Old 04-19-2014, 08:05 AM

Default Help with an opinion of value.

I recently found a guy considering selling his drop top 71 sport. It was a 350 but now has a 1970 400 block, 73 intake and unknown 6x heads. Original auto trans. He has owned this since 87. It was somewhat restored about 20 years ago. Both quarters were cut and replaced with skins from year one. The job looks ok but it showing its age now. A wing was also added, which I assume was NOS. It has the endura option. The top was replaced already and the front seats recovered. The rear upper filler panel was filled in smooth due to rust and now the trunk opening is slightly goofy because of bondo. The front pass fender was hit And repaired but is also goofy at the front edge. The passenger floor in a small area had a patch to pass inspection. The engine smokes slightly at start up. It has 14" honeycombs from new. The top switch needs replaced. The door panels will need replaced too. The car has ac and power windows. Overall it is nice for what it is and this guy drives it a lot. I asked him his idea of price and he threw out 10k, he said because of a drop top that's the value. His wife did come out and said it's not a firm price. I think she is the saving grace to get a better deal. I really had an idea of 4k. I want the opinion of other owners. I had a 71 Lemans Sport years ago but it was a show car and I can't compare the two. It is a running and driving car without too many issues there. Please give me your honest thoughts. Another guy told me possibly 7k.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	360920  

Old 04-19-2014, 08:08 AM

Picture 2
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	63
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	360921  

Old 04-19-2014, 08:12 AM

Picture 3. This is all I took of the car. Thanks for any advice you can give.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	61
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	360922  

Old 04-19-2014, 09:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks like a decent project but depends on how much money you would want to put into it. The T41 front end bumps the value up. NOM usually would hurt but the 400 replacement is a nice replacement but sounds like it may need work. The color combo hurts it a bit (looks like Aztec Gold/Sienna). People pay more for the reds and blue verts with white interiors.

As it sits, my guess is a T41 A/C vert like this would bring close to 10K on EBay. 7K is better with all the unknowns on the motor, and if you get it for 4K, you stole it.

Old 04-19-2014, 10:28 AM

I'm looking to sell my 74 Formula and get back into another LeMans. It would be a car id keep and not sell. I'm not keen on the color but based on the interior and top color I don't have many options. I'd probably keep it that color. Hard to say really at this point. I'm just trying to determine if I can swing it. Thanks for the advice.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripower View Post
As it sits, my guess is a T41 A/C vert like this would bring close to 10K on EBay. 7K is better with all the unknowns on the motor, and if you get it for 4K, you stole it.
I think these numbers are probably pretty close. I'd buy it sight unseen for $4k! I think you'd be doing alright to get it for $7-8k.

1979 Trans Am 400, 4-speed, 4 wheel disc.

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Ride along in the other lane-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzgpLtF_uw
Old 04-19-2014, 04:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If it were me I'd try and get it for $5.5k-6k but be prepared to give the guy his $7k asking price if he doesn't want to deal. It's really hard to go wrong with a convertible that isn't rotten and having a NOM 400 doesn't hurt the value too much in my opinion. The T41 front end and all of the other options really add to the value of the car.

Old 04-19-2014, 05:11 PM

He threw me 10k. I cAnt see it but them again my experience with a restored LeMans is over 10 years ago. It really depends on making a deal on my Bird to swing the LeMans. If I can't then I will help him move to car to someone else. Thanks again for the responses.

Old 04-19-2014, 07:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't know if you saw my post a few days ago on my orange 71 endura convertible, but that should also help. If a solid car needing no quarters can be bought for around $10K, then I would think I'd deduct at least $5K due to all of the previous rust repair. The value also has a lot to do with the quality of the front end sheet metal. Hoods vary from $500 - 1500+ depending on condition, and fenders are in the $300 - 500 again depending on condition.

Old 04-19-2014, 09:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

$10k starts to get into "if you really love it..." territory. If you plan on keeping it around and it's not in bad shape, might not be a bad deal. As poncho-mike also points out if the sheet metal is bad under the paint then deductions of price should start being factored.

Old 04-19-2014, 09:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The front end alignment of panels is pretty bad. What you've described and what I'm seeing in the pics is a typical street driven restoration that hasn't aged well. You suggested 4 grand which would have been accurate 7 years ago. Today, rolling shells without rust are five thousand and up, more if they are actual muscle cars and not base models. You may have to pay 7 grand for it. I'd be uncomfortable with the little I've seen but that isn't out of line. In the northern states, ten gs isn't unrealistic either for this model. The front ends of these cars are wild for rust. If its decent, just poorly aligned probably a bit of a deal.

Old 04-19-2014, 10:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lift the hood and look at the bottom side of the corners where they meet with the inner vertical edge of the headlight bucket. I've found that rusty hoods are usually fiberglassed over on the bottom. This picture below is what a solid hood looks like.

Old 04-20-2014, 12:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm also in the 7-8k camp.

Old 04-20-2014, 02:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A nice $20k car will be a better value. Once you own that one, the purchase price will pale in comparison to the cost of any work you do to it - and it looks like it needs some work.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Unless you've found a very rare car, you're far better of finding a car with a better shell even if you spend more money. A rusty car is bad enough, but a rusty car that somebody has half-a**ed the repairs on is worse. And stay away from any 71-72 with a bad hood or at least buy it cheap enough you can afford a replacement.

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmygoat View Post
A nice $20k car will be a better value. Once you own that one, the purchase price will pale in comparison to the cost of any work you do to it - and it looks like it needs some work.

Old 04-20-2014, 09:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i paid 3500 for a comparable car..last summer.and it was a lucy blue car...and really decent..i mean really decent

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 04-21-2014, 12:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmygoat View Post
Pretty good point. If you want a good deal on something, spend $20-$25k on a nice one that needs nothing or buy something solid that needs a complete restoration for less than $5k. If you buy this car for $8,000 car and throw $25,000 at it, you'll end up with something pretty close to the $20,000 car that you passed up...

My $.02.

Scott

Old 04-21-2014, 09:38 AM

Thanks for all the advice. I agree that its better to find one done. I looked it over pretty well and found the quarters were both replaced. The upper filler panel between the trunk and window was completely smooth and poorly done. I scanned underneath it and saw the area in question still have quite a bit of orange hiding inside. Typical rust in the quarters above the bumper that were cut out and repaired. The hood looked ok, but had some paint cracking. I would have to scan it again. I was given about half hour to view the car and I did the best I could. I've known of this car for the last 20 years and its been the same owner. He bought it in 87 and stated he paid 5k. It needed all the work then. He loves verts and feels they are rare. The front end needs alignment and has a support bracket missing. I'm leary as there are too many questions of what if in my mind. The engine is a 70 400, with 6x heads and 73 intake. It needs lots of cosmetic work in the interior to be nicer and even more outside and under the hood. I trust him and what he says but knowing his price and my idea of its value, I think we are too far off in price range. I have to talk to him yet and see where he stands. It may be the fact that I help him move the car to someone else. I've got a car that does need restored already but I know whats been done and what needs done and already sunk alot of money into mine. I truly just prefer the LeMans/GTO A body. I had a beautiful 71 LeMans Sport many years ago but it was sold through my parents divorce. I should of bought it back when I had the chance but too late now. It has a great owner and looks great. Thanks again, for the advice.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

So are you pulling the trigger on this one?

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:47 PM

I'm not sure yet. I'm still in the debating process. If I don't I will be sure to inform the Pontiac lovers to maybe make a deal.