Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 03-02-2014, 05:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default SPLATTER PAINT TRUNK WHAT SPRAY GUN

hi , i am going to spray my 67 gto trunk with the splatter paint i bought from the parts place, its the original formula not a spray can mixture....i am having trouble getting the splatter to work thru the new gun i bought, i bought a siphon suction style gun with a 2.5 mm nozzel or about 1/8 inch....but there is no splatter dots on the test pattern, i have read later that i need a pressure pot style gun....then read that the schutz gun is the way to go....more reading i read that the pressure fed hvlp gun is best....im confused, has anyone successfully sprayed this paint i could use some info on how to do it....thanks

Old 03-02-2014, 06:09 PM

Default Splatter Paint

I used that paint- it wouldn't spray until I realized I left the plastic filter in the gun. One thing is make sure your trunk is uniform in a dark color because the spray gun paint shows thru to the base. I used a cheepo gravity gun with a big nozzle and about 40-50 lbs of air, it sprayed great. Should of bought more paint as I wasted a lot trying to get the gun to spray and the pattern right. Sprayed the trunk satin black first - I tend to learn as I go !

Old 03-02-2014, 07:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

i have that filter off you mentioned so thats not the issue.... the painter said the tube that sucks up the paint is probably not sucking up the paint balls, this gun has the paint can on the bottom of the handle its seems to be just sucking the black base coat, but no splattter balls, its a 2.5 mm nozzel and its a strong compressor so thats his guess...so he is going to try a pressure pot gun , i just finished doing a flat black primer coat all over, especially around taillights and lock area where paint has to get in behind metal braces ect...i have to quarts of this paint so i think thats heaps....i'm tempted to buy another gun and try painting myself but my first ever time with a spray gun was today with the primer , so im a bit nervous to try and spray the splatter....and still not sure on what gun but will let him know what you used....thanks

Old 03-02-2014, 10:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

i am thinking about buying a schutz gun and spraying the splatter myself, has anyone had experience with the schutz gun and splatter paint...

Old 03-02-2014, 11:15 PM

Default Spray gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiesta62 View Post
i have that filter off you mentioned so thats not the issue.... the painter said the tube that sucks up the paint is probably not sucking up the paint balls, this gun has the paint can on the bottom of the handle its seems to be just sucking the black base coat, but no splattter balls, its a 2.5 mm nozzel and its a strong compressor so thats his guess...so he is going to try a pressure pot gun , i just finished doing a flat black primer coat all over, especially around taillights and lock area where paint has to get in behind metal braces ect...i have to quarts of this paint so i think thats heaps....i'm tempted to buy another gun and try painting myself but my first ever time with a spray gun was today with the primer , so im a bit nervous to try and spray the splatter....and still not sure on what gun but will let him know what you used....thanks
I used a cheap gravity feed gun and it sprayed great. A wholesale house here had a set of three for like $150. primer gun- finish gun and a touch-up gun ( thru it out when I was done )- I picked the largest nozzle size and it went on great- the splatter is too heavy for a suction gun to pick up. Don't spend alot on a gun you'll only use once. Good luck !

Old 03-02-2014, 11:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

i guess i could get a gravity feed gun but reading and talking around it seems a lot of guys say use a schutz gun the local shop here in oz has one for $50 i might get it and spray a bit on a test board to see how it goes....i'm just worried about how thick this paint is and the possibility of runs i might get....but i guess a test will tell me if i should continue... i just dont want to waste too much paint testing !

Old 03-03-2014, 12:20 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hi Fiesta,
I sprayed the trunk spatter paint with an extremely cheapo gravity spray gun. It was from Harbor Freight, and it was about 10 dollars. I drilled the tip out with a drill bit to get the proper size, about 2.2mm, for spraying the thick spatter paint.

These Harbor Freight guns are not even HVLP, more like LVLP guns. But it worked fantastic for spraying my trunk.

Not sure you have Harbor Freight type places in your neck of the woods, but maybe you have an equivalent...

Good luck,

Dave

Old 03-03-2014, 12:33 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

yeah we have a paint supplies shop with all the guns, i am leaning as said to trying a schutz gun but i am going to ask the guy there about a gravity feed to see what he has, i guess i will go for a 2.5 mm nozzel....

Old 03-03-2014, 08:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Does your PP trunk paint look lumpy like the attached pic?

In 2009 when I first opened the jar to do my trunk it was too lumpy to spray, even after a whole lot of mixing. I called the PP up the next day and they told me to just keep on mixing it. When I got home that evening and opened the jar back up all the lumps had magically disappeared and the mixture was perfectly smooth, without any more mixing at all. I have no idea what happened to the stuff overnight- it just fixed itself. I bought a second jar of the PP paint a few years later and it was smooth from the start.

A cheap HF conventional suction gun with a big tip works fine for me.

If the paint is very lumpy like in the pic then you need to resolve that before trying to spray it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4367 (2).JPG
Views:	49
Size:	170.4 KB
ID:	355331  

"The best way to show a car is to drive it"
Old 03-03-2014, 04:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

yes my paint looks exactly like your pic its lumpy....but I have read that all the splatter balls are little sacks of paint that burst on impact , I have read that paint should not be shaken or stirred hard, the point is we don't want to break the sacks of paint, if we did break the paint balls then they would just mix in with the base black, like a tint and not splatter when sprayed, another reason they say use a large nozzle so the paint balls can escape the gun without being broken, so knowing all this it seems odd that you say it needs to be smooth and you did a whole lot of mixing, this goes against everything i have read, if it was really smooth then I would think the paint balls have been broken down, as for suction gun I assume you mean siphon gun which sucks up the paint from the can, I have that gun and it wont work, paint guy said it wont suck up the paint balls so I need a schutz gun or a hvlp gravity feed gun....but still looking into this....did you actually use your paint after mixing it a whole lot to the point it was smooth? did it get all those splatter dots in the finish?....thanks

Old 03-04-2014, 12:22 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

well i bought a gravity feed gun with 2.5mm nozzel....tried again but i got virtually no paint out of gun, i tried various settings but no luck, when i tipped paint out of the gun and took off the paint holder can from gun i could see the hole that paint goes thru on gun was all chocked up with paint, this hole is like half inch round on the gun but i think thats the problem area, the paint just dams up at the base of the paint can on the gun, so as pontguy said maybe its too lumpy, but i worry about mixing too much to the point all the colour flecks are gone, i'm in oz and it cost $130 to get just 1 quart shipped to me so i worry about messing up the paint by stirring too much, did you guys have to stir it heaps to get it real smooth or did you manage to paint it while its still lumpy....

Old 03-04-2014, 06:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Throw a couple ball bearings or marbles in the gun then you can keep the paint agitated somewhat while spraying by swirling the gun around with your wrist.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The mixture should have gobs of the color dispersed in the black but it should be smooth, not lumpy like in the pic. Maybe someone here can post a picture of what it looks like when it works properly? I wish I had one to show you, but never thought to take another picture once my problem was resolved. Yes I used a regular siphon gun with a big nozzle (don't remember the size). There was no hope of shooting it when it was lumpy but absolutely no problem when it smoothed out.

Like I said my bad jar "fixed" itself overnight. May have something to do with temperature, or humidity, or something like that? The first pic shows the results (2009). I replaced one of the quarters a couple years later (2011) and re-sprayed with another jar. This one was smooth and needed almost no stirring. The second pic shows results for this jar. The color looks a bit different in the photo due to lighting but there was very little real difference. The trunk still looks great today, three years later.

As a last resort the PP told me to try adding just a little bit of water to the lumpy jar, mix it in and let it sit for a while. You might try that if nothing else works.

But the first step is to get the PP on the phone. I am sure they heard of this problem before. Its been a few years but they definitely did from me!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4373.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	213.1 KB
ID:	355471   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7931.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	355472  

Old 03-04-2014, 07:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatman65 View Post
Throw a couple ball bearings or marbles in the gun then you can keep the paint agitated somewhat while spraying by swirling the gun around with your wrist.
Might be worth a try but based on my experience I don't think this will work. If it is like my jar was the lumps are "hard" and immediately clog the tip.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:49 AM

Default Spray Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiesta62 View Post
well i bought a gravity feed gun with 2.5mm nozzel....tried again but i got virtually no paint out of gun, i tried various settings but no luck, when i tipped paint out of the gun and took off the paint holder can from gun i could see the hole that paint goes thru on gun was all chocked up with paint, this hole is like half inch round on the gun but i think thats the problem area, the paint just dams up at the base of the paint can on the gun, so as pontguy said maybe its too lumpy, but i worry about mixing too much to the point all the colour flecks are gone, i'm in oz and it cost $130 to get just 1 quart shipped to me so i worry about messing up the paint by stirring too much, did you guys have to stir it heaps to get it real smooth or did you manage to paint it while its still lumpy....
Is the plastic strainer out of the gun ? look at the parts breakdown and remove strainer- I feel your pain- been there !-- mine did the same thing until I found the strainer, like Pontguy said-- it is water thinable also. I mixed mine quite a bit gently by hand-- they say don't shake or power mix.

Old 03-04-2014, 03:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

i took the filter out of gun...it must be these lumpy bits clogging it as pont guy said...i have no choice but to keep stirring and hope it thins out...no reply from PP after 3 emails...i will phone them this morning, and painting today with another gun....a pressure pot style gun....fingers crossed

Old 03-04-2014, 07:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

i finally phoned PP as they dont return emails, very slack, i spoke to the guy and sent him pic of paint that pontguy sent me, my paint looks the same....well PP sent me email they say...."it looks like it froze in transit" thats all they said nothing more , bollocks not happy, using this excuse because i'm in australia, this is pontguys paint picture its all been in the usa, so PP were totally useless with there backup advice...thats all they said, froze in transit, you would think after now 5 emails and 1 phone call, and me buying 2 different spray guns and no luck that PP might give me a bit more advice or feedback....wont be buying of them ever again

Old 03-04-2014, 10:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Fiesta:
Sorry I just now saw your posting about spraying spatter paint. I think you are right on target using the schutz gun. I got a 3M gun and have use it quite a bit on heavy bodied material like you're wanting to shoot. Used it with rocker schutz (chip guard) and 3M undercoat and it does a nice job with those.

One tip.....if you use the schutz gun hold it back a ways from the surface to get an even effect and it may need a couple coats. Heavy bodied coatings just don't work that great with either gravity or siphon guns IMO.

Jerry

Old 03-06-2014, 11:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm not very surprised by the PP response- I've done a good bit of business with them but would not rate their customer service to be very good. Funny- they've seen that exact picture before, though its been several years now. Did they remember it?

You have two options. 1) Try adding a little water, mix it in and allow to sit for a while. I think the idea is to thin out the "lumps" since the colored part of the mix is water-based. That's the advice that they gave me but I didn't have to follow it since my jar magically fixed itself. 2) or try a shutz gun.

Agree that to get a good effect you have to hold the gun way back.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

hi pontguy....they didnt remember pic, i never mentioned your name although they asked whos pic it was...as said mine looked exactly same, all they keep saying is the paint froze, and were very short with me basically said tough luck !... paint freeze really is that possible, i cant believe your paint froze and mine, if this is the reason then maybe they could warn buyers, anyway i dont believe it froze and even if it did i figure it would thaw out, so we tried the pressure pot gun but no luck it jammed up, so 3 paint guns all failed, last resort i bought the schutz gun and yes it worked paint is on, and it does look good, very good, pretty thick coating, i used a lot 1.5 quarts total , but i did all trunk area including under parcel tray, i do have a slight concern about how rough the texture is, i know splatter paint is not real smooth but mine is possibly more rough than i expected, though it does look even and real neat, its still drying but when i think its dry i will post a few pics to see what you guys think, there are no cars here i can see to compare