Old 07-19-2014, 04:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Who does dash panel restoration?

Just wondering who does dash panel restorations for our 67' GTO's and how much it usually runs? I know the new bezel from PY is around $350 but I have a really nice stock AC panel I would like to use if I could. If its cheaper ill get it restored. anyone have any good sources for this?

-1967 GTO HO Restomod. PKMM 433ci, SilverSport T56 Magnum 6spd, Moser 9", SC&C and a bunch of other pro touring goodies

- Build Thread
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...615847&page=23
Old 07-19-2014, 06:54 PM
Senior Chief

http://www.instrument-specialties.com

They are a member here.

http://chrometechusa.com

Also come to mind

Nate

1970 "Real" Judge RAIII 4-speed, Atoll Blue w/painted white top. Mild RAIV headed 400 motor in now.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

May want to stay away from guy in Texas.

Old 07-20-2014, 12:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR67GTO View Post
May want to stay away from guy in Texas.
Mr., that sounds like Good advise.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:47 AM
Senior Chief

I talked to ChromeTech last weekend at a show. For '66 and '67 he gets about $400 for re-chroming and detail painting.

Nate

1970 "Real" Judge RAIII 4-speed, Atoll Blue w/painted white top. Mild RAIV headed 400 motor in now.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What level of finish are you looking for Nick? Concourse? Cruise night? Local show?
I ask because I posted this in the interior forums a while ago.
I was like you and had a decent core I wanted to use but couldn't justify the cost of a professional refurbish when I could buy a repop for probably less. I figured for 20 bucks I could try this and if it didn't work, I could always still buy the repop.
I love the way it came out. The only question left to time is how durable it will be over the years to come. Right now, it's lookng very good.

Old 07-20-2014, 01:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default New 1967 GTO Dash Bezel

Here is a photo of a brand new (repo) 67 Lemans/GTO Dash Bezel. For a $350 retail price I doubt you could get an old used bezel re-chromed for that.

The bezel comes as you see it, so you would have to add the woodgrain fascia. The plastic comes pre-painted for a car with either and all black interior OR a car with a white (parchment seat ) interior. If you have another color you would have to paint the outside of the new part to match.

Make sure that you spend the extra $ and get the higher quality wood veneer that comes with a thick tan plastic backer.

Note: (Some backers are made from die-cut aluminum.) The backer is not something you would see in the finished installation but it is VERY important that it be there!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	~0000_1967 New Dash Bezel and Gauges~tpp.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	370711  

Old 07-20-2014, 02:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

To add to what Pete says.....

Before you permanently install the wood veneer, you can use a wide black Magic Marker around the outside edges and around the gauges so the color on the panel doesn't show. Or brush on some flat black paint instead. But do test fit the veneer first, as it might need to be trimmed to fit properly.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Serio View Post

Make sure that you spend the extra $ and get the higher quality wood veneer that comes with a thick tan plastic backer.

Note: (Some backers are made from die-cut aluminum.) The backer is not something you would see in the finished installation but it is VERY important that it be there!
I tried the one without a backer twice and it never did turn out right. I'm wondering where you get the one with plastic backer. I was under the impression that the aluminum backed one was the one to buy.

Old 07-21-2014, 01:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
What level of finish are you looking for Nick? Concourse? Cruise night? Local show?
I ask because I posted this in the interior forums a while ago.
I was like you and had a decent core I wanted to use but couldn't justify the cost of a professional refurbish when I could buy a repop for probably less. I figured for 20 bucks I could try this and if it didn't work, I could always still buy the repop.
I love the way it came out. The only question left to time is how durable it will be over the years to come. Right now, it's lookng very good.
Now thats a great idea. I might give this a go first. Im not looking for show quality 100pt resto. Just not the old silver ring around the gauges with testors model silver paint quality either.

Your idea seems to be spot on for what im looking to do.

-1967 GTO HO Restomod. PKMM 433ci, SilverSport T56 Magnum 6spd, Moser 9", SC&C and a bunch of other pro touring goodies

- Build Thread
Old 07-21-2014, 01:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Serio View Post
Here is a photo of a brand new (repo) 67 Lemans/GTO Dash Bezel. For a $350 retail price I doubt you could get an old used bezel re-chromed for that.

The bezel comes as you see it, so you would have to add the woodgrain fascia. The plastic comes pre-painted for a car with either and all black interior OR a car with a white (parchment seat ) interior. If you have another color you would have to paint the outside of the new part to match.

The problem with these bezels is that they are not cut for AC dashes. I would be hesitant to cut a brand new $350 dollar chineese plastic dash. I can't get around thinking it would split on me???

- Build Thread
Old 07-21-2014, 01:41 PM
Senior Chief

x2 on the guy in texas, he took nine months on mine, told me it would only be 12 weeks. Cost me my entire summer driving season and they put me through h%##.

Old 07-21-2014, 03:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Backer for woodgrain trim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbys View Post
I tried the one without a backer twice and it never did turn out right. I'm wondering where you get the one with plastic backer. I was under the impression that the aluminum backed one was the one to buy.
From what I can recall the backer piece for 65 and 66 GTOs was always made from Aluminum. In most cases the wood on top was real walnut veneer. Or I have seen some 1965 GTOs with the original "wood" that was not real wood. GM did have a way of making a very thin product out of fiberboard with a screen-printed top surface made to resemble wood. For '67 they went to an all plastic product. This had a tan colored backer board and the fake look wood grain was a printed vinyl product bonded and embossed right on top of the tan plastic with tiny little "fake grain lines" pressed in.

I do not know if anybody makes an exact repo of the '67 only plastic woodgrain with the bonded backer board exactly the same way as GM made it to begin with. I just wanted to make note of the way the cars were built as I remember.

Old 07-21-2014, 04:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbys View Post
I have read other threads on this subject recommending this place:

http://mysite.verizon.net/resqw1t3/gtodash.com/

I've never used their products before so I cannot comment on them. Although very recently I've twice asked them for a sample of their dash insert to see if it will match the original vinyl on the console of my '67. They said they'd send one out right away but I never got anything. Follow up emails were never answered so I dunno what their deal is.

Old 07-21-2014, 05:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pete, a lot of the wood was walnut veneer over thin luan plywood for 66 dash inserts. They had to save money seeing an all walnut insert would be very expensive. Probably the reason they went to stick-on vinyl in 67 for the dash and console.

The original insert in my 66 GTO right now is veneer over luan. Looks bad an needs to be changed.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 07-21-2014, 06:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Backer board made of plywood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
Pete, a lot of the wood was walnut veneer over thin luan plywood for 66 dash inserts. They had to save money seeing an all walnut insert would be very expensive. Probably the reason they went to stick-on vinyl in 67 for the dash and console.

The original insert in my 66 GTO right now is veneer over luan. Looks bad an needs to be changed.
Hi, are you saying on your '66 there is no aluminum backer? I don't think I have ever seen one on a '66 without. Comes to mind there were several aftermarket companies in the mid-1960s, they would advertise in magazines such as Speed Age. Car Craft, Hot Rod or Road & Track for accessory wood inserts to put wood styling into dashes on various cars. Even if there was never any wood in the car make or series to begin with. I am pretty sure that these companies also made aftermarket replacement wood for GTOs. I remember seeing ads for those. Is it possible yours could have been replaced at some point in the long ago past?

Old 07-21-2014, 07:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pete Serio, thanks for clearing that up me. Mine is a 66 so the backer would/should be aluminum.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm not saying there was no aluminum backer Pete. I've never removed the wood insert on either 66 GTO, so I have no idea if it's there or not. All I know is that it's a walnut veneer over thin luan plywood. My veneer is peeling away in spots and I can see what's underneath.

Not sure how the repo inserts are made up but to keep them fresh I say use Pledge to keep them protected. I was thinking about applying some Tung Oil or semi-gloss polyurethane before I install my new one on my new replacement dash bezel this winter. Any thoughts on this as I don't want to leave it as it came... unprotected, raw and untreated wood. My 1st GTO back in 1970 was all original inside and the wood insert had a semi glossy shine to it, and I always cleaned it up with Lemon Pledge to keep it looking good.

BTW.. I did buy the walnut insert without the backer as it's said by PY... "Excellent Quality. No need for the aluminum backing with these." Hopefully is works ok, or I'm gonna be pissed to no end.

It's PY Part # RPI614 on Page 40. Has anyone else used this one successfully... or not?

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 07-21-2014, 08:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I can see the aluminum backing showing through on my '66. I was thinking of making my own using the aluminum as a template, luan and then some 1/64" birch plywood left over from my R/C aircraft modeling days....IF I ever get around to doing anything with the car.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry Gary, I think you're gonna be pissed. At least that was my experience, twice. First time I thought I did it wrong so I tried again. Didn't turn out much better.