Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 03-11-2014, 05:45 AM
Suspended

Default Wenzler 1 tunnel height versus Gutsram

Does anyone know if the Gutsram carb height is lower than the wenzler 1. I have a Wenzler 1 with Edelbrock adapters to change the carburetors from sideways mount to a front-ways mounting orientation. The adapters are a reasonable thickness of only .550" and I'm unable to find a low enough air-cleaner solution on the front carb that will fit under a Tony Ortz/VFN 6" cowl hood. If the Gutsram is lower, that will probably expedite my plan to upgrade to the improved design of the Gutsram..but will be nice to try both just for performance comparison. I'm running Holley 660s
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	carbclearance (Medium).jpg
Views:	120
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	356266  

Old 03-11-2014, 07:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If it is lower by a change of runner lenght, your current rpm of peak TQ and HP will go up by 300 rpm minimum and since you are running iron home ported heads with 462 cid under them I would say that it would be a bad move to go over to a shorter runner manifold if the turns out to be the case.
In fact seeing as you are running home ported heads that are likly to not flow more than 260 Intake CFM@28" your car would run better with a ported Torker II, or a stock Victor manifold, yea I know, don`t tell me it just does not have the looks of two 4bbls!

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 03-11-2014, 03:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I believe the Gutsram is a tad lower at the manifold top....not sure if difference in height of top plate ???
My top plate had been milled so don't know stock height..
Just shoot Larry W. a email....

ECM member.
2008 Outlaw Pontiac Drag Series Champion
MANDRA
Do it now fool! Life is short.

69 Grand Prix/3163lbs / IAII 535 w/ Tiger heads by Gaydosh....9.35@ 144 so far.. through mufflers. 1.26 60'.
Going back to track with pump gas engine....
My 60 Ventura retired to street/strip duty..
Old 03-11-2014, 09:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tempest455 ran a Gutsram with a custom top plate(pretty flat and a bit thinner than stock) and the carbs(AFB's) cleared his stock 64 tempest hood. Thats a lot less room than you have. Do some searchin' might be pics... Car was in HPP or PE quite some time ago... He doesnt post much anymore but was fairly active 6-8 years ago... maybe more. I've seen the car in person and you'd never suspect there was a tunnel ram under the hood. (I live about 45 min drive from him.) Sweet car.

Anyway AFB's are the same approximate airhorn height so Holleys wont be any taller.

Old 03-12-2014, 03:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bruce...Pretty sure Tempests455 intake was the "Original" Wenzler..TR....not a Gutsram because I got idea from him to use a flat plate on my old Wenzler..
I ran carbs(AFB's) offset to DS to avoid using spacers for linkage clearance as he did...

ECM member.
2008 Outlaw Pontiac Drag Series Champion
MANDRA
Do it now fool! Life is short.

69 Grand Prix/3163lbs / IAII 535 w/ Tiger heads by Gaydosh....9.35@ 144 so far.. through mufflers. 1.26 60'.
Going back to track with pump gas engine....
My 60 Ventura retired to street/strip duty..
Old 03-12-2014, 03:50 PM

Question wenzler top

this the pic?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wenzler.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	356455  

Old 03-12-2014, 06:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Troy, you are probably correct... I get them confused!

Curly... thats the setup! The car color on the fender confirms it.

Should solve the OP's hood clearance issue I would think.

Old 03-19-2014, 10:04 PM
Suspended

Thanks everyone. The flat top would solve the problem. I actually made one that I never totally finished. I made it about 8 years ago after probably getting the idea from seeing the engine from the Tempest you guys have posted pics of. My original motivation for making the flat top was strictly for converting the carbs to inline mounting for linkage simplification as the carb adapters Edelbrock now makes werent available. That was before I bought my cowl hood. I never would have thought clearance would be an issue with a 6" cowl hood. Anyways, I am thinking I like the top that came with the manifold as you can have a nice directional radius coming off of the carb mounting and I think that may possibly have a performance advantage but I dont really know. I still havent found out the height difference between the Gutsram and the wenzler 1, but I'm going to play around with the Wenzler 1 to see how it runs before trying a Gutsram regardless of the height differences. To me a manifold is kind of a fun and easy thing to play around with as far as swapping and modifications goes. This last weekend I started out to do a port matching on the Wenzler 1 and found the port match to be very nice, only needing some very minor grinding. I decided to go ahead and port the entire lenght of runners. when I started to work the openings into the plenum things got out of hand as I wanted to put a radius on the openings and taper that into the runner as much as possible; trying to acheive a runner that is bigger at the plenum and tapering down to the head opening, more like the Gutsram ports are, but of course not nearly to that degree. Long story a little shorter...the manifold is now in the welding shop getting some fat fillet welds where the runners meet plenum...