Old 06-01-2014, 04:42 PM

Default 64 console

Getting down to the last bits. Been working on the console refurb. First, I have a flat, curved spring about 3/4" wide and about 3" long with a hole in one end that is, I guess, to pop up the console door when you press the lock button. Where the hell does it mount?? I've tried every iteration of where it might go but to no avail. Second, I have the rear console light with the switch. I can run a feed to the switch but there is no provision for grounding. I thought it would be grounded by the courtesy light socket contacting the edge of the hole where it snaps in (ala the taillight sockets) but it doesn't touch it. Do I just run an additional wire to the white (ground) lead for the socket and attach the other end to the courtesy light bezel? Never did figure out the routing for the console box light wiring. Took a whizz wheel and cut a channel on the underside of the two piece top chrome and it works OK. Probably not factory. Thanks for your wisdom. Skip

Old 06-01-2014, 05:16 PM

Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM2792.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	365620

Just sets right on top so curve peak will push again the top of the lid once you push the button.

Old 06-01-2014, 06:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It will ground the same as your console box light does. Does that light work for you when you open the lid? The vac gage, if you have one, uses the white/gray neutral wire from your head light switch resistor for dimming the interior lights. I believe I even made a black grd wire and took it from the metal console bottom to a shifter boot screw to make sure I had a good ground. Both the box light and the rear light have 12V all the time just waiting to be grounded to come on. My rear light has no switch so the door jam switches or the headlight switch turn it on. Hope this helps. "Bill"!

You do have the console harness from under the dash with a 4 wire plug in, correct? Orange (12V), white (neutral), white/gray (resistor neutral) and black (ground).

Old 06-01-2014, 07:14 PM

fng (and I know what that means. I was an fng once). Thanks. I tried everything but that. Greenie, too.
Bill, As I see it, there is no ground going to the console courtesy light, except for the bulb socket, which does not ground the light casing. There is a switch on the light to turn it on with that switch and a tab for what I believe is steady hot. The whole rear console courtesy light has no ground, save the light socket, which does not contact the light casing. I'm an electrician. I'm going to wire it and test it before I put the console in and test it. If it melts, I'll go to plan two. Thanks. The info you gave ma about color code is invaluable. Thanks to both, Skip

Old 06-01-2014, 07:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Testing first is ALWAYS best for the console. Impossible after installed! "Bill"!

Old 06-01-2014, 10:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's been awhile since I wired my console switch, but I do remember I added a ground, straight to the floor, under the light, inside the console. I think the console light housing screws go into the rear bracket, which is attached to the rear die-cast door frame. The door frame die cast is attached to the large front die-cast. The front die-cast is attached to the floor mounting bracket. The floor mounting bracket is attached to floor. That crazy path is, I think, how they intended the rear light switch to ground. That's why I added one straight to the floor. My light works when the doors open and can be turned on manually.

'66 LeMans Hardtop, 400, FI, A/C, 4L80E.
'64 GTO Hardtop, "389", Tri-power, 5 speed, A/C, Yorktown Blue.
http://www.gtoaco.com
Old 06-01-2014, 11:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's a picture showing the harness routing. This was before I put the console in the car and couldn't get the light switch to work. Adding another ground to the floor fixed that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-05-20 (7) (Large).jpg
Views:	87
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	365680  

'66 LeMans Hardtop, 400, FI, A/C, 4L80E.
'64 GTO Hardtop, "389", Tri-power, 5 speed, A/C, Yorktown Blue.
http://www.gtoaco.com
Old 06-02-2014, 03:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The rear console light grounds to the plate that the two Phillips head screws into. This in turn grounds to the upper diecast part, which then grounds to the front bracket and finally to the tunnel of the floor. Seems odd, but it works.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:33 PM

Thanks, Guys. I've got it now. I just didn't think that the ground would be carried from the two screws that hold down the front of the console. I will also add that extra ground wire that Ron suggested. Problem solved. Skip

Old 06-03-2014, 02:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

When I was a lot younger, I got grounded easier then the console light.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

When I was a lot younger, I was dimmer than the console light.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:39 PM

When I was younger, I was lighter than the console light!

Old 06-04-2014, 01:17 PM

I thought the brother of the little guy that operates the frige light operated the console light.