Old 07-12-2014, 06:45 PM

Default 1964 4 Speed Console Reproduction Project

I tried to find the old thread but couldn't find it. Within the last several months, there have been discussions about reproducing the 64 4 speed console. I believe that someone said that a donor console would be needed to help with the possibility of bringing this project to fruition, assuming the demand would be there and the economics would make sense.

With the help and generosity of a good friend who has asked to remain anonymous, I have an acceptable 64 4 speed console that we are willing to donate for the cause.

Old 07-14-2014, 11:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I was sort of leading this up. I was able to purchase a 4 speed console base for a mold.

I'm waiting for it to get here.

Here is the dynamics as I see it, and how it can be done. Firstly, I have some experience with an effort like this. I sent a gas door ornament to Peter Gee to reproduce. I just wanted to see it get done to go with the tail lights. My outlay was minimal. I send a door I had that was a 6/10. I explained what needed to be done, and the expectation of the final product. All I wanted was one replacement for the one I donated. I did tell them that I felt they would sell as many as the tail lights that they sold. I checked on the project every 2-3 months for what seemed like a year. Calls and emails. It was always "in process" I never heard from them again until the final product was released and I called up and asked what the hey? They sent me a new repo piece, and that was it. No discounts on future purchase etc. I even asked about volume discount, but they were not offering me much more that 10%. I'm 99% certain that the parts houses got a significant discount but probably had to buy 10 units and up, but don't know for sure.

On this piece, it seems like it would be easy, but its going to take the same effort as the '65-6 because I don't think they will destroy the mold to make a '64 mold since that would prevent further casting of '65-6 pieces if needed.

With that in mind, I would imagine that if they decided that the demand was there, they would do it. I don't know what the unit demand has to be for it to be profitable for them to consider it a go, no go. Obviously, they are in it to make a profit, and the rising Yuan makes it more expensive than 2-4 years ago.

I don't see these consoles being offered in the latest PY catalogue so maybe the price is too high? I do see them on the PG page but I have not called.

My thought was that I, or a consortium would commit to minimum run. I'm thinking a minimum run might be a 100 units polished and plated. Based on pased sales price, I'm estimating the cost per unit delivered a central address in the USA would be about $250-300/unit, with retail being about $400/unit.

A commitment of 100 units would then cost $25,000-$30,000. While I am able to make that commitment, I firmly believe it would take me 10 years to sell 100 units. Definitely not the best use of my money. Now if I had paid commitments for 20-40 units up front and the cost price of $250-$300 who were willing to wait for a year, with a hand shake guarantee, then it becomes more feasable. I'm sure that Ames and PY would buy 10 units or more if the product was ready for delivery, but those are smart businesses. Why risk $250-$300 over a year to make $100-$125 profit on something that you may or may not sell.
With all this said, I'm ready to give it a shot. All this is conjecture, because PG may say Hell no, or the unit numbers may be 300 or 500. Or they may just want to do it, and control inventory and price. Chinese are shrewd businessmen.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's probably too late for what i'm thinking .. but

If they had done a 64 Mold with integrated cup - they could remove (cut out) the cup after casting - before polishing/plating - to satisfy the 65-66 unit orders.

Maybe their current mold could be modified to work this way cheaper and quicker than starting from scratch.

Or a new player could incorporate this method in their product.
And offer both versions.

A Hood, or add-on metal hood scoops kit, for 1964 GTO - would open up more overall sales for 64 products, due to more cars getting done to higher level (GTO / GTO Clone).
imo

Someone mentioned something about all the repo 64 Die-Cast hood scoop inserts are gone ?
Is that true ?

Old 07-15-2014, 07:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This is hard to explain, but here goes-

I have also thought of the possiblity of having the cup molded along with a very thin fasica of metal. This fascia would run from the left edge of the console top to the rear edge,(roll around this edge) and would taper in thickness and end at the first rib. It would be in stamped steel or aluminum, so the cup would be metal, and might not have the factory thickness of diecast. The user could then incorporate this into the '65-66 console and "convert" it to a '64 console.
Does that sound like it can be done and not be aparrent?

On the '64 scoops, it is my understanding that Dennis Kirban was the one producing these and he sold the last of the pieces he has, but would consider selling the molds.