Old 07-23-2014, 06:20 AM

Default 67 Chevelle package tray steel interchangeable?

Hey all.

Forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere, I did try a search but came up empty handed.

Simple question really, Is the '67 Chevelle Package tray steel the same as/interchangeable with a '67 Tempest

Mine has rotted out, and I have 2 options, one just fab a new one, or be lazy and buy the chevele one and modify to fit.
I noticed the one that is available comes with a deck lid support too, and certainly thats missing from my car.

All help much appreciated

Col

Old 07-23-2014, 07:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The Chevelle piece is shorter but it may be possible to make it work. I'm surprised that no one has restamped the lower support for BOP

Old 07-23-2014, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
The Chevelle piece is shorter but it may be possible to make it work. I'm surprised that no one has restamped the lower support for BOP
well thats encouraging. dont mind a bit of fab work. width should be the same though I Hope

Col

Old 07-23-2014, 09:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

its not close enough, i tried it years ago..ya have to buy a used one

lemans skylark and cutlass interchange

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 07-23-2014, 10:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If I had a good clean used one, i could get them stamped out. Not sure why it hasn't been done already. They always seem to rust out.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxjunk View Post
its not close enough, i tried it years ago..ya have to buy a used one

lemans skylark and cutlass interchange
Hmm. not so good then. not right in any dimension? Used ones seem like hens teeth to find, but not impossible I guess

Old 07-23-2014, 12:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

width is right..

the BOP cars are about 5 inches longer from the inside edge of the package tray to the edge of the decklid...so both are longer to make it up..its a lot of work to put one in let alone butcher up a chevelle one just because its avail...rust frees arent hard to get...you just gotta buck up and spend the money

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 07-23-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxjunk View Post
width is right..

the BOP cars are about 5 inches longer from the inside edge of the package tray to the edge of the decklid...so both are longer to make it up..its a lot of work to put one in let alone butcher up a chevelle one just because its avail...rust frees arent hard to get...you just gotta buck up and spend the money
I wouldnt be chopping up an original piece, a repro would be on the cards for that.

I shall continue the hunt, but for sure theres nothing over here in the UK!

Old 07-23-2014, 04:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Col, do you mean you're looking to replace the package tray steel just behind the rear seat, or the deck between the rear window and the trunk lid? You're getting two different replies. I think you're asking about the one inside the car behind the rear seat to the rear window.... correct?

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
Col, do you mean you're looking to replace the package tray steel just behind the rear seat, or the deck between the rear window and the trunk lid? You're getting two different replies. I think you're asking about the one inside the car behind the rear seat to the rear window.... correct?
Yep I'm looking for the piece inside the car not the section from the window to trunk lid.

Mine is toast and the support under the section from the window to trunk lid is non existent too!

That's the reason I was asking about the chevelle one as it comes as a whole unit with that under deck support, so if I need to extend that but 5 inches should be simple enough .

Col

Old 07-23-2014, 11:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We're looking to repro that piece, along with the 67 quarters, trunk pan, and other ancillary pieces just as soon as we can find a good car to use as patterns. Willing to pay and travel for the right car. Good quarters, trunk floor, etc.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 07-24-2014, 07:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Jerry- I have seen many good donors. However they are all out west. Might have to buy a complete car and strip it down. More expensive for sure, but in the grand scheme of reproduction, I don't think it will make a bit of difference in the final cost

Old 07-24-2014, 11:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK-Col View Post

That's the reason I was asking about the chevelle one as it comes as a whole unit with that under deck support, so if I need to extend that but 5 inches should be simple enough .

Col
Col, if you have a body shop near by that works on restorations ask them if the one from a Chevelle will work. If they've worked on either either body before they might know. Or take measurements and compare the two if you can, but still ask them.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 07-24-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
Col, if you have a body shop near by that works on restorations ask them if the one from a Chevelle will work. If they've worked on either either body before they might know. Or take measurements and compare the two if you can, but still ask them.
I'll have to go down the measurements route, no one near, so its all down to me.

Waiting on a couple of prices from breaker cars, just looking at all the options

Old 07-24-2014, 01:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Look on the Year One site and see if Chevelle and GTO use the same part number for the package tray interior panel. If so, the metal is the same dimensions on both cars.

Old 07-24-2014, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 4spd. View Post
Look on the Year One site and see if Chevelle and GTO use the same part number for the package tray interior panel. If so, the metal is the same dimensions on both cars.
Good idea, checked, and yep they have the same part number. Looks like will need to mod the support panel but the rest should be ok

Old 07-24-2014, 05:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Check with Dynacorn.com. http://www.dynacornclassicbodies.com/classic2.html

Contact them and ask if you can buy the package tray shelf separately from the body. Maybe they'll do a special arrangement for you seeing you're in the UK. Won't hurt to ask. Worst case is no.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 07-24-2014, 10:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
Jerry- I have seen many good donors. However they are all out west. Might have to buy a complete car and strip it down. More expensive for sure, but in the grand scheme of reproduction, I don't think it will make a bit of difference in the final cost
Andre, that's exactly what I'm looking for at this point. A complete 67 Tempest, Lemans, or GTO that has 3 things; good quarters, a good trunk floor, and a good panel from the trunk lid to the back seat. Surface rust is ok, minor dings and dents are ok, even minor rust holes are ok as long as they are not are the very bottom of the quarters. We're willing to pay market value.

If you run across anything, please let me know! Of course I'll pay a ff if we make a deal.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT