Old 11-27-2013, 06:39 PM

Default swapping out the transmission

hello, can anybody tell me in detail all that is required in swapping the slim jim in my 63 catalina transmission to a turbo 400 transmission. I hear a lot of things, but can someone let me know about driveshaft lengths, shift linkage, trans mount and cross member, clearance issues, just basically all I will need to know for this swap, I hear of so many people doing this, I just wanted to do this as well. thank you, hope to hear from you, Ken

Old 11-27-2013, 06:44 PM

Default swapping out transmissions

hello, can someone who has done this swap, please let me know what ill need and what are the procedures ill need to know for swapping my slim jim trans out of my 63 Catalina, to a turbo 400 transmission., for example, what year turbo 400 ill need, shift linkage issues, trans mount and cross member issues, drive shaft length issues, clearance issues, speedometer cable lengths, etc, I really would appreciate anybodys help who have done this, Thank you so much, Ken.

Old 11-27-2013, 06:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ken,,Ya missed by that much!!

Go one tech forum down & post in the 62-66 big car forum for help with the trans swap.

POCI.org
The Following User Says Thank You to mechanickeith For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2013, 08:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Search the forums

First you need to search the forums, there is a ton of information regarding this swap.

You need to see if your block is 1963 and if it has the starter bolt mounting holes on it. Some 1963 and earlier Jims had the starter mounted to the transmission.

The th400 can be any year, 1965 and up and needs the BOP bolt pattern, unless you want to get into conversion plates. You'll need to modify your crossmsmber or switch it out. The driverhaft may have to be tossed. Shiftworks kit works if you have a console shifter.

I'll let others chime in from here, this should get your planning started.

Good luck,
Greg

Old 11-27-2013, 09:43 PM

Another thing to watch out for is the dip stick / fill tube. The previous owner of my 62 Bonneville installed a 1968 400 and t-400 trans. It had a trans leak that I traced to where the fill tube fits into the trans. What happened is that in order for the engine to fit on the mounts it forced the fill tube against the fire wall which cocked the tube where it fits into the trans enough so the O-ring couldn't seal it.

When I replaced that engine with the 461 I was determined to fix that problem. But in order to do that I would need to bash the crap out of the firewall. Not something I wanted to do so I dug through my stack of tubes and found one that hugs the case all the way up to where it bolts to the head. I don't know what year it is but I now have clearance ... not much ... but better than what I had before. Maybe one of the t-400 experts on here knows what year/s had that kind of fill tube.

TS

Old 11-27-2013, 10:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Interestingly enough, it's a lot like installing a 400 trans in an early Tempest. You have to modify the tunnel.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Exclamation double post warning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Banshee View Post
Interestingly enough, it's a lot like installing a 400 trans in an early Tempest. You have to modify the tunnel.
...been there, disagree with that. The TH400 requires minimal (if any) tunnel mods.

Anyway, please go HERE for this topic...
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=742319

Old 11-27-2013, 11:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Biggest hurtle is the starter issue. IMO, you need to determine your plan of attack here first ('64+ block? newer engine? starter plate? rebuild the POS slip-jim? )

Lokar and other street rod suppliers offer a suitable TH400 dipstick/tube if you can't source one from a boneyard. I think the TH400 and dipstick I ran in my '62 was from a '72 Cutlass and it was O-Tay.

Old 11-28-2013, 01:09 AM

I would steer clear of the Lokar unit. The one I bought was too short which was my screwup but in addition to that the flex hose is only 3/8" ID. Imagine trying to fill your trans with a hole that small. How much time do you have to spend? LOL

AB

The Following User Says Thank You to TSMartin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2013, 09:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I had to modify my tunnel slightly to achieve clearance but NBD.