Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:32 PM

Default Good Lawyer in Illinois for Title help?

In Illinois, the secretary of state (no surprise) is worthless and beauracratic. I've had a car needing resto for a few years now. Long story how I obtained the car, but my current understanding is it was initially found after a property foreclosure (apparently owner passed away with no heirs, so house was bought out along with the contents at a sherrif's sale).

There is no title. Tried going through all the usual methods of obtaining title (bill of sale, affidavits, publishing claim in newspaper, even tried salvage title, etc. etc.). No luck and questions to the Secretary of State on what else to do have gone unanswered. The car itself is worthless other than if restored, it could have value by being a matching #'s car as well as saving it for posterity/historical sake.

Anyone know a good attorney in Illinois that could help obtaining a clear title in this state without charging an arm and leg?

Thanks.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Check out
http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/de...tion/pert.html

Most of the forms are online. You will have to bring your filled-out forms and supporting paperwork to an IL Secretary of State office in person. Plan on a second trip for the missing items.

I hear some Chicago offices are worthless (Elston Ave.) because they are burned out from dealing with immigrants, thieves, and scam artists. You may want to go to a suburban office.

Old 02-02-2014, 08:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Would be easier going the bill of sale direction , from a no title state purchase . Then you would have a title , still expect BS . Georgia , Conn. etc. are no title states for cars older than 20 years , that is where you bought it from hint , hint .

Old 02-04-2014, 09:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

ck67goat: you have a PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to paint guy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2014, 10:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisp View Post
Would be easier going the bill of sale direction , from a no title state purchase . Then you would have a title , still expect BS . Georgia , Conn. etc. are no title states for cars older than 20 years , that is where you bought it from hint , hint .
This is true, and the easy way...

Old 02-04-2014, 11:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=746704

Old 02-05-2014, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiedlerh View Post
Check out
http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/de...tion/pert.html

Most of the forms are online. You will have to bring your filled-out forms and supporting paperwork to an IL Secretary of State office in person. Plan on a second trip for the missing items.

I hear some Chicago offices are worthless (Elston Ave.) because they are burned out from dealing with immigrants, thieves, and scam artists. You may want to go to a suburban office.
All the paperwork went directly to Springfield - its a main office issue...

Old 02-05-2014, 06:09 PM

Good idea, but the car I need the title for does not run, is in pieces awaiting resto, so no way it will make it to Vermont.

Old 02-05-2014, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
This is true, and the easy way...
Don't most those states only title to residents of the state? Is there a vehicle inspection, because this one in its current state would technically be salvage only (awaiting a full resto).

Old 02-06-2014, 12:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I once had to deal with Springfield on a registration issue for a vehicle leased out-of-state. That caused head scratching at the local offices. I happened to run into Jim Edgar (he was Sec'y of State then) at a neighborhood festival and he told me what department to call in Springfield. They were actually friendly and helpful and I didn't even drop Edgar's name. If they told you it's a Springfield issue, I hope you find the right department and get a helpful person.

Old 09-27-2015, 05:22 PM

I don't mean to bring up an old thread, but just wanted to post the results. I hired Paint Guy's attorney who wound up doing a great job. He stuck with the case, not only after he had to move out of state but also after he realized how much more a hassle it will be with the Illinois court system. In the end, we won and the attorney even walked over with me to the DMV. The end result is I have a clean title. Thank you very much to Paint Guy!!

Coming soon will be a very, very long restoration project and one less rare Pontiac that needlessly would have ended up in the scrap yard.

Old 09-28-2015, 07:12 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Great news!