Old 12-29-2013, 07:13 PM
Senior Chief

Default 68 GTO won't start

Chicken **** wiring in the engine bay. Some in the interior. Pulled out the radio and corresponding wires. Other wires that did not attach anywhere where yanked as well. Many splices. Have a new battery and checked the cables. Accel coil that I am not sure is connected right either. When the key is on I get temp and gen lights on, but upon start nothing. I get buzzer when door is open and lamp under the dash pad works when swathed on. Where to start looking? Ingition to solenoid? Coil? Alt wiring?

Old 12-30-2013, 10:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Check for power to purple wire at solenoid when key is turned to start. If yes, check solenoid. If no, follow wire back thru neutral safety switch to ignition switch checking continuity as you go. Could also be something as simple as a poor ground or a dead short, robbing the system of enough power to start. Check battery cable connections and resistance.

The Following User Says Thank You to paint guy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2013, 06:48 PM
Senior Chief

Pulled the starter and bench tested it. Could not get the shaft to engage by powering the solenoid. Had a working starter and swapped it in. Could not verify if I am getting power to the solenoid. Need a second hand and no one home.

Do 68s have a neutral safety switch? I thought I read on here the neutral safety switch did not start until 69? Just trying to rule out other problems. The harness to the his her shifter is not hooked up. I have also tried starting in neutral and park. No luck.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You should definitely have a neutral safety switch with auto trans. If you don't have parts of this circuit connected, the starter will not engage.

When you bench test the starter you need to connect the case to battery negative and need to use a battery as a power source, the starter draws a lot of juice, testing it with a weaker power source won't work.

George

Old 12-30-2013, 08:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yes the neutral (or Park) safety is on the shifter if an automatic, 4 speed I believe use a switch on the clutch to insure its to the floor for starting. I had a lot of problems with voltage drop on my automatic 68 with that console switch. Finally replaced it and they went away.

TigerEFI.com (Classic Pontiac Fuel Injection)
2004 GTO Company car, 1994 TA 25th Anv, 1971 Grand Safari Wagon, 1968 GTO EFI, 1968 GTO Stock, 1968 GTO Convertible in desperate need of restoration.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

4 speed I believe use a switch on the clutch to insure its to the floor for starting .[/QUOTE]

Not on a 68. 69 + for manual trans.

Old 12-31-2013, 06:16 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by george kujanski View Post
You should definitely have a neutral safety switch with auto trans. If you don't have parts of this circuit connected, the starter will not engage.
George
George. This was the issue. The harness was not connected. Previous life someone used the harness for some kind of switches that I removed. All the harness wires were there based off a pontiac restoration guide I have. So I hooked up the two purple wires to the neutral safety switch, and the two green wires to the backup lights and grounded it with the black wire. I had to wobble the shifter a bit to make it connect. The switch worked once I got it to line up and I got the car running. Yeah!

Electrical is my least favorite thing to do so thanks to all the replies on here to help me trouble shoot this.