Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 01-13-2014, 12:46 AM
Senior Chief

Default Questions on Butler performance BPI 315 cfm heads

Hey there guys before I take the plunge and order my heads has any one used the Buttler performance BPI ported race heads? I have been looking at the KRE hp heads only because of the rated 330cfm out of the box. But I have never worked with KRE. for the price it seams like a good deal. Now as for the Buttler BPI heads here are the head specs

Edelbrock Aluminum Round Port Cylinder Heads
72cc Ported Heads with Ferrea Valves, 10 Degree Retainers & Locks, ARP 7/16 Studs, Hyd or Solid Springs 315+ CFM @ 28" (Can produce 700+ HP)

Now I have worked with Buttler before And loved the customer service My hole bottom end is Buttler. My goal is 550 whp with a 250 shot of nitrous also looking to get 12.5 to1 compression running e85. So what set of heads would you suggest I would like to get the best head for my money and have it be some thing I can grow into if needed as it takes some time for me to make big purchases like this.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:11 AM
Suspended

I think the Butler E-heads or KRE High ports will meet you goal of 550 hp. I've had good success with KRE and Butler. From a performance perspective, the KRE High Ports have more portential for performance improvement down the road.

The E-heads will be capped at ~350 cfm without sleeving the push rod. The High Ports will go 400 cfm before sleeving the push rod.

The High Port has a more efficient combustion chamber as compared to the E-heads.

You will be ok either way you go. If you're looking for growth in the future, the KRE package will likely provide the advantage.

Good luck with your build!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aaron Quinton For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2014, 01:34 AM
Senior Chief

Thanks Aron now I read that KRE's flow bench reads 5% higher than like the flow bench buttler uses what are your thoughts on that? Sorry for all the questions this is just a big investment for me lol

Old 01-13-2014, 09:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Go with the Butler heads... They will be fine and can be ported for more power down the road..

First ultra street/ultimate street NOS car to get into the 4's!
1.079 4.559 153.23.
3100 lbs
7.77 @ 169 1/4 Mile (2015) with EHTTFMF!!
T2TTFMF!

Special Thanks to:
Ron at Rhodes Custom Auto
Butler Peformance
Jim Hostler's Transmissions (HOSGTO) on here
Induction Solutions
BES Racing Engines.
Cheeseburger
VP Racing Fuels
Calvert Racing
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Kinsler For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2014, 09:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, the KRE flow bench seems to be a tad high. That being said you do not need 315cfm to produce 550 hp.
In fact since you did not post any other info about the rest of the car for us to go by I will say this, if your cars chassis and rubber are not set up to handle 550 hp which can be easily had with only 280 intake cfm, than heads flowing more cfm will not make the car any more fun to drive on the street, or make good ET numbers at the strip.
Your better off setting the car up to be able to plant 700 hp and then pulling the heads off to port for higher power levels.
All to often folks drop in a motor making 600 hp and in short order even on a well built bottom end,drop a rod from the effects of not knowing how to tune even a 475 hp motor, do not be one of those guys!

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 01-13-2014, 10:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have ran both eheads and the HPs and in neither cheerleader camp.

The HPs are by far the best bang for the buc not counting less cost.

1.thicker deck,.... retains head gasket integrity better.

2. Better combustion chambers,....less timing for max performance. Less prone to blowing a hole in the head between the two center adjacent exhausts.

3. Out of the box HPs will easily make 700hp. If you want to talk flow numbers, I have flowed a stock HP on Meaux's sf 600 bench (TV will vouch for the accuracy of his bench) with a 2.075" intake and it went 317 cfm @ .700 lift. on a 4.125 bore.

4. The HP uses the same t&d shaft system as the e head. I have not done back to back tests, but believe the HP runs cooler also. I ran a set of roller cam HPs on a circle track app for a season and a half, never a issue, never had the head off the block, the engine is in my street car now, still going.

Last edited by J.C.you; 01-13-2014 at 10:34 AM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to J.C.you For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2014, 10:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Either head will meet your goals. I would not worry much about flow benches being "happy" as they all vary a bit. I personally think the KRE Highport will give you a little more room to grow. Obviously Eheads can be manipulated to make big hp, but starting fresh the HP is a better start.

Being dead, it is not hard on you. You don't even know you're dead. It is hard on everyone else that is not dead.
BEING STUPID WORKS THE SAME WAY! The rest of us suffer.
The Following User Says Thank You to mike leech For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2014, 11:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I was very impressed with the 330 hiports. I lthink the improved fhamber will aid the e85 application as well. Great horse power potential fire the $$ spent. I suggest a matched Victor or Northwind.

1972 Maverick under slow construction
Old 01-13-2014, 11:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C.you View Post
I have ran both eheads and the HPs and in neither cheerleader camp.

The HPs are by far the best bang for the buc not counting less cost.

1.thicker deck,.... retains head gasket integrity better.

2. Better combustion chambers,....less timing for max performance. Less prone to blowing a hole in the head between the two center adjacent exhausts.

3. Out of the box HPs will easily make 700hp. If you want to talk flow numbers, I have flowed a stock HP on Meaux's sf 600 bench (TV will vouch for the accuracy of his bench) with a 2.075" intake and it went 317 cfm @ .700 lift. on a 4.125 bore.

4. The HP uses the same t&d shaft system as the e head. I have not done back to back tests, but believe the HP runs cooler also. I ran a set of roller cam HPs on a circle track app for a season and a half, never a issue, never had the head off the block, the engine is in my street car now, still going.
J.C.
Half of the people on PY probable do not know who Larry is and a good amount who do may know him as the author of PipeMax and just want to call him a calculator racer. But whatever comes out of Larry's shop is always excellent and you will not find anyone who is more willing than Larry to share information.

Stan

David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization - Cam Selection Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
Download FREE 14 Trial IOP / Flow Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV/Flow_..._Day_Trial.php
Pontiac Pump Gas List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_gas.htm
Using PMD Block and Heads List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_pmd.htm
The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Weiss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2014, 07:01 PM
Senior Chief

Thank guys my block is a 73 455 bored 30 over so 462 with butler / ross 9.5 to1 pistons and eagle 4340 H beam rods block is being filled along with pro gram engineering 4 bolt main caps all ARP hard ware to try and keep her together as of right know stock crank but I am thinking of forking out the money for a nice forged crank. I was originally looking at the KRE hp heads with the 64 cc chambers to gain the 12.5 to 1 compression running E85 and Nitrous. As far as intake I do have a 4150 victor that I am thinking will need to port matched for the heads carb and cam I am still looking for good choices so be willing to take suggestions there to. As far as chassis it will be set up for the added power as well stiffen the chassis / currie 9 inch stock suspension IN the rear / tubular upper and lower a arms / tires in the rear are Mickey Thompson 275/60/15 drag radials I hope this enough info and please feel free to add your opinion on things.

Thank you guys again for your help and like I said 550 was the goal if it makes more power and can stay together even better not going to try and push her to much revving it to only 5 to 55

Old 01-13-2014, 07:29 PM
Suspended

What car body are you building the engine for. ?? Also what is it or does it weigh??

The Following User Says Thank You to rexs73gto For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2014, 07:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

I had the Butler 315's on my 474 with a small roller (very streetable with power brakes) a 4150 Holley and went 10.90's @ 126 with 3.42 gears and a 3500 converter in a 77 TA 3650lbs.

The Following User Says Thank You to David Holmberg For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2014, 07:45 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexs73gto View Post
What car body are you building the engine for. ?? Also what is it or does it weigh??
It's a 68 LeMans stock weight full interior / sleeper lol I will try and shave some weight here and there but it is going to be heavy unfortunately the wife said I can build it any way I want as long as it will take her and the two kids also lol. From what I have found it weighs 3'277 prolly shipped dry with out fluids but I have not had it weighed yet

Last edited by demonic68; 01-13-2014 at 08:01 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonic68 View Post
Hey there guys before I take the plunge and order my heads has any one used the Buttler performance BPI ported race heads?......
Now I have worked with Buttler before And loved the customer service My hole bottom end is Buttler...So what set of heads would you suggest I would like to get the best head for my money and have it be some thing I can grow into if needed as it takes some time for me to make big purchases like this.
Spelling matters. Just saying.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:23 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud View Post
Sorry I am stuck using my phone and I try to go over every thing the best I can but some times I miss things

Old 01-13-2014, 08:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonic68 View Post
From what I have found it weighs 3'277 prolly shipped dry with out fluids but I have not had it weighed yet
Change the 2 to a 5 and you will have the real world weight.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:34 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinInjun View Post
Change the 2 to a 5 and you will have the real world weight.
Yeah I thought that was to good to be true.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud View Post
I see what you did there.....hole bottom is Buttler....LOL!

Being dead, it is not hard on you. You don't even know you're dead. It is hard on everyone else that is not dead.
BEING STUPID WORKS THE SAME WAY! The rest of us suffer.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:54 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike leech View Post
I see what you did there.....hole bottom is Buttler....LOL!
LOL yes I did see that I completely Raped Butlers name to and forgot the w in whole

Old 01-13-2014, 09:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

technical reading & writing skills, a curse & a blessing. HIS

Back to topic

The Following User Says Thank You to Half-Inch Stud For This Useful Post: