THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 12-07-2013, 01:24 PM
Senior Chief

Default i want to find my first car....

Luckily ive kept my hands on my gto but I sold my 1968 dodge dart in the early 2000s. To a guy who drove it to Sault ate Marie Ontario. I bought it when i was in grade 9 for 175.00 and sold it to pay for school for apprenticeship training.I tracked it down there and he had sold it to somebody in Detroit. What's the best way to track it down. I'd like to buy it back if possible. I have the vin. Any suggestions.?

Old 12-07-2013, 01:49 PM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by yak View Post
Any suggestions.?
Have a cop buddy? Easiest way to get into the DMV database.

And in many states, the DMV could tell you the present owner, although some have tightened up on that lately.

~Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts
Old 12-07-2013, 02:16 PM
Suspended

I would definitely want to know how you got my contact info and I'd be highly suspicious that you used the illegal advice given above. In fact if you contacted me out of the blue like that with no evidence it wasn't done legally, I'd probably make sure there was an official report that an unknown person had gotten my info to attempt to acquire my car. I'd be concerned it was going to be stolen if they're going to use that method to get to me.

The proper way would be to run an ad, get in contact with someone in the area into Darts specifically. Look for a registry, etc.. In the Detroit area, that could be a real challenge doing it legally being the Motor City.

Old 12-07-2013, 02:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Maybe register on forabodiesonly.com and post your story there. Pictures may help, too.
Regarding the DMV route, a cop I know says that stuff is watched so closely, people have lost jobs trying it since 9/11.

Old 12-07-2013, 03:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just go to WalMart. Anything scrapped in the last 20yrs ended up in China.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 12-07-2013, 04:54 PM
Senior Chief

Smile Ignore the troll...

And try this link. If it doesn't work, PM me.

http://www.vehiclehistoryrecord.com/

Old 12-07-2013, 05:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 4spd. View Post
Regarding the DMV route, a cop I know says that stuff is watched so closely, people have lost jobs trying it since 9/11.
Yup. If a police officer or DMV employee is caught accessing those records for unofficial business, it can cost them their job. This route really isn't valid anymore as a result.

Best bet is trying to post on the forums for fans of those cars that get a lot of traffic. Chances are someone has seen it or knows of it.

Old 12-07-2013, 06:02 PM
Senior Chief

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben M. View Post
Yup. If a police officer or DMV employee is caught accessing those records for unofficial business, it can cost them their job. This route really isn't valid anymore as a result.

Best bet is trying to post on the forums for fans of those cars that get a lot of traffic. Chances are someone has seen it or knows of it.
My woman is a PI. Her company simply posted a bond with the DMV and any California information is available to her.

Of course, before accessing the database, she has to determine that it's for a "lawful purpose." I think locating a car for nostalgia purposes meets that requirement.

And again, many states have open DMV records, although as I said, not as many as previously.

Old 12-07-2013, 06:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

PI no ****?
Interesting...

Old 12-07-2013, 06:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dillon View Post
My woman is a PI. Her company simply posted a bond with the DMV and any California information is available to her.

Of course, before accessing the database, she has to determine that it's for a "lawful purpose." I think locating a car for nostalgia purposes meets that requirement.

And again, many states have open DMV records, although as I said, not as many as previously.
Depends on who shares... Posting a bond with the California DMV does work, but if California can't get it then that's the end of that. Assuming they will release the info, they did back in 2000 when I last did it but recently was told they will just tell you if it is in a system at all for registration purposes. Not to mention not all states share with California: Texas actually refused to share VIN info on a car with California over parking tickets on a car I sold years back that was registered in Texas so I got stuck with them.

A title agency helped me sort out this problem once before, but they were really secretive over what info they would give out (owner name: yes, address: no) and it did cost a bit. I don't know if other states have similar agencies like California does.

Old 12-07-2013, 06:26 PM
Senior Chief

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben M. View Post
Depends on who shares...
Glad we agree. The bond amount is 20K, and the business is audited annually by the DMV. Most of her pulls are for service of legal process or witness location.

Old 12-07-2013, 07:24 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Have a cop buddy? Easiest way to get into the DMV database.
He didn't troll anybody. This is not the same advice as hiring a PI to do it legally.

Old 12-07-2013, 07:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
And try this link. If it doesn't work, PM me.

http://www.vehiclehistoryrecord.com/
This didn't work for me. I got some general info, but they said because it's older than 1981, they don't have that info.

469, M21, 3.42

Old 12-07-2013, 07:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd like to find my 1st car too.... '66 2+2...silver...black interior...black vinyl top...last seen in Casper Wyoming...1984...

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles
Old 12-07-2013, 11:18 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam View Post
This didn't work for me. I got some general info, but they said because it's older than 1981, they don't have that info.

I tried it they said they had info on the car so I paid and I found out nothing. Will see if I get my money back.

Old 12-07-2013, 11:20 PM
Senior Chief

I put a post on forabodiesonly so hopefully I hear something someday

Old 12-07-2013, 11:23 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier62 View Post
Just go to WalMart. Anything scrapped in the last 20yrs ended up in China.
This is so helpful . Thanks!!!!!!

Old 12-08-2013, 10:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I tried it they said they had info on the car so I paid and I found out nothing. Will see if I get my money back.
Maybe Bob's girlfriend can find your money.

Old 12-08-2013, 12:48 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Luckily ive kept my hands on my gto but I sold my 1968 dodge dart in the early 2000s. To a guy who drove it to Sault ate Marie Ontario. I bought it when i was in grade 9 for 175.00 and sold it to pay for school for apprenticeship training.I tracked it down there and he had sold it to somebody in Detroit. What's the best way to track it down. I'd like to buy it back if possible. I have the vin. Any suggestions.?
Maybe I can help you. I live in a suburb outside of Detroit (okay, stop laughing) and there is a guy that lives not far from me that has one or two Darts (67, 68 or 69 vintage 2-doors). When the weather is good I see (and hear) him go by my home from time to time. I know the street he lives on, I'm just not sure which house is his. In order to get to a main road I regularly travel down his street. If you want I'll try to figure out which house is his and then try to find out his name and perhaps a phone number. While he may not have your particular Dart, he may know of Dart Clubs in the Detroit area or know of other Dart owners. Because it's now December I don't expect to see/hear his Dart(s) going by my home until spring. Let me know if you want me to start looking for his house.

The Following User Says Thank You to 1969GiPper For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2013, 12:54 PM
Suspended

It won't be long until the old cat is intently watching the new cat having a ball playing. Then one day he'll/she'll decide to join in. The bonding moment with our new and old cat was when I decided to play drums for the first time since the new cat moved in. After I quit I found them hiding together side by side.