THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default American Car Prospector

Anyone ever watch this show? What do you think of it. I'm curious as to whether I'm the only one that has a specific problem with the show's format.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:46 PM

It's very hokey. I tried watching a few episodes. The "prospector" gets on my nerves, I would not sell to him.

Old 01-14-2014, 02:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's a scripted show, just like every other 'reality' show. I watched a couple episodes, that was enough.

Old 01-14-2014, 02:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Its flat out stupid. He would be shown the door if he showed up around here.

I hate how he talks in the 3rd person sometimes.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 01-14-2014, 02:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

'long shot' scenarios at best. Dude's a bore

Old 01-14-2014, 03:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The guy doesn't seem very knowledgeable about cars, has interest in and makes a big deal about things like a "real Grande" and or a lincoln conv. that they made a billion of. When I watch it I just think ,I wish he would stop over my house. I might sell him something. All these reality shows are putting unrealistic expectations in peoples heads about things.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1beautifuldaughter For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2014, 03:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll stop & watch just about anything automotive. My wife doesn't care for any of them.

I've stopped to watch American Car Prospector a few times. Last night, I stopped in it and my wife announced that this show is the worst, the guy is just creepy/annoying. I agreed. Tough to watch and the cars he seems to go gaga over are not very special so it just isn't very interesting.

Chasing Classic Cars is similar in concept. Except the cars Wayne Carini finds are actually interesting and although he sometimes seems a little too full of himself for my taste, he comes across as knowledgeable about very special cars.

The ACP doesn't seem to know much about the most pedestrian of cars.

Old 01-14-2014, 04:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like Pawn Stars out of Las Vegas. They're a bunch of cheapskates too.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V. View Post
I'll stop & watch just about anything automotive. My wife doesn't care for any of them.

I've stopped to watch American Car Prospector a few times. Last night, I stopped in it and my wife announced that this show is the worst, the guy is just creepy/annoying. I agreed. Tough to watch and the cars he seems to go gaga over are not very special so it just isn't very interesting.

Chasing Classic Cars is similar in concept. Except the cars Wayne Carini finds are actually interesting and although he sometimes seems a little too full of himself for my taste, he comes across as knowledgeable about very special cars.

The ACP doesn't seem to know much about the most pedestrian of cars.
I agree on all counts.
One note about the "hokeyness" of ACP- one show I saw, he was driving up to an "abandoned" garage in the middle of nowhere to look at a car that "had been sitting forever" and he worried that it wouldn't start. What struck me though was the fresh tire tracks in the snow out side the garage that went right in to where the car sat.

1979 Trans Am 400, 4-speed, 4 wheel disc.

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Ride along in the other lane-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzgpLtF_uw
Old 01-14-2014, 05:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There all suck IMO...They must be created/scripted by Geeks/Nerds rather than Gear Heads..A few are OK..The same disease that has taken over the auto industry..
Something for air time no matter what.
Now all I see are Lucas Drag Boats and other such stuff. MAVTV has assorted junk on it too..Better than nothing but could and should be much better programing.
Would love to see some formats with the Grass Roots racers..at least once in a while.
All this Top Fuel & Funny Car stuff is out of reach of most of us anyway..throw in some TS/NSS.ProMods,....and more down to earth racing...I'll watch it. I hardly watch the NHRA stuff anymore...Boring !!

ECM member.
2008 Outlaw Pontiac Drag Series Champion
MANDRA
Do it now fool! Life is short.

69 Grand Prix/3163lbs / IAII 535 w/ Tiger heads by Gaydosh....9.35@ 144 so far.. through mufflers. 1.26 60'.
Going back to track with pump gas engine....
My 60 Ventura retired to street/strip duty..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 60man For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2014, 06:10 PM
Suspended

I agree, I use to watch TV on sat. & sun for the power block TV on spike but now thats gone for a bunch of football & other sports so now I have to look all over the channels to find a car show every once in a while. Horsepower is now on ccsbn?? I think & it's a different name along with what use to be trucks. All the shows we use to watch are now spread all over the channels & it's very hard to find anything worth watching. The ACP is a bunch of garbage, no one will let just anyone come in & make an offer fro your car flat out like that. Also how hard is it to see the camera behind him when he walks up to someone or you. He make me real uncomfortable with his jerking around & the way he is always shrugging his shoulders like he's about to explode. And that stupid cowboy hat. Maybe that works in CO. But here he'd be shown the door. Plus I don't think he ever goes outside of CO. The cars he finds to are just plain old drivers, the closest good car I've seen was the corvette he bought. But he does go a bit over the top on cars that are just every day drivers. I wouldn't have paid anywhere near what he did for the Grande' mustang, it wasn't a car that is/was preferred at all. It definitely wasn't worth what he paid for it. To much staging & no were near rel life when it comes to buying a car. He needs to go to some cruise nights & try that approach to buy some cars & he will see what real rejection is. He's kinda creepy.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatless View Post
I agree on all counts.
One note about the "hokeyness" of ACP- one show I saw, he was driving up to an "abandoned" garage in the middle of nowhere to look at a car that "had been sitting forever" and he worried that it wouldn't start. What struck me though was the fresh tire tracks in the snow out side the garage that went right in to where the car sat.
I was flipping channels last night and saw that. I kept watching thinking that someone would be confronting him with a shotgun pretty soon. (I sure would if someone opened my garage at night and popped the hood.)

All these shows are obviously written by non-car guys. For example, here's a recent exchange on Count's Customs:

Customer: "I'm looking to get a hot rod built - something that's really unique; that not a lot of people have."
Actor: "How about this '67 GTO?"
C: "That's too big - I'd really like something similar to my old '64 Impala." (and the GTO's too big?)

So... the "original" car they build for him was a.... '71 Nova with Yenko stickers on it. Hmmm....

Old 01-14-2014, 06:37 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
It's a scripted show, just like every other 'reality' show. I watched a couple episodes, that was enough.
Agree. In fact I agree with just about everything that has been posted in this thread.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:40 PM
Suspended

Now thats funny, I would have doubled over if I'd heard that. To big.... HA HA !!!!! Makes me wonder if people actually listen to themselves when they speak. Or are they really that stupid.??

Old 01-14-2014, 07:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok, you guys have about the same reaction to it as I have. I can take the scripting. What I want to see is some decent work on the cars and some interesting cars.
My main complaint about ACP is that, I might find it interesting to watch a show about old cars being found in barns and etc....What I don't want to watch is a show about a guy who finds old cars in barns and etc.
THEY NEVER SHOW THE CARS. It's always about HIM. You get a roof line here, a fender there but the camera is always focused on his face and his reaction to the car. Then the owner's face and his reaction to the guy who's looking at his car.
Also, the host has this irritating habit of pronouncing whatever piece of crap he's looking at as the 'probably the finest example available in the state of Colorado'. Like that '66 Charger he paid $10,000 for last night.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
Ok, you guys have about the same reaction to it as I have. I can take the scripting. What I want to see is some decent work on the cars and some interesting cars.
My main complaint about ACP is that, I might find it interesting to watch a show about old cars being found in barns and etc....What I don't want to watch is a show about a guy who finds old cars in barns and etc.
THEY NEVER SHOW THE CARS. It's always about HIM. You get a roof line here, a fender there but the camera is always focused on his face and his reaction to the car. Then the owner's face and his reaction to the guy who's looking at his car.
Also, the host has this irritating habit of pronouncing whatever piece of crap he's looking at as the 'probably the finest example available in the state of Colorado'. Like that '66 Charger he paid $10,000 for last night.
Not only that, but he's a huge doofus too!

1979 Trans Am 400, 4-speed, 4 wheel disc.

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Ride along in the other lane-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzgpLtF_uw
Old 01-14-2014, 09:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Awful show. I actually gave it a chance and watched a little here and there. The final straw was the POS 1970 442 with the column shift that looked like it was setting in a scrapyard for 10 years and he didn't stop drooling over it and saying how great the condition was. Total bunch of BS and he's a jackass.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:26 PM
Senior Chief

I stopped watching the car prospector, i now watch the hollywood hillbillies

not

Old 01-14-2014, 10:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkillphil View Post
Awful show. I actually gave it a chance and watched a little here and there. The final straw was the POS 1970 442 with the column shift that looked like it was setting in a scrapyard for 10 years and he didn't stop drooling over it and saying how great the condition was. Total bunch of BS and he's a jackass.

That was my last episode too... It looked like a decent 'rough' project car from what I could see of it...but they never really showed it. Just his goofy face as he's looking at the car.
The one that really got me was $10,000 for that '66 Charger that had been sitting for many, many years from the look of it. At least the 442 was a driver and he paid just over half what he paid for the Charger. I think he estimated the finished value of the Charger at $40K (or maybe that was the 442)....right.
Even if true, what they didn't mention is that it would take at least that much to restore it.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Watched it once, and done. It's one of the worst on TV.

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
The Following User Says Thank You to keith k For This Useful Post: