Old 03-14-2014, 08:15 PM

Default What is a "High country special"???

Hi looking for some info on this. I just picked up a very nice original paint survivor 74 firebird formula. It has an emblem on the deck lid.

What the heck is this? The car was sold new in CO. Is this a high altitude version???

Can't wait for responses.

John

Old 03-15-2014, 07:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's a little help....

Quote:
The Hi-Country Special is associated with cars equipped with option UPC WT5, Code 704. Pontiac called this the "Mountain Performance Option". Per Pontiac's records there were 257 F-bodies that received this option in 1971. From what I recall, this option consisted of a recalibrated carburetor that had different jets and air fuel mixture for driving in high altitude areas. The cars that I have come across thru the years with a Hi-Country Special badge were usually sold out of Colorado and Utah area Pontiac dealers. So it was probably a zone promotion. I have seen one car that had this badge but did not have the option listed on the PHS. The cars (full size, A-body and F-body) that I have seen usually have the badge is installed on the rear tail panel or rear trunk lid. This is the second time I have seen the badge installed on the front fender. Because of the inconsistencies of where the Hi Country Special badge was installed, I tend to believe the dealers installed them, but I am not for sure.

Don Keefe did some research on this several years ago. Hopefully, he can chime in and tell us a little more about this seldom seen option.
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=711049

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 03-15-2014, 11:11 AM

Awesome! Thanks. That is what I thought and it was sold out of Stroud Pontiac in CO.
I have the 2 page! original window sticker that was never installed due to factory delivery AND the order sheet with just about every box checked off except rear spoiler. Neither of those have any mention of the "high country special".
I am guessing that I need to have the carbs redone to normal setup.
I have some awesome factory lit that discusses the SD455 and it's specialness. And to not worry about audible piston slap!! etc., but no data on standard carb settings for a TH400 SD455.
Does anyone have that data I can share with my engine guy?

Thanks again!!

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post

Old 03-15-2014, 11:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyHorsepower View Post
Awesome! Thanks. That is what I thought and it was sold out of Stroud Pontiac in CO.
I have the 2 page! original window sticker that was never installed due to factory delivery AND the order sheet with just about every box checked off except rear spoiler. Neither of those have any mention of the "high country special".
I am guessing that I need to have the carbs redone to normal setup.
I have some awesome factory lit that discusses the SD455 and it's specialness. And to not worry about audible piston slap!! etc., but no data on standard carb settings for a TH400 SD455.
Does anyone have that data I can share with my engine guy?

Thanks again!!

John

Get the carb number of the Q-jet on the car. There are plenty of sources that list the main jets, primary rods, secondary rods and hangar number for your carb number. Compare those to the actual parts in your carb and go from there. If you are modifying the car, the stock settings may not even be appropriate anyhow. Otherwise, tune it on the dyno after the build (best option anyway) and then you will know it will be right on.

1978 Y88 Trans Am W72/auto
1979 10th Anniversary Trans Am
1984 Trans Am
1993 Trans Am
1999 30th Anniversary Trans Am
2001 10th anniversary Firehawk #104
2006 GTO
Old 03-15-2014, 11:29 AM

Thanks. I am definitely going stock and definitely will be dyno tuned! (even though I have the correct tires, I will leave the BFGs on for my pleasure!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3tas4me View Post
Get the carb number of the Q-jet on the car. There are plenty of sources that list the main jets, primary rods, secondary rods and hangar number for your carb number. Compare those to the actual parts in your carb and go from there. If you are modifying the car, the stock settings may not even be appropriate anyhow. Otherwise, tune it on the dyno after the build (best option anyway) and then you will know it will be right on.

Old 03-15-2014, 02:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice find, GREAT car even with the rubber roof . Thats a rare one for sure, more pics when you can would be nice.

Old 03-15-2014, 04:13 PM
Senior Chief

Default sd

wow congrats.At least someone from here picked it up.Saw it on ebay and carsonline.Well worth the asking price,excellent survivor, enjoy it.
Domenic

Old 03-15-2014, 04:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's a little bit of factory SD Auto Carb info for you:

Primary Jets 75
Primary Rods 49
Secondary Rods BV

Congrat's on the purchase!

Old 03-15-2014, 05:45 PM

Wink

Thanks for the nice words and thanks for the carb info!! (I was struggling to find out even where to go after I pulled the #.)
And yes, I am digging the car, more so now that I got the paperwork. I am usually not an automatic guy or, on these cars, a vinyl(cordova) top guy. I have a white vinyl top on my 4sp orange hemicuda, and that works pretty well.
Anyway, here is what I find to be special about the car, besides it's killer survivor condition.
1. Who would order a loaded (2 pages) firebird that with color combo (which is stunning in person), and no spoiler, yet the SD455. Kind of a gentlemen's sports car. $3500 base for a formula and this car was $6500!!
Answer: A banker in Co., who had enough dough to take factory delivery of what is the first 74 SD455 Formula built. Backed up by a GM communications telegram that notified the buyer that his car was ready for pick up. Complete with notes scribbled on it for hotels and cab pricing. And how about a map of PMD's location with instructions on the back for a retail purchaser taking factory delivery!! This pillar of his community probably just wasn't into big birds and spoilers, so he got his power and his options in a Formula instead. Oh, and I have the order sheet filled with Xs for all the options he ordered.
2. An AMAZING personally signed letter from J.T. Wilson, director of Pontiac's car distribution, responding to a letter the buyer wrote, and telling the banker that his order was "released to our Norwood plant" and that the cause for the delay was waiting for the EPA to approve the SD455! It also noted that "Pontiac has forwarded ten engines via truck to Norwood Assembly Plant, and this is our current total supply due to lack of connecting rods." The whole letter is amazing, but I hesitate to post it for fear of some scumbag making a fake one for his car......
Anyway it is a cool car and I am looking forward to exercising it. Especially with the A/C mandated 3:08 gear set on the highway. (I have a 4:10 and a 3:90 car)
When the weather breaks, I will shoot some nice pictures. In the meantime, enjoy these..

John

Old 03-15-2014, 05:54 PM
Senior Chief

love it, nice score!

67 Firebird Convertible - SOLD
80 Firebird Formula Turbo
Old 03-15-2014, 06:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's a beauty. It reminds me of a car Jim Rockford might have ordered if he were in the market for an SD. If you click on my SD73 username and then the About Me tab there's a link to a website about my car and a lot of factory letters I got with it if you're interested in that sort of thing.

Old 03-15-2014, 06:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

THAT is a peach of a car! Wow.

The Silver Buick- '77 Skylark coupe w/455, SPX, MegaSquirt 3 & TKO-600 (Drag Week 2011, 2012 & 2015!)

1969 Firebird with a turbo'd Pontiac L6 controlled by a MegaSquirt 3 and backed with a microsquirt controlled 4L60e and 4.56 gears! (Drag Week 2018!)
Old 03-15-2014, 07:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The altitude performance option, WT5, would not have been available on an SD.
I wonder how long they did the Hi-Country Special promo...

Old 03-15-2014, 07:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Killer car! Hard loaded for sure!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 03-15-2014, 09:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Great score! I've been watching this car on the net, glad a fellow py'r got it

Old 03-16-2014, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD73 View Post
It's a beauty. It reminds me of a car Jim Rockford might have ordered if he were in the market for an SD. If you click on my SD73 username and then the About Me tab there's a link to a website about my car and a lot of factory letters I got with it if you're interested in that sort of thing.
Loved that whole page and of course your car!! The letters you have, are very similar to my own. It makes you want to read the letters that were sent! What a major pursuit of that engine by the original owner!!
Thank you.

Old 03-16-2014, 01:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah. I really wish I could have seen the other half of those letters too. I did correspond with the original owner and I can tell they would have been on the eccentric side of letter writing.

I'd really love to see the letters you have some time. I'll keep my fingers crossed you'll post them when you get some time.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

congrats on the purchase. I really couldn't believe someone didn't snag that up when it first appeared for sale. I personally like the color combo and I don't think the condition can be matched.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks like a fun car! Can't wait to see it this summer running around IL....

Old 03-20-2014, 06:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

AMAZING interior.........had a 74 T/A loaded and had the same "double deluxe" interior in black....VERY uncommon to find one in nice condition....especially in saddle...

Don't even THINK about a rear spoiler.......

Eye Candy......garage band?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUPcHxHRx3s

Go full screen & turn it UP!