Old 03-11-2014, 03:01 PM

Default Correct Spoiler and flare "welting"

Is their a source for the early welting for the flares and chin spoiler. As I recall just the later 1979 stuff was offered.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:36 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

It's been a while since I purchased welting but, at the time, Ames had the correct welting. Year One's welting did not fit correctly, perhaps it was the later type.

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice" RUSH (Freewill)
Old 03-14-2014, 10:39 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Also, before painting your flares, carefully soften and mold the flare edge with a heat gun to conform better to the fender, valance etc. You'll be glad you did.

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice" RUSH (Freewill)
Old 12-01-2014, 05:27 PM

Still Looking for the "correct" type welting for the early (pre -79 ) cars. All I see is the wider "79 style. Any leads??

Old 12-01-2014, 06:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No none makes the original welting out of the original material. It is now made of a nylon based crap that does not have any compressibility to it and won't conform to the body curves on a Trans Am.

The original welting was a soft, latex-based material and was manufactured in body colors: white, red, green, and blue. Modern refrigerators use the correct material for their door seals. Too bad we can't get anyone to make the welting out of that stuff. If you find an NOS front spoiler or NOS fender flares, sometimes you will see the later grey latex material as well.

It's the same situation we had with the 70-72 stripe kits. All the repro sellers say is: "we've never had anyone complain about it before...."

Old 12-01-2014, 07:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I dont know about the material, but the Ames stuff is the correct profile, not sure about PY but I would be surprised if they had a different supplier.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It is the correct shape, if only they'd make it out of the correct material. Same problem as with the repro Formula steering wheels.