Old 04-16-2014, 02:47 PM
Senior Chief

Default 1967 safeguard speedometer

I have a safeguard speedometer with low fuel light and the relay buzzer no longer works. Does anyone know where it's mounted on a 1967? I did a search and couldn't determine if I need to remove the dash pad to get at it. I'm assuming it's mounted directly to back of the speedometer? Also, does anyone know if you can adapt a Chevy or other GM relay to work with it? Since it's more of a novelty item, I don't want to pay big money for a rare nos unit.

Old 04-16-2014, 03:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

im not sure i have a safeguard speedo that i pulled out of a 67 lemans back in he 90s and have it in a box at my garage at my dads place,im not 100 percent sure since i havent seen it since i removed it

Old 04-16-2014, 04:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

its screwed to the pedal hangar left side...usually.

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 04-16-2014, 05:04 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxjunk View Post
its screwed to the pedal hangar left side...usually.
Mark

I don't see it there. I see the transmission kick down switch on the accelerator and the brake light switch, but no relays. Any other ideas?

Old 04-16-2014, 10:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

if not there, i have seen them screwed to the cowl right in the middle of the car stick your head under the dash look straight up...ive seen them there too..but almost always screwed to the pedal hanger....ive had a few..

the ones ive seen on the cowl where screwed right next to the relay for the power windows...right about in the same area as the ashtray or y-duct for the defrost..

its there...i think its like the first thing put in the car if on the cowl and they build the car around it..lol...

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 04-18-2014, 09:51 PM
Senior Chief

I think they screwed it to the top right side of the pedal assembly. No way to get to the screw without dropping the hanger or coming in from above so I guess it's there to stay. Must have done it top side before the dash pad was put in. Can't see the wire connector but I think it's there by feel. Bugger.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

the wire harness goes in first....everything is built on top...ive pulled the dash bezel and its right there.

The Goat whisperer

Old 02-05-2017, 02:34 PM
Senior Chief

Well I dropped my pedal assembly while I had the steering column out of the car. Found the safeguard speedometer relay screwed into the upper right section of the assembly. I will probably never use it but decided to replace it and make it functional again.