication that has ever worked, is called L-doppa. It's been used for years. The problem is that the longer you use it, the less effective it is. He's a member here, but doesn't post. He's going in for an evaluation soon to potentially have a new technology type of surgery. I know little about it but he says sensors are implanted in your brain that stimulate it to lessen the effect of the disease. I'ts worked on many folks...He says he will be happy if it just helps a little. He's taken L-Doppa for so long, that it's effectiveness is really starting to drop off. I'm praying for the surgery to make a great difference in him!!!

The time table with which Parkinson's degrades your body is different for everyone. There's a point in which the disease has taken a massive toll on your body called "The Wall". When you hit the wall, you're bed ridden, essentially a veggie. Few make progress after the wall. I believe God can heal you, however, whenever, whatever!!!

Jerry, I hope your only problem, is from NOT having that scotch @ 6 A.M....

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 07-26-2014, 09:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have two friends that have Parkinson's. One had a type of surgery on one side of his brain, and they are wanting to do it on the other. He's had it for about 15 years now, he can't work because of his tremors. I haven't seen him since the surgery so I don't know how much it has helped his tremors, but it has helped his speech. The other friend is a car guy and helped me on my 65. He had to go my 2:30 everyday because his meds would start to wear off. I haven't seen or talked to him, but his brother tells me that his has had that surgery and he is a ton better.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My dad (82) has had the symptoms (and diagnosis) for about 6 years. i'm not at all convinced it's Parkinson; seems highly correlated to his nutrition//eating.

Eats well : clear thinking and talks well, moves well. Technically minded.

Eats poorly : stu stu stutters badly with fits&starts making speech uncomprehendable, twitchy hands, and cannot walk. Bad memory too.

If that is Parkinsons then there you go. Try nutrition that works.

Old 07-27-2014, 09:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Jerry H.

I do not know if you are on any other medications but I have heard that there is something called medication induced Parkinson's. My brother has been diagnosed with this and was put on Requip a couple of weeks ago. I will see him today and find out if it helped.

Old 07-27-2014, 11:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

http://www.apdaparkinson.org

Excellent resource.

Turbo 535, CV 1 heads.

Built by Cerralli Competition Engines

Tenth Anniversary (Van Nuys) restored.
Tenth Anniversary Barn Find (Norwood)
Both 4 speeds!
Old 07-27-2014, 08:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry H. View Post
I have two friends that have Parkinson's. One had a type of surgery on one side of his brain, and they are wanting to do it on the other. He's had it for about 15 years now, he can't work because of his tremors. I haven't seen him since the surgery so I don't know how much it has helped his tremors, but it has helped his speech. The other friend is a car guy and helped me on my 65. He had to go my 2:30 everyday because his meds would start to wear off. I haven't seen or talked to him, but his brother tells me that his has had that surgery and he is a ton better.
Jerry, glad to hear, will forward positive feedback.

Had not heard of the nutritional aspect. Proper nutrition I am sure would help. I know my buddy does eat pretty healthy. He physical health has been a slow, but unfortunate downward spiral, in last 8-10 years.

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 07-27-2014, 08:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Low blood sugar??? Essential tremor???

Old 07-27-2014, 10:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dillon View Post
He's going to refer you to a neurologist. It's not necessarily Parkinson's. What you're describing could be an "intention tremor."

Good luck.
X2 My sister in law has had slight tremor for years but not Parkinsons.My father had Parkinsons.His hand tremors were only at certain times.His other traits were shuffling
his feet and stiffness as in not being able to turn his head to look behind him,and easily loosing his balance

Old 07-27-2014, 10:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponchjoe View Post
Jerry H.

I do not know if you are on any other medications but I have heard that there is something called medication induced Parkinson's. My brother has been diagnosed with this and was put on Requip a couple of weeks ago. I will see him today and find out if it helped.
I am on a ton of different meds, but nothing has changed in a couple of years,

Old 07-27-2014, 10:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I worked with a guy who was 70 years old the had tremors pretty bad,If he had to sign his name for something legal(loans ect)it had to be in the morning.His hand writing was not readable later in the day.