Old 11-10-2013, 12:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to 3 Deuce 64
Default 1970 Bonneville

Well I picked up the 1970 Bonneville tonight it's been sitting since 1992 but still owned by the original purchaser . Seems to be pretty solid except for the trunk lid so If I can get the old girl running I'll be looking for a deck lid if not I'm going to part it out 455 a/c car .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1150.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	342516  

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but
they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a
status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them,
which would include their own government." — George Washington

Last edited by 3 Deuce 64; 11-10-2013 at 12:33 AM.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I hope you can save the old girl. That'd be a nice cruiser for sure!
I've really been enjoying driving our big Pontiacs lately. They just put me in a relaxed mood, floating along effortlessly. One of these days I'll have to get a big 'vert.

1979 Trans Am 400, 4-speed, 4 wheel disc.

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Ride along in the other lane-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzgpLtF_uw
Old 11-10-2013, 09:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I love convertibles.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:47 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Keep it get it running and go for a ride. You will change your mind. Don't part it that's why these cars are not around anymore. People would steal the 455 and the rest of the drive train,but junk the rest. Here is my bonneville I had #matching too. Of course I sol it for personal reason but I miss it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2012-06-27_15-29-42_478.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	342543  

1968 lemans :In progress!
1970 Bonneville 455 HO convertible (survivor)sold
1969 firebird
Old 11-10-2013, 11:29 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via ICQ to David Brown

I have owned mine since 1979. Under a restoration now, but it is a great car to take on the road. Eats up the miles in comfort and has a trunk big enough to take everything. Including the stuff your wife insists she needs.

Old 11-10-2013, 05:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
I have owned mine since 1979. Under a restoration now, but it is a great car to take on the road. Eats up the miles in comfort and has a trunk big enough to take everything. Including the stuff your wife insists she needs.
Dave remember back to 5 /2011 in a post I snagged a 4 dr hard top I saved a lot of parts from that car now I wish I had pulled the trunk lid , hood etc never really thought I would find a car like this . Hind sight is always 20/20 .I've been getting rid of things because of health reasons so my wife wouldn't have such a mess if something happens. I sold my 68 cat but love driving my 64 cat when I can. I would love to get this road worthy again if possible.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txbobcat View Post
I love convertibles.
me too over the years I've had several convertibles : a 57 Ford Fairlane 500, 58 FF 500, 56 Thunderbird, 78 VW, 69 Firebird , 69 Ford LTD , 67 Lemans , 67 GTO , 65 lemans , 6 A body 64s 2 were GTOs 1 tempest custom , 3 Lemans , 68 GTO , 70 lemans .

Now I have a 67 GTO, 2 64 GTOs, 56 T Bird , 91 cutlass , and now this 70 Bonne . So I'm defiantly a topless guy ah drop top car guy

Old 11-11-2013, 09:55 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I bought a 70 2 door Bonne parts car back in the 80s that I wish I had stripped more parts from. It was without engine and transmission, but I bought it cheap for the front bumper, which are very prone to rust through. It was years ago for sure, but I would love to have all that sheet metal as well as other mechanical and trim parts. I don't really need much, but you never know when you might and it is getting very hard to find it. I'm sure it was crushed and has probably been reconstituted several times as throw away garbage Detroit has made over the past 25 or 30 years.

I have only had 3 convertibles through the years, but like them the best too. I had a 1964 Thunderbird that was an AACA and VTCI Senior car, my 70 Bonneville and our 72 Cutlass. The Cutlass we bought because the Bonneville was off the road and we missed a convertible. My wife called me and said she saw a convertible for sale on the side of the road on her way to work. She wasn't sure what it was, but it was triple white. I went down to look at it and bought it. We drive it a lot, take road trips with it and we like it...but it is not the Bonneville!

Last edited by David Brown; 11-11-2013 at 09:57 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-12-2013, 11:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Pic of the car I tried to get it home last night but the ground was too wet where we had to pull the car through it rolls easy but there is a pretty major incline out of the guys back yard all I did was spin with my 4 wheel drive . Maybe a tractor will do it but it snowed last night oh joy .

He had gravel and plastic under the car and for several years he had a portable shelter over it until that collapsed then he just put a tarp over the top to keep the interior dry so I'm hoping the underside isn't to bad. I want to get it home you guys know how that is, I'm a bit frustrated .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	70 Bonneville.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	342857  

Old 11-12-2013, 11:12 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Deuce 64 View Post
Pic of the car I tried to get it home last night but the ground was too wet where we had to pull the car through it rolls easy but there is a pretty major incline out of the guys back yard all I did was spin with my 4 wheel drive . Maybe a tractor will do it but it snowed last night oh joy .

He had gravel and plastic under the car and for several years he had a portable shelter over it until that collapsed then he just put a tarp over the top to keep the interior dry so I'm hoping the underside isn't to bad. I want to get it home you guys know how that is, I'm a bit frustrated .
I may be wrong but right where the horns are and the headlights.It looks light blue and the rest of the car is silver. Is this just the light hitting it kaing it look blue?

1969 firebird
Old 11-12-2013, 12:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68lemansman View Post
I may be wrong but right where the horns are and the headlights.It looks light blue and the rest of the car is silver. Is this just the light hitting it kaing it look blue?
Ya just the light it's silver all original paint what's left of it . never wrecked of tampered with. That's the nice thing about getting a car from the original owner . They had a lot of stories about the car . I'm going to ask them if they'll write some of them down for a car history. They gave me this pic from 1980 Daytona beach.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bonneville  Daytona Beach 1980.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	342862  

Old 11-15-2013, 02:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Finally got it home

This poor old girl was parked in the owners back yard for 21 years ago. He did put down gravel and a plastic over the gravel and then a portable shelter over the car. From time to time he would start it. then the shelter collapsed so he covered it with a tarp that's when it really went down hill as far as the paint. then he could no longer get it started. so for the past three years it just sat there in the elements going down hill . we've been trying all week to get it home first it was too muddy the it froze and snowed . Joe cleaned the snow off the drive going down over the bank and I mean a bank to the lower yard where the car was parked. with the four wheel drives we had available and one was a full size Chevy we couldn't get the Bonne up over the first grade. so today we took some time and actually got her running. with her assistance and the truck pulling we got her up and out . She is now home. I am really amazed with the condition of the floor and trunk pans they are rock solid, even the exhaust was still intact. I think this was a lucky find and will make a real nice driver. There is going to be another Dark sider coming back to life
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20131114_163037.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	343176   Click image for larger version

Name:	20131114_163142.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	343177   Click image for larger version

Name:	20131114_163305.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	343178   Click image for larger version

Name:	20131114_163555.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	343179   Click image for larger version

Name:	20131114_163502.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	343180  

Old 11-15-2013, 06:45 AM
Senior Chief

Thumbs up

Wow... well done!

Old 11-15-2013, 08:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow! She looks good for having sat that long!
What's the problem with the trunk lid? Looks okay in the pictures.

1979 Trans Am 400, 4-speed, 4 wheel disc.

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Ride along in the other lane-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzgpLtF_uw
Old 11-15-2013, 10:34 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Looks pretty good to me. Seems to be all there. With a total Bonneville Convertible production in 1970 at 3537, this is a pretty rare car to find. And the number that went to the crusher after the 455 was removed further reduces the surviving numbers.

Since I bought mine in 1979, I can count the number I have personally seen on less than both hands. Only ONCE has there been another at a show where I displayed my car, and that was the Daytona Turkey Run with about 5000 cars. It was a really rough rust bucket that had a quick rattle can repaint. I saw a HPOF (untouched survivor) at Hershey a few years back, and one at a local car show I stopped by. Other than 2 or 3 I have passed on the road over the past 34 years, that's it!

And it has Rally Gauges! Nice!

Old 11-15-2013, 11:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatless View Post
Wow! She looks good for having sat that long!
What's the problem with the trunk lid? Looks okay in the pictures.
underside is rusted on the lip the door bottoms and wheelhouse extensions are solid . I think what the problem was mice made nests in there and their body wastes caused the problem. one of the forum members has one right now I'm tapped out to buy anything .I shouldn't have bought this especially with Christmas coming up but just couldn't let it go. I'll post some underside shots later

Old 11-15-2013, 11:43 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 70 Bonnie convertible

Wow!! Great find and big kudos to you for saving her.
The gauges are a great addition. Any other options on the car?
My friend Ron in Fresno, CA has a blue one with tan interior. Beautiful car. Yours in silver and black will be awesome. Along with Dave Brown here on the forum these are the only 3 I am aware of.
Let me know if I can help in any way. I have a a '69 Bonneville convertible and many of the interior and engine parts carried over. I have quite a few extra parts acquired over the years that I am looking to thin out now that my car has everything I want for it.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:47 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Deuce 64 View Post
Ya just the light it's silver all original paint what's left of it . never wrecked of tampered with. That's the nice thing about getting a car from the original owner . They had a lot of stories about the car . I'm going to ask them if they'll write some of them down for a car history. They gave me this pic from 1980 Daytona beach.
Seems like you got yourself a great car and a good story behind it. I liked the pic from the 80s you posted of the car. Can't wait to see the completion of it.

1969 firebird
Old 11-15-2013, 01:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jason nice looking 69 Bird you don't see a lot of them compared to the other 69 f body that Chevy made.

pic of my 69 ,bought it in 1980 . It was shipped to Hawaii new in June of 69 I have the plates and paperwork from there.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMGP1732.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	343211  

Old 11-15-2013, 01:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubomber View Post
Wow!! Great find and big kudos to you for saving her.
The gauges are a great addition. Any other options on the car?
My friend Ron in Fresno, CA has a blue one with tan interior. Beautiful car. Yours in silver and black will be awesome. Along with Dave Brown here on the forum these are the only 3 I am aware of.
Let me know if I can help in any way. I have a a '69 Bonneville convertible and many of the interior and engine parts carried over. I have quite a few extra parts acquired over the years that I am looking to thin out now that my car has everything I want for it.
The mice chewed some of the wires under the hood and the vacuum hoses as well. I haven't check the book yet but I do have a question where does the vacuum hose for the heater control valve pick off ? .car has A/C