Old 02-17-2014, 01:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 4 Speed Part ID........ Reverse Lights? KIck Down?

I had this with my 4 speed parts and I'm not sure but I think it has something to do with the reverse lights or? Where does it go? I can't find it in any of the catalogs I have. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1355.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	353400   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1356.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	353401   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1357.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	353402   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1358.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	353403  

Old 02-17-2014, 02:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The part you are showing is a manual transmission clutch (neutral) safety switch. It mounts up under the dash off the stamped steel bracket that holds the clutch & brake pedal. Without taking apart a few pieces on my cars, cant tell which style it is. The safety switch Was designed so you have to start the car with the clutch pedal depressed.

Reverse lights will be activated by the backdrive linkage that connects the lower "leg" on the steering column & the reverse lever on your manual transmission. Often factory back drive linkage is missing on '69+ A-bodys & '69-81 Birds, esp on cars that have had headers installed at one time, or have had engine & trans swaps.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
The part you are showing is a manual transmission clutch (neutral) safety switch. It mounts up under the dash off the stamped steel bracket that holds the clutch & brake pedal. Without taking apart a few pieces on my cars, cant tell which style it is. The safety switch Was designed so you have to start the car with the clutch pedal depressed.

Reverse lights will be activated by the backdrive linkage that connects the lower "leg" on the steering column & the reverse lever on your manual transmission. Often factory back drive linkage is missing on '69+ A-bodys & '69-81 Birds, esp on cars that have had headers installed at one time, or have had engine & trans swaps.
Thanks for the info. Is the Camaro and Firebird part the same?

I do not have the reverse linkage as my car was converted over from AT. I guess that is the next thing I need to start searching for. I have read the Camaro and Firebird rods are different which doesn't make sense as the cars are basically the same.

Old 02-17-2014, 11:26 PM
Suspended

Knowing that this is not for the 73 A body as mine is different then that one shown.